Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU-OL-Example Of "bloated" star ratings!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,652

FSU-OL-Example Of "bloated" star ratings!

Feb 6, 2019, 10:16 PM

The FSU OL from top to bottom was more stars than was the Clemson OL. All the folks on TNET who have been complaining about it; please go look at film of the "crim-i-nols" OL. The last two or 3 years they have been horrendous! You say, "they weren't coached well"! Hmmm, maybe think, the 3 star we have was coached so well; it don't matter! We will at least neutralize your 4 or 5 star DL.

Francois took a beating back there his RS freshman year and last year! Blackmon is a bit more mobile but he still got rocked a bunch.

If you have to have the very best "rated player" at each position. Are you really a good coach or are you relying solely on that players ability?

And remember, only so many kids in a given year are 5 stars. Only so many are given a 4 star rating. If player A's abilities are equal to player B's ability as far as motor, technique, skill. But, player B is say, 2 inches taller and weighs 15 more LBS, he will likely get rated higher! So what; you throw out player A b/c he is 2 inches shorter? No. You can put some weight on him and it can be "smart weight"! You can't make him taller; but if all else is equal. Give me that 3 star that would have been a 4 if not for some other kid (key phrase) being more college ready at the moment! That's really all it is!
You have no way of being able to measure Heart and Desire! So they use height and weight and 40 times. All of which can be ideal: "but you can't play football as well as a guy without all those measurables"! Give me the kid who can play football better over the "eye test winner"!

The FSU OL top to bottom ( except Mitch Hyatt ) had the Clemson OL in star ratings. But, one was excellent and the other got their QB destroyed multiple times a game. And, couldn't provide holes for the #1 rated RB a couple years ago. You recruiting rankings phreaks please take this in and stop it already! The coaches know what they are doing and "who they are and are not bringing in"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU-OL-Example Of "bloated" star ratings!

Feb 6, 2019, 10:28 PM

Forgot to add this: The old Nebraska I. Over Half of their OL were walk ons. They scored 638 pts. Averaged 53.2 points per game. Only averaging giving up 14.5 ppg which is where most of the scholarship kids were. But, their OL and offense had the ball so much, the other teams rarely had the football.

More food for thought!

Feb 6, 2019, 10:33 PM

https://www.huskermax.com/tom-osborne-importance-walk-ons/

OOPS!

Feb 6, 2019, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU-OL-Example Of "bloated" star ratings! ]

Very true. He said although NB rarely had top notch HS players, he recruited the top 3 or 4 players every year. It kept the doors open at all the HS and helped him land the walk-ons he wanted.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, but...these go to eleven***

Feb 6, 2019, 10:48 PM

Re: But, but...these go to eleven***

Feb 6, 2019, 10:56 PM

As stated before by others Camps and other things they go to for extra exposure helps some of them get that extra star. I trust Dabo and Co..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 5:59 AM

OL is the hardest position to recruit for because it’s hard to accurately project how much a 16-17 year old high school kid will continue to grow and how much weight they will gain. Some never gain the size and weight and others gain to much, resulting in a loss of speed. That’s why so many tightends get converted to OL. Clemson goes a good job of developing talent. We very seldom start a freshman OL, as Mitch Hyatt was the exception. Most of them will redshirt and spend extra years gaining weight, strength, and learning the technique needed to be successful.

Feb 7, 2019, 7:58 AM

This guy gets it. OL is the hardest to project. Clemson focuses on getting guys that can move and give effort until the whistle blows. Even if a bit undersized, we can grow them. Attitude is very important here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That or poor coaching once they got there.***

Feb 7, 2019, 6:00 AM

Feb 7, 2019, 9:25 AM

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Blackmon is more mobile than Frenchy.

Frenchy just refused to throw the ball away or leave the pocket when things broke down.

His inability to adjust his internal clock or make decisions to bail on bad plays almost got him killed multiple times in his career.

Blackmon seems to have a better internal clock.

Feb 7, 2019, 9:42 AM

Sounds like Frenchy was a lazy POS and a bad teammate. Maybe the OL just didn't feel like going to war (all in) with him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,652
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic