Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB: Top 5 RB's all time at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,335

FB: Top 5 RB's all time at Clemson

Feb 18, 2015, 1:03 AM

Forget injuries- just pure talent being a RB
1. Terry Allen
2. Raymond Priester
3. C. J. Spiller
4. Andre Ellington
5. Ronald Williams

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty solid list! Hard to argue any of them, but could

Feb 18, 2015, 1:30 AM

argue position of each on your list depending on your definition of what list of characteristics make up the "best RB" of all time; Be it quickness, pass protection, catching out of the backfield, vision, lateral quickness, straight out speed, etc. Great list IMO though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty solid list! Hard to argue any of them, but could

Feb 18, 2015, 11:36 AM

Does anybody remember Ray Yauger and Buddy Gore?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB: Top 5 RB's all time at Clemson

Feb 18, 2015, 2:20 AM

Worst list ever. 1. Allen 2. Spiller 3. Feaster 4. Priester 5. Ellington

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's awfully hard for me to leave KennyFlowers off that list***

Feb 18, 2015, 6:33 AM

Yep, and Terrence Flagler was darn good too.***

Feb 18, 2015, 9:00 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can just hear Jim Phillips calling Flagler's name.***

Feb 18, 2015, 9:01 AM

Flagler had 1,258 yards in '86, 6.6 ypc and 10 TDs.***

Feb 18, 2015, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Yep, and Terrence Flagler was darn good too.*** ]

Feb 18, 2015, 7:55 AM

1 Raymond Priester
2 Kenny Flowers
3 Terry Allen
4 CJ Spiller
5 Andre Ellington

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best thing about Allen was toughness andefficiency of motion

Feb 18, 2015, 8:35 AM

Ran forward, fell forward, 1-juke max; never any funny stuff

Best Clemson Running Back

Feb 18, 2015, 8:51 AM

I am old and remember the days when Buddy Gore was our premier runner well. Still it is impossible for me to rank anyone in Clemson history as a better running back than CJ Spiller.

Spiller holds the all purpose yardage record with 7588 yards and had an incredible 52 TDs. He leads Clemson in all time rushing yards per carry. While he does not hold the career rushing mark, his 3547 yards is only 419 yards behind Priester and Raymond had 200 more carries from scrimmage. No one is likely to ever exceed Spiller's mark of more than 20 TDs of more than 50 yards.

Here's what ESPN said about him when they looked back at their all time top players: "Spiller’s best season at Clemson would be his last. He was named unanimous All-American and ACC Player of the Year following his 2,680 all-purpose yard performance. He finished his career with 7,588 all-purpose yards and 52 touchdowns, including leaving the college ranks with the most kick off return touchdowns in FBS history."

I loved Terry Allen but it seems a real reach for anyone to rank any other Clemson RB ahead of CJ Spiller.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Clemson Running Back

Feb 18, 2015, 9:06 AM

Spiller was most electric by far, and dangerous all over the field; Allen was pitch and plow...over and over - Very different styles and utilization

Top this career rushing average

Feb 18, 2015, 9:15 AM

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/craig-crawford-1.html

I think he was called from the stands @ WF in 81 and given a Jersey on the sideline

As a "running back" Terry Allen was better than CJ

Feb 18, 2015, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Best Clemson Running Back ]

both at Clemson and in the NFL ...

CJ was (and continues to be) "Electric", which seems to be a euphemism for having the potential to break a long run at any time, but perhaps get stoned on 3rd and 1.

On the other hand Terry Allen had a certain amount of "Electricity" but mostly, he was just a solid, all around great ball carrier.

If I had the chance to get either Terry Allen or CJ Spiller (in their prime) back to play at Clemson next year, I'd lean heavily toward Terry Allen.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terry Allen was definitely the best we've had here

Feb 18, 2015, 8:17 AM

he ran fast and powerful and could get through defenders and pick up big yards with a more athletic track start type build. I'm waiting on us to get someone like that again. very much like an Adrian Peterson or Lesean Mccoy. Probably would have had a stellar NFL career had it not been for the ACL tear(s). He still did pretty dern good when he ran for the Ravens. I think he finished in the top 3 in one of those years in the early 90s for rushing yards. But that knee wouldn't let him do it for long.

#1 Allen Play - 1st dn on 3rd&13 v GA in 87 to set up win FG***

Feb 18, 2015, 8:46 AM

he broke an LB and SS's leg on that play if i remember

Feb 18, 2015, 10:59 AM

correctly...figuratively....cut hard at the line, then another downfield cut left them grabbing at air....he reminded me of Emmitt Smith with the between the tackles running ability. Put a foot in the ground and woooosh, another 5 yards. That stuff cannot be taught.

I think he went sky-borne on another play in that drive***

Feb 18, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to #1 Allen Play - 1st dn on 3rd&13 v GA in 87 to set up win FG*** ]

1.Spiller 2.Allen 3.Flowers 4.Priester 5. Ellington***

Feb 18, 2015, 10:13 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

My list, HB's and FB's

Feb 18, 2015, 10:55 AM

HB's
1. Terry Allen
2. Kenny Flowers
3. Cliff Austin
4. Chuck McSwain
5. James Davis

FB's
1. Marvin Sims
2. Kevin Mack
3. Emory Smith
4. Tracy Perry
5. Jeff McCall

CJ would be my all purpose back all over the field with AE in the mix.

Feb 18, 2015, 6:21 PM

I am obviously the only one who thinks Ronald Williams was an incredible pure running back. The knee the got hurt at GT game when Swilling slammed him out of bounds held him back from being one of the greats. Apparently he killed it in the CFL. I believe he won a grey cup or whatever their Super Bowl is called

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,335
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic