Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OSU vs USC and the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

OSU vs USC and the CFP

Dec 12, 2020, 12:06 AM

So after this weeks games USC (not to be confused with little brother) and OSU will have the exact same record. If both win conf championships next week both will be 6-0. Both will have benefited from an easy schedule. The committee seemingly has decided that USC hasn’t played enough games but somehow OSU has and the committee has one ranked 15 vs 4th. I wish someone would explain that to me.

FWIW I don’t think either deserves to be in but the hypocrisy is telling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OSU vs USC and the CFP

Dec 12, 2020, 12:50 AM

What part of “they are Ohio State” don’t you get?

I mean, of course they are in. They are THE Ohio State. And very well rested.

And you definitely don’t want to hear the whining if they were left out, not that that would ever happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 12, 2020, 4:57 AM

Well rested but nothing for Clemson to be scurred of. 2020 aOSU is a watered down version of last year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I absolutely know I will get flamed for this, but I don’t

Dec 12, 2020, 8:35 AM

really care.

As for being a watered down version of the team they were last year, so are we.

But I still think we’re better than 031O State (and Notre Dame), but will need our best game to beat Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: I absolutely know I will get flamed for this, but I don’t

Dec 12, 2020, 10:26 AM

Bill,

I am not scared of ND or OSU either, but our team is NOT a juggernaut (like year's past). We have to solve some real issues through our next 3 games and bring our A+ game every time. I am excited to see our guys rise to the challenge - but a challenge it is and perhaps the biggest one we have faced in the last 5 years. Go Tigers !!

Dec 13, 2020, 2:58 PM

Tobias, Ohio St lost as many players and more stars than Clemson - it will be a real hate fest and make no mistake they HATE Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 1:41 AM [ in reply to I absolutely know I will get flamed for this, but I don’t ]

I don't know. Our offense is worse this year because of a depleted receiving corps and terrible offensive line. But our defensive line sucked ### last year. Venables hid it by moving Simmons around, until LSU had too much talent to scheme around. But Murphy and Bresee are leagues better. Our defense has seemed dominant when it was actually healthy.

Oh ,,,, but I really, really would love to

Dec 12, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: OSU vs USC and the CFP ]

hear the whining. Please, please.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 1:20 AM

It is the big money who will tell the CFP committee who is in and who is out!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eye Test

Dec 12, 2020, 8:31 AM

Recruiting ranking(s), what they did last year, and (say it ain’t so) media bias.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

They should match those two up in a New Years 6 game....

Dec 12, 2020, 8:55 AM

Maybe the Fiesta Bowl could be Ohio State vs USC. Considering that many bowls will have less than desirable matchups...this would be a good game, I think.
That being said, I’d be stunned if Ohio St won the Big 10 and was left out...even if their record was 1-0.
Colorado also sits undefeated in the Pac12 and may not even play for their conference title. What a mess.

Problems with Eye Test

Dec 12, 2020, 9:14 AM

In normal years, the Eye Test has a little more validity when you can compare inter-conference games to measure conference strength.

This year (and to a degree, every year for the SEC), the Eye Test relies on biases. OSU gets so-called eye test points for beating "power houses" like Penn State and Nebraska. In reality, they beat one team that has a winning record, Indiana--and barely beat them.

Of course, the SEC gets the benefit of this bias every year. Credit is given for beating power houses such as Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, etc. The SEC, like almost every other conference, has 2 or 3 teams that are good and the rest of the conference is on the same level as the rest of the other conferences.

So, the Eye Test when we are only looking at conference games is not a strong argument. The original poster on this topic uses a great comparison between OSU and (the real) USC to prove this.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The irony this time is that....

Dec 12, 2020, 9:45 AM

Ohio St is going to take a spot from the SEC...or perhaps Notre Dame in certain circumstancesz
We’ll get to see which of the ‘biases’ holds up during this process.
Right now it looks like the committee has already lined up with Ohio St.
Texas A&M probably needed a game this week with Ole Miss...they could have prime-timed it and given them a showcase.

Re: The irony this time is that....

Dec 12, 2020, 10:33 AM

I actually feel for Texas A & M. They lost to the #1 team in the nation and they are out.

Meanwhile, OSU has beaten - Indiana - and they are a lock.

The same could be said for ND after we beat them.

Dec 13, 2020, 1:22 AM

And here we are...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coastal Carolina has a better resume than both of them.

Dec 13, 2020, 2:26 AM

A truly objective playoff committee would take that into consideration, but we know that won’t happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Coastal Carolina has a better resume than both of them.

Dec 13, 2020, 2:40 AM

Because it is the committees job to get the 4 best teams not the 4 teams who have the best record. OSU would destroy Coastal. Of course record matters to a degree but the eye test is key. Even if we lose a close game to ND we will still be in imo.

Dec 13, 2020, 2:38 AM

It is pretty simple. OSU is one of the 4 best teams in the country while USC is not. Not sure what you folks do not understand. It would be better if both had played more games but they didnt. I'm sure OSU would have rather played 10 or 11 games but they didnt and it isn't there fault COVId came and the people who run their conference are scared. We all know OSU is one of the 4 best teams. Not sure why any of yall want to argue that they haven't played anybody or that they haven't played enough games. Who the heck have we beat that is somebody? Miami?? Lmfao. If we were in their shoes all of you would argue why we should be in but since it is OSU you want to argue why they shouldn't be in. The committee is suppose to get the 4 best teams in. If yall dont think OSU is one of them I dont think you know the game of football very well.

Dec 13, 2020, 1:07 PM

Ok so why play at all. We “knew” the best teams in August. Oh that’s right it doesn’t work that way.

Wisconsin was supposed to be great until they lost 3 of 5 games they played. Remember when Michigan St got in the CFP despite most people believing OSU was the better team. Heck a lot of people will tell you that OU, right now, is one of the 4 best teams. Games matter.

OSU has a good team but competition certainly plays a big part in how a team looks on the field and the fewer number of games played the fewer chances you have to look bad - despite that, OSU has managed to do that this year. OSU is probably one of the 4 best teams but so may be USC, OU, Clemson, Bama, ND, Cincinnati, A&M, etc, etc, etc.

Dec 13, 2020, 1:16 PM

It's one thing if they haven't played any games but they have played enough for us to see what they are. They haven't looked bad in any games so idk what you are talking about. I dont line OSU but they are really good. If we switched places with them every one of yall saying they shouldn't be in the playoff would be saying that we should be in. You dont have to be a hater to dislike a team or school.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic