Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GPA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

GPA

Feb 10, 2013, 9:23 PM

Hey guys. I'm new on here so please don't rip me to shreds. I recently became a huge clemson fan. My dad was UNC alum and always took me to their basketball games, even though I'm in SC. Last year however, I got my ticket to the UNC Clemson home game in the valley, and fell in love. I've been an avid fan since, and have even watched all the old school games. (Duane Coleman, chad jasmine, Whitehurst, ect.) I'm currently in high school, and trying to get into Clemson. Do any of you guys know the Gpa requirements to get in? I have a 3.9 right now, and would really like to know what I need to strive for to get in. Any advice is helpful, and go tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No clue, but a 3.9 is pretty darn good.

Feb 10, 2013, 9:28 PM

And welcome to the Clemson Family!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GPA

Feb 10, 2013, 9:32 PM

Extra curriculars and a good SAT/ACT score are more important. Is the 3.9 on a 4 point or 5 point scale?

Est residency in New Jersey....sure in then***

Feb 10, 2013, 10:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gpa

Feb 10, 2013, 9:35 PM

It's out of 5. But what kind of extra curricular activities do they like? I'm volunteering over the summer, but I don't know if that's enough.

Feb 10, 2013, 9:41 PM

If I were you, I'd try and at least get a 4.0. Definitely try to get plenty of extra curriculars. There are lots of ways to get involved with your school that can help you. Honor societies, clubs, sports, etc.

Feb 10, 2013, 9:50 PM

I got accepted with a 3.96 in the spring of 2010, volunteer work looks good on the resume and any extra-curricular helps. My biggest piece of Advice is take an SAT/ACT prep class and actually put forth effort on the homework for it, it will help A LOT.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Test scores are very important in the equation.***

Feb 10, 2013, 9:54 PM

Feb 10, 2013, 10:07 PM

Get a good ACT/SAT score, extra curricular activities don't matter to Clemson. The 3.9 is good enough.

Crump <3 $EC

SAT is 99% of equation. Study hard and good luck.***

Feb 10, 2013, 10:25 PM

Feb 10, 2013, 10:28 PM

SAT is kicker. Would shoot for a 1200/1600 in state. If you are out of state a 1250 is a must. 1300 and you will be in.

Feb 10, 2013, 11:19 PM

GPA isn't the most important criterion due to the great variance in difficulty between high schools. It's almost impossible to know if a 3.5 at one school is comparable to a 3.5 at another... Maybe it's as good as a 2.5!

Try to get as high as you can on the SAT/ACT. I'd say a 1250+ is pretty safe for in-state. Out-of-state scores can probably be a little bit lower because you'd be paying out-of-state tuition ;).

Good luck!

You should be fine as long as your SAT is good

Feb 10, 2013, 11:22 PM

Like as long as you get over 1300 on the verbal and quant section, you should get in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2013, 11:54 PM

I had a GPA like that in hs. Just get a decent SAT score, hopefully a 1200 for fellows, assuming you have the class rank, and make sure you take some APs. Other than that don't sweat it too much. I was pretty stressed about getting into clemson, and as soon as I got here and saw some of the people they let in who just don't know how to do school, I felt like an idiot. You're probably fine, especially with Barker as president. More freshmen more money.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Son, if you want Clemson you'll make it one way or the other

Feb 11, 2013, 11:57 AM

They turned me away because I'd been out of school for 12 years. I figured having been out of school that long would cripple me as far as SAT scoring so I took a year and went to G'ville Tech.

I learned to study and made good grades and enrolled in Engineering at Clemson then transfered to Construction Science after burning my first semester with only 13 hours.

Here's the attitude that got me into Clemson and kept my grades up. I paid for it and they were not keeping something that belonged to me. Look at it like a car. If someone takes the car you paid for you go and take it back.

It doesn't matter how big they are or how many friends they have backing them up. You whip everyone's ### that stands between you and what belongs to you.

It's also the only thing you'll ever have that this world can't take away from you. The government can take your property, wives and courts can take children and old age will take your youth but nothing can take your education.

Now get your head down and your face in those books and go take what you want from this world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2013, 12:05 PM

There isn't a set number. It's always competitive each year. 3.9 should be good enough. I think Clemson's freshman classes average about a 4.18 GPA. You also have to look at SAT scores as well.

Range of middle 50%
SAT Math:590-680
SAT Reading:550-650

In other words, you want to be near the high end of these scores.

It comes down to SAT/ACT and class rank more than GPA

Feb 11, 2013, 12:16 PM

that being said I only had a 3.3 but did well on my SAT

Your HS counselor should know T.L***

Feb 11, 2013, 12:41 PM

Extracurriculars carry absolutely no weight in Clemson admissions.

Feb 11, 2013, 12:43 PM

Call and ask the admissions dept., they have no problem explaining that they look for.

Clemson has become increasingly picky with admissions. Academics are the only thing considered when they evaluate your application.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3.99 is about right

Feb 11, 2013, 1:01 PM

The average incoming freshman had a combined SAT score of 1220 and a high-school weighted grade-point average (GPA) of 3.99 in 2010.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Can you make your free throws is what i want to know ?

Feb 11, 2013, 2:05 PM

A couple of assists and maybe 2 out 5 three-pointers ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GPA has little to do with it anymore with all the AP credits

Feb 11, 2013, 2:14 PM

All the slack requirements in SC + all the CP & AP bumps make GPA a joke. Paying more attention to SAT & ACT--Clemson prefers the SAT & the average score of the 2012 was 1246 I think. The classes you take & extra-curricular commitments also affect it alot too.

For example, I teach AutoCAD at a Career Center & the salutarian from a local school took my class & got into Mechanical Engineering...his buddy, the valedictorian got into Clemson of course, but not into the Architecture program because he had no CAD experience.

National Honor Society?

Feb 11, 2013, 2:15 PM

You're in the National Honor Society correct? That will help alot. I had a 3.5 in high school and was in the bottom half of my class. I was still in the National Honor Society and made a 1320 on my SAT's. That was good enough for me to get in. Of course, that was a long time ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class Rank is more important than GPA

Feb 11, 2013, 2:17 PM

Also I doubt they'd turn down any in-state student who's eligible for the Palmetto Fellows scholarship, shoot for that.

Class Rank is KING

Feb 11, 2013, 2:55 PM

They have a formula that uses class rank and high school (the worse the high school the higher your rank needs to be) and SAT.

They really don't use grades unless it's a really close decision.

I got in with a 3.0 ...but that was 1996....

Feb 11, 2013, 2:59 PM

apparently kids are much smarter now. :)

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic