Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson O vs. UGA O: A closer look
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Clemson O vs. UGA O: A closer look

May 1, 2013, 6:15 PM

Much has been made of the explosiveness of the Clemson offense. I'm not here to dispute that. Chad Morris has really put an excellent product on the field, and despite losing players like Nuk and Ellington, I fully expect the Clemson offense to be explosive yet again.

That being said, I also have observed the explosiveness of the UGA offense being either downplayed or ignored. So, I decided to take a closer look at a few measures of explosiveness to see how UGA and Clemson stacked up. Here they are:

UGA

% of total plays over 10 yds = 25.8% (4th in the nation)
% of passing plays over 30 yds = 8.5% (3rd in the nation)
% of rushing plays over 20 yds = 5.1% (10th in the nation)

Clemson

% of total plays over 10 yds = 21.8% (32nd in the nation)
% of passing plays over 30 yds = 7.2% (5th in the nation)
% of rushing plays over 20 yds = 3.6% (46th in the nation)

So, as you can see UGA compares very favorably in these measures of explosiveness. Now we all expect Clemson to run more total plays in the game, but the question becomes how many more? Will they be able to push the tempo enough to overcome the explosive UGA offense?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

any clemson fan that thinks we will win just

May 1, 2013, 6:19 PM

because UGA has some "rookies" playin on defense is delusional.

UGA will be the best offense we play next year. I fully expect this game to be high flying and high scoring. I know our defense improved some last year and I fully expect it to improve some this year, but with that said we better bring our A game on defense or this could get ugly.

My early prediciton:
Clemson 42
UGA 38

Re: any clemson fan that thinks we will win just

May 1, 2013, 6:21 PM

I agree that it will be a shoot out. Both offenses will get theirs.

This may be the kind of game that comes down to who has the ball last.

Re: any clemson fan that thinks we will win just

May 2, 2013, 9:15 AM

The major advantage for Clemson on offense is the high tempo. I think the two offenses are very comparable but UGA's explosiveness plays right into Clemson's game plan. We saw last year vs South Carolina that if a team pounds the ball and runs the clock our offense has trouble getting in a cadence. Even if UGA is scoring it puts the ball back in our offenses hands. Even the ability to answer a score within 2 min of getting the ball can make it difficult for teams to respond. If UGA gets ahead of themselves and trys to play Clemson's game it will lead to more turnovers and 3 and outs giving Clemson the chance to pull away late.

null

Kinda like the CU - NCState game of last year.***

May 1, 2013, 6:26 PM [ in reply to any clemson fan that thinks we will win just ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Move along, nothing to see here

May 1, 2013, 6:22 PM

Those statistics mean absolutely nothing

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Move along, nothing to see here

May 1, 2013, 6:25 PM

Never said they did. Once the lights go on, you can throw all that junk out the window.

However, anyone underestimating the UGA offense needs to rethink their position. This will be a battle of two of the best offenses in the nation. Should be a fun one to watch.

Re: Move along, nothing to see here

May 2, 2013, 3:45 AM

everyone is assuming Morris' offense will again be one of the nations best but Cu is still replacing 4 skill position players and the starting center. 37 total tds must be replaced. that's a lot of production. take off the glasses folks.

we are also expecting the resurgance of watkins .

May 2, 2013, 3:59 AM

he had a "down" yr as a soph, and will be setting the record books on fire this yr. that, and peake emerging ( along with quite a few others getting more touches) will more than make up for our departures. at center, norton played around 200 snaps last yr, so he has played, it's not like he's fresh out of hs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shhhh... Let'em find out the hard way.***

May 2, 2013, 8:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're forgetting that not only did Ga lose a lot on

defense, but that passing attack will suffer too. Yeah we lost Nuk, but they lost their top two receivers and have very little experience at the position. This game will come down to the OL vs DL on both sides. I like our odds. Our OL vs their inexperienced DL = adv. us. Their veteran OL will help them, but our DL will be pretty salty as well.

May 1, 2013, 6:29 PM

only one was our top receiver

Ditto

May 1, 2013, 6:30 PM

Our offense is just going to reload. We have a better situation on defense, though. If the secondary shows up, it's going to be tough for Mr. Murray.

May 1, 2013, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: You're forgetting that not only did Ga lose a lot on ]

The UGA passing attack will be just fine. King and Brown can and will be replaced by a deep, and talented group.

The defense will be a concern. They'll be as athletic of a group as Clemson will see all season, but will they play their roles well enough to win? That's the question.

you are discounting the guys at fsu and usuc. i would give

May 1, 2013, 7:09 PM

the nod to fsu's d as the most athletic we'll face. uga and usuc can battle it out for second place.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Explode becomes implode. Murray vs. DBs will be the factor.***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only if Clemson is able to pressure Murray consistently

May 1, 2013, 8:20 PM

If not, he'll have a big day.

Those odds go up if we stop the run.***

May 1, 2013, 10:14 PM

Re: Those odds go up if we stop the run.***

May 1, 2013, 10:18 PM

They certainly do.

UGA may have the best RB tandem in the nation. Hats off to your defense if they are able to shut them down.

Explosiveness is not our primary focus

Tempo and running you into the ground are. Now do some stat twiddling and see how many snaps the two teams had on offense through the season. THAT will tell the story.

Re: Explosiveness is not our primary focus

May 1, 2013, 6:30 PM

Clemson certainly ran more. There is no question about that.

How many will they be able to run against UGA is the real question? Can UGA control the clock with Gurshall? Can the Clemson D force a lot of three and outs like they did with LSU? Those will tell the tale.

Who all did Georgia lose from last years team?***

May 1, 2013, 6:46 PM

Re: Who all did Georgia lose from last years team?***

May 1, 2013, 7:17 PM

Only two WRs from the two deep on the offense.

A ton of starters and even backups on the defense.

Do you think

May 1, 2013, 9:12 PM

the UGA 2013 defense in the first game of the year will be any better than the 2012 LSU defense with an entire season under its belt? (Because that defense was literally left crawling off the field gasping for air)

Re: Do you think

May 1, 2013, 9:45 PM

I'll counter that with a question. Do you think Clemson will have the ball enough to run 100 plays?

They did in the Peach Bowl because LSU had 9 three and outs on offense. Will Clemson's D be able to force UGA's offense into the same situations?

Im not going to sit here and say

May 1, 2013, 10:48 PM

I dont think LSU's lack of offense was a contributor to our D looking good, but our D looking good on anyone, and I mean anyone, last year meant the D was doing something better than they had been.

Nor will I say that LSU's offense was close to UGA's offense.

I expect our defense to be MUCH improved with the secondary help coming in, plus all the DB's that were injured during the later part of the season should be fully healed up (we were starting our 3rd/4th string DB's at one point) Plus most of the front 7 is returning, plus a ton of talent that should be replacing the few who did leave.

So as of right now, I'd tell you that were going to need to wait until atleast after summer camp to really get a good understanding where our teams are after all the new freshman come in.

But if Clemson does manage to force UGA into 9 three and outs, then you would probably expect it to be a long day for you guys. the same goes for us though.

Also keep in mind, the LSU game wasnt the only game we ran 100 plays in.

Fair points ...

May 1, 2013, 11:00 PM

I will say while Clemson fans expect the defense to be improved with the returning starters from the front seven coming back, UGA fans are excited about returning everyone from the two deep on the OL. Combine that with arguably the best returning RB tandem in the nation and one of the top returning QBs, and you have a recipe for one heck of a good looking offense.

Should be a fun one to watch.

And let me ask you this - answer honestly

May 1, 2013, 6:46 PM

Who do you expect to line up against Sammy Watkins?

Re: And let me ask you this - answer honestly

May 1, 2013, 7:18 PM

Damian Swann.

He's a very good corner going into his second year starting. He was a top target of Saban's, but UGA was able to keep him in state a couple of recruiting cycles ago.

May 1, 2013, 8:03 PM

Seriously ?? You expect to cover Watkins with man coverage......Good luck with that !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2013, 8:07 PM

Not that I'm privy to the gameplan, but you can expect Swann to be up in his face on the LOS to knock him off his timing, and then Grantham will mix in some bracket coverage with the FS Matthews as well.

If they plan on jamming Watkins with Swann

May 1, 2013, 9:09 PM

then they will either have a safety helping over the top or they will learn to early in the game.

Re: If they plan on jamming Watkins with Swann

May 1, 2013, 9:48 PM

Yep. Like I said. Bracket coverage.

Explosiveness is not near as important

May 1, 2013, 7:13 PM

as tempo. Check the stats from the Peach Bowl for clear evidence....and ask Coach Morris. Tempo is key. If we can limit 3 & outs and maintain possession, we have a great chance to see a gassed, too- exhausted Dawg D in the late third/fourth qtr. Oh, and tempo control leads to explosiveness

Re: Explosiveness is not near as important

May 1, 2013, 7:21 PM

I agree that tempo is important.

However, part of the reason Clemson was able to run 100+ plays in the Peach Bowl can be attributed to LSU's inept offense. Their right side of the OL couldn't handle Goodman at all.

Soooo, it was to their ineptness and not Clemson's offense?***

May 1, 2013, 7:34 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

it wasn't either one

May 1, 2013, 7:38 PM

They were not trying against us cause they didn't want to be playing us cause we are such a pathetic team...
duh

How long the opposing team is able to possess the football

May 1, 2013, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Soooo, it was to their ineptness and not Clemson's offense?*** ]

Is certainly a factor indicating how many plays the opposing offense can run. It would be silly to think otherwise.

For example, Clemson only ran 60 some plays against the Coots. Why? Because they controlled the ball when given the opportunity.

Explosiveness is not near as important

May 1, 2013, 7:14 PM

as tempo. Check the stats from the Peach Bowl for clear evidence....and ask Coach Morris. Tempo is key. If we can limit 3 & outs and maintain possession, we have a great chance to see a gassed, too- exhausted Dawg D in the late third/fourth qtr. Oh, and tempo control leads to explosiveness

Re: Explosiveness is not near as important

May 1, 2013, 7:50 PM

But if you can't limit three-and-outs and maintain possession, you will have a good chance to see a tired, too gassed-out Clemson D late in the game. Look no further than the 2011 and 2012 USC games for clear evidence.

Yep.

May 1, 2013, 7:54 PM

That is precisely what will determine this game in my opinion.

If we avoid 3 and outs, we win, IMO.

If not, we lose.

I think it is really that simple barring some turnover-fest style of game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Analysis

May 1, 2013, 9:14 PM

Everyone should expect a good, reasonably high scoring game between 2 teams in the top 12 in the nation.

The successes of the two defenses will decide this game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

If you compare passing plays that resulted in TD's,

May 1, 2013, 10:02 PM

the slap-in-the-face obvious conclusion is that you guys are going to get smoked.

Actually ...

May 1, 2013, 10:10 PM

Georgia threw TD passes on 9.3% of their attempts (3rd in the nation).

Clemson threw TD passes on 8.5% of their attempts (5th in the nation).

That stat is a wash

May 1, 2013, 11:38 PM

Comes out to be even, when you look at attempts. I know you're responding to the OP. But, I will add qb rushes for a td to that.

let's compare TDs***

May 2, 2013, 8:47 AM

You made that up.

May 2, 2013, 9:18 AM

Clemson had more 30 yard passes than any one I'm the country. Show me your link.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check cfbstats.com

May 2, 2013, 12:59 PM

Baylor had the most at 45. Clemson and UGA had 34 apiece.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic