Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calhoun & Tillman are not Clemson. Clemson is far more.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,197

Calhoun & Tillman are not Clemson. Clemson is far more.

Jun 9, 2020, 8:48 AM

Seems to me the greatest thing Clemson's black and other minority students can do to overcome the racist elements of the university's founders is to do what they've been doing and what Calhoun and Tillman wouldn't have stood for - get a higher education, get a good job, be a positive member of the community, take full advantage of all the opportunities you're given, excel, achieve, and walk tall and proud.

Why do so many insist upon walking by Fort Mill or Tillman Hall or wherever like a victim when they are essentially thumbing their nose at the racism of the past? There is no slavery. There are thousands of young black men and women all over Clemson's campus receiving education in all colleges. There are likely hundreds of black professors and other staff passing on education. THAT should be the focus.

I understand where Hopkins and Watson are coming from, but because of their time and their education at Clemson, they are now multi-millionaires with one of the largest platforms available to anyone. Use it to say that THIS is who Clemson University is NOW. The lasting legacy of Clemson University is not the past and statements of the founders from hundreds of years ago during a dark time in our county's history. The lasting legacy of Clemson University is young men like Watson and Hopkins and so many more that don't have the fame and fortune that took what they learned at Clemson, both in and out of the classroom, and are making positive contributions all around the world today - in the military, sports, classrooms, offices, churches and homes.

Clemson University is NOT John C Calhoun, Ben Tillman, Sikes, Martin, Thurmond (I'm surprised no one's tackled THAT one yet!) or any other person who has anything named after him there. Clemson University is the sum of everyone who has walked across that stage from 1889 until 2020, taken that diploma in-hand, put on that ring, and gone out and positively affected our world. That's Clemson. Everything else is a pointless and damaging distraction.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder when

Jun 9, 2020, 8:57 AM

The Indian tribes in America will be insisting that Yale University change its name? Elihu wasn’t exactly a lover of the tribes.

Clemson is far more than names on buildings

Jun 9, 2020, 9:03 AM

Well said. I'm in the minority based on stats; I'm Jewish. I don't like the fact that men from Germany marched millions of our people, some of my relatives, into ovens and gas chambers to kill them.I had relatives with numbers on their wrists for God's sake. They had to learn the English language here in America to survive. But I'm not going to stop driving Mercedes, or BMW because of it. You have to take advantage of every opportunity that is offered. I'm not entitled to anything because of the slavery or killing of our people! We can't change history; we must learn from it. If we start to change names and remove flags, when will doing all of that be enough?
The best way to change the past is to learn from it and not repeat it. Every person should do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Peace & Love
Go Tigers!

Thank you for what is definitely a unique perspective.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:16 AM

No one could blame any person of Jewish descent for having hatred for anything German. The Holocaust graphically showed just how far human beings could sink into depravity, and how easily an entire population could be manipulated by a madman. If there was ever an example of "learning from the mistakes of history, so that they are not repeated", it would be that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excelent comparison and perspective

Jun 9, 2020, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Clemson is far more than names on buildings ]

I'm not Jewish, but have read a lot of Jewish history and am a big supporter of Israel. What the Jews did after WW2 was not to dwell on their victimhood, which would have been easy to do, but to become strong and independent in order to make sure that something like that never happened again. And they've done that. Israel is one of the most influential and powerful nations in the world, by every measure. They remember their past, but they celebrate their present and their future. The past gives them the motivation they need to excel and achieve and to ensure that the mark that Jews and Israel leaves on the world is one of positive contributions and not victimhood.

The best vengeance against an oppressor is to become as strong and independent and successful as possible, and to do it with integrity and honor.

Re: Clemson is far more than names on buildings

Jun 9, 2020, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Clemson is far more than names on buildings ]

I appreciate the perspective, but to play devils advocate here, it’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison. It’s one thing to be Jewish and use a German product. It’s another thing to use a product or visit a place named after Hitler as a way to honor him.

I visited the camps to honor the lives of people

Jun 9, 2020, 10:20 AM

that died. And I honor the survivors by taking advantage of every opportunity. I don't have a problem remembering the people that did the horrible act, but we aren't victims. We honor the memory of the survivors by being successful and not letting the mistakes of the past be repeated.

Except Germany did infact have an intense denazification

Jun 9, 2020, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Clemson is far more than names on buildings ]

Process after world war 2, in which they destroyed and renamed everything that the Nazi’s had built and made in honor of the Nazi party and its leaders.

How many buildings in German are named for Hitler?

Jun 9, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Clemson is far more than names on buildings ]

Just wondering?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is far more than names on buildings

Jun 9, 2020, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Clemson is far more than names on buildings ]

The changed all the names in Germany and took down statues. They have museums though to educate.

Wait, what's wrong with Fort Mill?***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Wait, what's wrong with Fort Mill?***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:34 AM

Exactly, its a great place. I grew up there. Now I feel like I'm being character assassinate because people won't read there own typing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wait, what's wrong with Fort Mill?***

Jun 9, 2020, 3:22 PM

They can’t read their own typing because they type so fast!

Every place in the South (and a lot in the North) have these

Jun 9, 2020, 9:30 AM

issues - heck they want to take down Christopher Columbus in NYC because he had slaves on his ships

Get real people

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Columbus was a murderous loon.***

Jun 9, 2020, 10:35 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,197
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic