Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I see posts over and over about how Clemson does not have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 5,968

I see posts over and over about how Clemson does not have

Mar 2, 2016, 7:35 AM

the resources in place to be competitive in basketball. Can someone "in the know" elaborate on this? We are right now spending millions to renovate Littlejohn, and while we can debate how good the renovation really is, what else is lacking?

We are in the best basketball conference in the country, we have name brand recognition on par with anyone in the country from football. What is the missing secret ingredient to be successful in hoops? I get the feeling sometimes that the Clemson fanbase just ignores basketball, which is a shame. We had some great times "Rocking the 'John" back in the Tates Locke era (yes, I am that old. BTW, the footsball team was, to put it mildly, not very good back then. Maybe that is why we enjoyed basketball more.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

image over substance...

Mar 2, 2016, 7:37 AM

the ACC has not been the basketball conference in 15 years or more.

this isn't your Daddy's BBall anymore..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you really believe this, don't you find it even more

Mar 2, 2016, 7:45 AM

pathetic that we aren't winning it now?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC teams have seven (7) NCAA titles in the past 15 years

Mar 2, 2016, 9:56 AM [ in reply to image over substance... ]

ACC schools have participated in the Final 4 twelve (12) times in the past 15 years.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

easy apex... you should go slow for epi***

Mar 2, 2016, 9:59 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC - 5, SEC - 7 final four participants in

Mar 2, 2016, 10:03 AM [ in reply to ACC teams have seven (7) NCAA titles in the past 15 years ]

last 10 years. SEC = not a great bkball conference. ACC = not what it was. This was the season to make some serious noise. The ACC is down even from where it was recently.

Re: ACC - 5, SEC - 7 final four participants in

Mar 2, 2016, 11:15 AM

I'd say it's a little early to count the ACC down and out in this years March Madness.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC basketball---what a chuckle....take Kentucky out

Mar 2, 2016, 12:30 PM

of the equation and they're not even in anybody's discussion of college basketball

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC - 5, SEC - 7 final four participants in

Mar 2, 2016, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC - 5, SEC - 7 final four participants in ]

I'd say it's about time to say that none are contenders. UNC will get out-coached in any close game, UVA runs through Brogdon (probably the ACC team with the best chance), all the others are decent. Miami can not be taken seriously they are not going in a neutral environment and hanging with the nations best teams. ACC is pretty down this year, since Duke's freshmen haven't blossomed yet.

UNC and UVA could possibly make sweet 16 or elite 8 runs, but I don't see much past that

Hey Cocklover

Mar 2, 2016, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC - 5, SEC - 7 final four participants in ]

It's the strongest hoops conference. Hanging your hat on uk in hoops huh. Their best games are out of conference - the acc's best games are in conference - dumba$$. Just like bama in fball - your conference sux - one trick pony

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Hey Cocklover

Mar 2, 2016, 2:46 PM

Except for Florida winning all those pesky National Titles in the past 10 years.

Also that final four appearance does not count nor do those 30 win seasons, 6 trips to the elite eight in 9 seasons or the average of 27 wins over the past 5 season....none of that matters.

Pssst......Florida has more wins over the past 10 seasons than all but 4 teams.

Mar 2, 2016, 3:38 PM

So sad that this guy and molly continue to try and fool people over here.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 3, 2016, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Hey Cocklover ]

You mean those 2 championships that Florida won in 2006 and 2007? Just about everyone agrees that this year the SEC is one of the worst conferences in college basketball. That is except the SEC homers. Pathetic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: ACC teams have seven (7) NCAA titles in the past 15 years

Mar 2, 2016, 4:58 PM [ in reply to ACC teams have seven (7) NCAA titles in the past 15 years ]

true....but misleading. Your talking about 2 teams, Duke and UNC. Only once was it a team other than those 2 during that period..

If that were the measuring stick then ACC Football (Clemson, FSU) would be the toughest football conference in the country.

Doesn't work like that.

Maryland won the NCAA while in the ACC***

Mar 2, 2016, 5:06 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anybody got any answers to my initial question?

Mar 2, 2016, 11:28 AM

nm

Okay ... here's your answer. It's long/complicated, but true!

Mar 2, 2016, 12:21 PM

Clemson started ignoring hoops way, way before any of us were born.

It didn't just happen all of a sudden, or even gradually over the past few years.

De-emphasizing basketball at Clemson was a conscious decision we made about the time Frank Howard became football coach and athletic director in 1940. Actually it may have been decided before that under Jess Neely, but subsequently Howard never made any secret of the fact that football was king at Clemson and what meager resources the school had at the time would be devoted to building the football program.

Fact: Clemson won the Southern Conference basketball title in 1939 and chose NOT to accept a bid to participate in the then prestigious NIT or the fledgling NCAA tournaments that year. Why? Because too many of the basketball players (specifically Banks McFadden) also played football and the tournament would run over into football practice.

Fact: After breaking away from the old Southern Conference and helping to form the ACC for mostly football-related reasons, Clemson lucked into one of the brightest basketball minds (according to no less of an authority than John Wooden) in the country when Press Maravich became head coach of the Tigers. Clemson had already dug a deep hole for themselves relative to the rest of the ACC, but this was the late 1950s and there was still time to recover and Press Maravich was a guy who could have done it ... if ... IF ... Frank Howard would have seen the wisdom of keeping him at Clemson. But instead we sent him on his way up to NC State over a reported $2,000 per year salary increase. Now $2K was not an insignificant sum back then, but if we were serious about hoops, we'd have found a way to pay it. We weren't and we didn't ... so we paid a bigger price down the road.

Fact: When SCar hired the great Frank McGuire and built Carolina Coliseum, we got the go ahead to build Littlejohn. But Littlejohn's original design was gutted over costs here and there and even though it was a step in the right direction at the time, the fact that it was built on the cheap further demonstrated our lack of commitment for basketball to any potential coach or prospective recruit who was paying attention. We also still had Press Maravich's assistant coach running our program. While SCar had made big plans and gone out and hired a giant in the basketball world, we just puttered along with a mediocre coach that fit our vision and budget.

Fact: With Frank Howard out of the picture, we hired a young and ambitious coach named Tates Locke and we gave him carte blanche to make Clemson a winner in the ACC, but we forgot to tell him to take it slow because we were already a well-established "also ran" in the eyes of the NCAA and suddenly recruiting a class of potential NBA caliber players raised suspicions that got us investigated and put on long term NCAA probation. North Carolina had already learned how to cheat without getting in trouble and there was no way that they (along with the rest of the ACC) were going to allow an upstart like Clemson to also cheat to make any sudden giant leap for the top of the conference ... just wasn't going to happen ... heck, they even succeeded in running off SCar and Frank McGuire when the gamecocks (wisely??) bolted the ACC for independent status.

Fact: Clemson is still to this very day, fighting an uphill battle that began at least in 1939 and with the same football-centric AD in command for 30 years, we pretty much cemented our basketball fate. Changing that scenario is sort of like turning a super tanker around mid-ocean. It takes a lot of time and patience and it needs a highly-talented and experienced captain and crew in command of the ship to make it happen.

Fact: Recently, whenever we seem to finally have that particular leadership in place, they take a look around, assess the situation, and make a mad dash for the lifeboats.

HTH ... :)

Thanks for the detailed reply. Some of our problems make

Mar 2, 2016, 1:24 PM

more sense now. But, still nothing that is irreparable if admin decides they really want to fix it, even after this much time. Don't know why you would not want to be successful in what is potentially your second biggest revenue generating sport behind football? (Or is that even true, anybody got the $$ numbers?)

You Are Correct - It Makes Absolutely

Mar 3, 2016, 5:05 PM

no sense not to invest in what IS the 2nd highest revenue generating sport. so, even though he made good points above your post, it would defy logic not to make an effort to be competitive. a new lj is certainly a step, but more steps will be needed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Outstanding post. Thank you for sharing that great historical info.***

Mar 3, 2016, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Okay ... here's your answer. It's long/complicated, but true! ]

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You're welcome ...***

Mar 3, 2016, 5:00 PM

Excellent summary. Our problem in building basketball . . .

Mar 5, 2016, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Okay ... here's your answer. It's long/complicated, but true! ]

into a consistent winner does start with this historical lack of emphasis. But those days were long ago, & since at least 1970 our lack of success in basketball has certainly not been for lack of trying. I've been going to Tiger basketball games since I was a kid, & I have no doubt that the fan support is there, & the administrative support too. The special challenge we face, in my opinion, is more than the matter of being "a football school in a basketball conference", as if we are forever fated to fail. Rather, it's the scale of the mountain we have to climb, competing as we do in a league which every year has multiple national-title contenders. Over time, this has created a perception of a glass ceiling, that no matter how much success a coach has at Clemson, we'll never get to the same level as Duke & North Carolina. Thus it has been that when we do land a good basketball coach, like Rick Barnes or Oliver Purnell, after a few years of middling success they've bolted for greener pastures.

For multiple reasons, it's never been easy to recruit top-notch basketball talent to Clemson. We're not a national brand that naturally "sells itself" to young talented players. Tates Locke lamented that it was difficult to sell urban black kids on a rural Southern outpost like Clemson when we weren't even able to provide them a decent cultural experience (though Clemson has changed so much for the better since those days). What is more, though we occasionally have NBA-caliber talent in South Carolina, we don't have a regional year-in-year-out well of talent (like greater Washington, D.C. or Philadelphia) that we can readily draw from to build a consistent winner.

So as always, it's going to take patience. I'm an optimist & still believe in Coach Brownell. We all know he can coach, but as always, in the end it comes down to recruiting. I know opinions about BB are mixed, but in him I see a coach who is happy to be at Clemson & who is willing to commit to us for the long-term. And that in itself constitutes an improvement over what we've been in the past. As fans we need to stay strong & continue to show up & support this team.

Somehow OP got it done

Mar 2, 2016, 12:54 PM

at a higher level than BB has. Just saying.

wonder why AD's in Div1 schools aren't rushing to hire

Mar 2, 2016, 1:04 PM

Purnell?? One would think he could be signed to a comparatively inexpensive contract after the debacle at DePaul.....

The offseason hasn't even started yet

Mar 2, 2016, 1:15 PM

At one point OP was a hot commodity. He was an assistant on Team USA, did well here at Clemson and made one bad choice. I'm sure someone will give him a shot. He may have to go back to a mid-major to prove himself again, but he'll get a job.

does he want one? he's 62+ & has made a lot of money.

Mar 2, 2016, 2:56 PM

maybe he and vicky want to ease into the good lifes?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doesn't look that old

Mar 2, 2016, 3:35 PM

He looks like he's got one more good rebuild left in him.

nope...not for a second***

Mar 3, 2016, 5:05 PM [ in reply to wonder why AD's in Div1 schools aren't rushing to hire ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really see how OP "got it done" so much more than BB

Mar 2, 2016, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Somehow OP got it done ]

what trophies do we have to show for anything that OPP did?

we got a runner up Trophy at the ACCT...I'm not sure the

Mar 3, 2016, 5:04 PM

NCAA gives trophies out for losing to double digit seeds three years in a row, but we did get Participation Ribbons

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like I am blaspheming when I say this, but being a

Mar 2, 2016, 1:41 PM

Clemson basketball fan, even as an alumnus, is similar to what being a Lamecock fan in football must be like:

Enduring long periods of mediocrity, punctuated by infrequent goodness, but more often by descent into true turribelness.

Re: I feel like I am blaspheming when I say this, but being a

Mar 2, 2016, 2:50 PM

You nailed it 76

The similarities of what SC faces in and against the powers of the SEC is very similar to what Clemson faces against the ACC.

It is almost eery how similar the 2 programs are today and have been over the past 20 years.

Re: I feel like I am blaspheming when I say this, but being a

Mar 2, 2016, 3:27 PM

Another moronic post. You are clueless, as usual. There are typically 3 to 4 acc teams that can make a run. Sec has uk only. Got news for you, play a sport and learn. Let's talk about schools winning 10 yrs ago - or 20. Another da with absolutely no business on this bored

You may have missed the point ...

Mar 3, 2016, 11:29 AM

Both posters were saying that SCar football vs the SEC is similar to Clemson basketball vs the ACC ... I've always though that was a pretty good analogy.

Re: You may have missed the point ...

Mar 4, 2016, 7:40 PM

CLash would rather call names and call people out as Coots than to comprehend what he is reading and understand it.

Reading is fundamental.

Win games, and the people will come

Mar 3, 2016, 5:08 PM

Its like a dog chasing its tail, people go, team wins ... or team wins, people go ... I think its the latter ... when we were on our hot streak in January "the Well" was drawing bigger crowds then they got at Clemson !

Right. But the point is that we won't win more

Mar 5, 2016, 1:06 AM

in basketball, and continue to do so consistently, until we commit as a school and fan base to make basketball a priority.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I see posts over and over about how Clemson does not have

Mar 4, 2016, 11:39 AM

You make me want to reminisce: Still recall a non-descript Mahaffey brothers/Jim Gardner Clemson team upsetting top-ranked Duke with Steve Vacendak in the jamb-packed 4,500 seat "Cow Palace" in the late '60's.....was nice to see a Clemson basketball team pull a great upset win on occasion with unbelievable fan support despite whatever record we may have had....

Fike was always jam-packed for sure ... of course there was

Mar 4, 2016, 12:12 PM

a lot less for students to do in those days ... and honestly, there was a much higher degree of good old fashioned "School Spirit" back then too. The students and locals came out for hoops in little old Fike Field House every single game.

Yep, and if you were sitting on the first row

Mar 4, 2016, 7:45 PM

next to the court and had your legs extended, the refs would get on you. Fans were literally at court-side. Noise was stupendous in there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's not true..with the right hc, we can be tourney regulars

Mar 4, 2016, 11:45 AM

we don't need to be fighting for the acc championship to be successful..top 5 or 6 in the league is good enough..the ncaa tourney is the only athletic standard that matters.

GoTiguhs!!

The biggest reason that we are having a hard time is we

Mar 4, 2016, 12:15 PM

don't have a chik filet

Replies: 41
| visibility 5,968
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic