Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide!

Nov 28, 2018, 6:06 PM

this Saturday.

I promise you, Clemson will be playing Bama in the 1-4 game if UGA wins.

None of us want that, so I will reluctantly be rooting for Bama on Saturday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide!

Nov 28, 2018, 6:25 PM

Doesn’t really matter to me who we play.

Win 3.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 6:32 PM

I disagree

I would love to play the Little Nicky's Homers and beat them and send them home packing for next year instead of the Natty.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 6:43 PM

I disagree with the underlying premise. I think conventional wisdom has so strongly dominated this discussion most are assuming its fact that Alabama gets in no matter what.

I simply don’t subscribe to that. The dynamics this year are totally different than last. If OK and OHSt both win convincingly, one of them goes in at the (4) spot over a 1-loss, non-conference champion Bama.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prepare to be disappointed.

Nov 28, 2018, 6:54 PM

Like it or not, barring a 63-17 type loss, Bama is in.

Nope***

Nov 28, 2018, 7:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Prepare to be disappointed.

Nov 28, 2018, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Prepare to be disappointed. ]

Don’t agree. This year is different we have two teams that if they win their division one of them will take the place of the loser of Bama/ga

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 29, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Prepare to be disappointed. ]

You are correct. Bama is in no matter what. See last year for more proof.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:52 AM

Last year the conference champions had more losses than Bama. This year OSU or Okla should finish with the same # of losses and a conference championship.

null

Nov 28, 2018, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

How is ok or 0310, both with one losses better than Bama who would have one loss? They aren’t and you can’t make a logical argument to the contrary. I don’t like it either, but that’s the fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 7:14 PM

I wouldn’t argue you, but the committee has made it crystal clear that winning your conference championship is a heavily weighed factor akin to whether you have negative pay history in your credit report or not in finance.

The commitee’s move last season called this hierarchy of factors into question by pulling in Alabama at #4. The results say that it was the correct decision.

What’s very different here is that there’s high likelihood we end up with a one loss BiG and B12 champion as opposed to two losses. Putting Alabama in this year as a 1-loss SEC championship loser would set further precedent and further diminish the value of winning your conference.

More fundamentally, doing that would poison the well of the system itself. It would send a direct message to other conferences that YOUR window for inclusion is NOTHING less than an undefeated season, while other conferences and/or teams have a mulligan regardless.

That negative dynamic is counter to the spirit of the system the CFP committee is trying to foster to the degree that I simply don’t think they’ll do it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 7:21 PM

You make good points. You will never know exactly what goes on in that room. If 2 sec teams and Notre Dame gets in that will mean 3 power 5 commissioners will have to re-evaluate what they bought into. Since the CFP committee is not tied to the NCAA and has a TV contract theough 2025 it’s a tough spot for them to be in. I am sure when they all agreed to this they thought just one of them would be on the outside looking in each year. Hasn’t quite worked out that way.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once again, you are stating what you want to happen..

Nov 28, 2018, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

and what you think is fair.

I just don't think the committee cares that much about conference championships.

Nov 28, 2018, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

They would have a conference championship and Bama would not if UGA wins.

Nov 29, 2018, 4:44 AM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

Doesn’t matter they lost their conference and the committee isn’t going to put the sane two teams who just played in to play a second time. Inherently unfair to the winner of that game because it carried no effect

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Thank you! Finally, a voice of reason.

Nov 28, 2018, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

Some people here are out of touch with reality.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

OK will be in a very tight game ... TX could beat them again

Nov 28, 2018, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

Initial game this year was 3 point difference … but if OK does win big, they earn it IMHO. Along with SEC winner.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: If you dont want a Clemson-Bama 1-4 rematch, then Roll Tide! ]

I see what you're saying about OK or OHST being a 1-loss champ and getting in over a 1-loss non-champ Bama (should Bama lose to UGA). I just don't trust the committee to not pull out the ole "Eye Test" card and plug Bama in anyway. It really is like a Get Out of Jail Free card for them. As much as it bothers me for them to do that....because the eyes see what they want to see and usually see what the ears have heard and tell them to see...but it really is their ace in the hole.

Lot of card references today....sorry about that.

If it make it any easier for you .....s

Nov 28, 2018, 6:58 PM

To h3ll to h3ll with Georgia.....

....Georgia, Georgia....Georgia won't you bite my a$$

Clemson folks naturally hate Georgia so I don't have a problem pulling for Bama.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 7:21 PM

UNLESS, Clemson has a VERY marginal win against Pitt. In that case, they may put ND as one and the Tigers as the second seed - I agree, a very unlikely scenario.

Nov 28, 2018, 7:31 PM

After all the silly "if you don't like being 12-0, we didn't win by 50 points, people been Tweeting bad stuff about us"...I would not want to be in Pitts shoes Saturday night...I got a feeling that somebody is going to get it bad...and it won't be us...

I hope we hand them...

Nov 28, 2018, 7:34 PM

...a can of Whup A$$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJgoYRgGFK8

Nov 28, 2018, 7:55 PM

Should UGA beat Bama, it would be funny if the committee ranks the teams 1)Clemson 2)UGA 3)Bama 4)ND...The SEC crowd would go nuts.

I’d rather play Bama in final. Otherwise they have

Nov 28, 2018, 8:36 PM

A whole month to prepare for us. I’d rather them spend the first 4 weeks preparing for someone else.

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: I’d rather play Bama in final. Otherwise they have

Nov 28, 2018, 8:41 PM

I agree with you completely. I have that same thing several times.

I don’t think they’re in any hurry to play us either if we’re all

Nov 29, 2018, 1:18 AM [ in reply to I’d rather play Bama in final. Otherwise they have ]

Being Honest!

Same here***

Nov 28, 2018, 8:59 PM

Nov 28, 2018, 9:30 PM

Bama ain't risking it, I expect a total beatdown of the overrated dawgs.

If Bama loses and both Oklahoma and Ohio State win

Nov 28, 2018, 10:09 PM

their games, the system is broken.

No other program could lose their conference championship game and still get in.

Exactly, and this is why that won't happen.

Nov 28, 2018, 10:17 PM

There is no way in hades that the committee will put a one loss team that didn't win its conference in the top four, over teams with one loss that won their conference championship. I know that everyone has all sorts of conspiracy theories about Alabama getting a pass, the committee secretly wanting two SEC teams in the top 4, and all that, but the committee has their criteria and conference championships count for a lot.

Alabama getting in last year was an anomaly, after the stars aligned perfectly for them. Wisconsin lost to Ohio State, meaning that Wisconsin had a loss (with no real impressive wins), and Ohio State had a conference championship (but with 2 losses). The Pac 12 champ, USC, had 3 losses. If Wisconsin had won, or if Ohio State or USC only had 1 loss, I don't think Bama would've gotten in last year.

This year is a completely different situation if Bama loses to UGA and both Oklahoma and Ohio State win their conference championships.

If Oklahoma wins, they would have lost to Texas

Nov 28, 2018, 10:31 PM

on a last second field goal in week 6 and then comeback and beat Texas in the conference championship game.

They go 12-1 and are passed over by a team that loses their conference championship game?

I don't expect it to happen, but if it did the Big XII and every other conference (other the SEC) should demand changes.

Exactly!***

Nov 28, 2018, 10:35 PM

It's not a conspiracy...It's that Bama is still a top 4 team

Nov 29, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Exactly, and this is why that won't happen. ]

if they lose.

Still better than Oklahoma, still better than Ohio State. That's what the committee cares about, not keeping conference chairmen happy.

I agree with you that it would likely cause major problems moving forward, but I stand by my prediction that Bama is already in.

I want Bama first then UGA to finish.

Nov 29, 2018, 4:34 AM

The SEC network, commonly called ESPN will be crushed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not that I think there's a snowballs chance Georgia

Nov 29, 2018, 9:29 AM

beats Bama unless its scripted, imagine what your scenario would produce.

Sabaum would finish the season losing TWO GAMES IN A ROW!

There would be mass pachyderm stampedes to find the nearest cliff to dive over in Alabama. Plus, all the Clairol in the world wouldn't keep those last few strands of hair in place.

Tammy would roll her little corner of heaven completely.

Alas, all you delusional Jawja fans, not even part one of this scenario is actually going to happen. YOU are what is going to get rolled, and then, CLEMSON gets to take care of business against Bama, as it should be. (After crushing whoever else makes it in, of course. Can't forget about the half teams!)

Nov 29, 2018, 9:53 AM

I would take it a step further. The teams at the top of the rankings are there for a reason. They hardly ever lose 2 games in a row.

Nobody wants to face anybody in the playoffs who is coming off of a loss. Elite teams always respond.

I think the loss in the game prior to the semifinal meant way more to Bama than any sort of revenge factor from the season before. It's a refocusing tool and great coaches know how to use it.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:00 AM

Totally agree - that was a terrible break last year. Would much rather face them in the finals, bring on Notre Dame

Nov 29, 2018, 10:04 AM

Besides I'd rather go to Miami than Dallas for the game

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic