Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Orange Bowl keeps an eye on changing college football landscape
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Orange Bowl keeps an eye on changing college football landscape

May 24, 2012, 11:26 AM

Orange Bowl keeps an eye on changing college football landscape

The landscape of college football changes daily, and BCS bowls like the Orange Bowl are watching with keen interest. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That tells me that:

May 24, 2012, 11:47 AM

The Orange Bowl is seriously considering dropping bowl tie in with the ACC....probably Big East as well. Clemson had better be preparing for a conference move or be left behind.

They make a good point about having the same school to the same bowl year after year. Bowl tie ins are not good for anyone. Keep it fresh and merit based and let the bowls recruit who they want from which ever conference. Might be a moot point anyway if the playoff comes down the pike; which will be fine with me.

Re: That tells me that:

May 24, 2012, 11:48 AM

This is an absolute consequence of Swofford having skrewed things up. OB is taking the necessary steps to ensure it doesn't become the ACC toilet bowl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Agreed. Keep it fresh! I enjoyed the TCU vs. Wisconsin

May 24, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to That tells me that: ]

Rose Bowl two years ago!

The bowls will still have their place....

May 24, 2012, 11:52 AM [ in reply to That tells me that: ]

as long as the play-off format only involves a handful of teams.

The other teams that do not make the play-offs can still go to the bowl games as a year-end reward for the players.

That said, I do agree with your assessment that the bowls should be able to offer invitations to the team of their choice regardless of conference affiliation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Exactly. SEC will soon get that tie in also.***

May 24, 2012, 12:29 PM [ in reply to That tells me that: ]

The Orange Could Be Integrated Into A Playoff System

May 24, 2012, 11:57 AM

No need to be "tied" to any conference...

With a 16 team, 8 game playoff.... (8 Bowls) (the 11 teams are conference winners + 5 "wild cards")

The Orange COULD be one of the Bowls that Host the "Elite Eight" Games (4 Bowls) ...

The Bowl that hosts the Championship game could be rotated among the Bowls

This would preserve the beloved Bowls, we can keep the ranking system to determine who plays who in the initial round, everyone wins

Message was edited by: hooters®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

16 teams is at least 8 too many....probably 12 too many.

May 24, 2012, 12:47 PM

I still want the regular season to be very relevant. With 16 teams a team could take 2 and maybe even 3 loses. The problem with the current system is that it leaves #3 and #4 out. After that there's seldom a great case for #5 and above. Definitely not much of a case for #9 and above.

8 teams - 6 conf champs w/2 at large

May 24, 2012, 1:43 PM

Even if it becomes Alabama and the next 2 out of the SEC, it gives you room for a PAC 12, Big Least, ACC, B1G, Big12 and SEC champ. Conferences can go 12 or 14 or 16 at their leisure instead of cramming them together to make 4 conferences.

So you have 7 total games in the playoff instead of 3? With the champ and runner up playing what 14 or 15 total games each year? Who cares, the Alabama student athlete? Give me a break.

The only thing pushing all this crap down our throats is the fear of a 4 team playoff. The money thing as well as the respective competitive levels of the teams will just have to settle out.

Re: The Orange Could Be Integrated Into A Playoff System

May 24, 2012, 12:05 PM

Yeah I see it going to the bcs bowls host the elite 8 and then the winners go to the final 4 teams how they planed it.

ACC 1-9 in BCS OB. TV & attendance weak. Tie-in undesireable***

May 24, 2012, 12:08 PM

Yup, ACC hasn't performed and people say they don't care

May 24, 2012, 12:49 PM

about what the other teams in the ACC do. Well, you'd better care because those teams represent your conference. If the entire conference looks weak then we'll look weak. Of course letting someone put up 70 on us makes us look pretty weak too.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic