Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you guys get your hiking boots wet to break them in?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Do you guys get your hiking boots wet to break them in?

May 21, 2020, 1:51 PM

Somebody told me to get them wet and wear them on a walk and then let them dry out and helps break them in better? Anyone else ever try that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tried and true method is to wear them out to

May 21, 2020, 2:01 PM

Applebees, meet a hooker there, buy her dinner and dranks, then go on back home solo. Repeat about 4 times in a 10 day period.

Them boots will be broken in as all get out.

Re: Tried and true method is to wear them out to

May 21, 2020, 2:06 PM

You pay the hooker to allow you to buy her dinner and drinks? That sounds like a sweet deal. Then you add doing it 10 times. Sounds great.

Exactly

May 21, 2020, 2:07 PM

But I'm rubber and you're glue

4 times not 10

May 21, 2020, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Tried and true method is to wear them out to ]

we don't want to destroy the shoes

But what if he doesn't have the integrity required to walk

May 21, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Tried and true method is to wear them out to ]

into Applebees and get 3 or 4 hooker numbers, and tell them why they shouldn't be freely giving their numbers out, and then bang them in his hiking boots?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a good way to get some stank ### shoes

May 21, 2020, 2:05 PM

But I can't help you, I either wear steel toe boots or flip flops, there's no in between for me anymore.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds like a good way to get some stank ### shoes

May 21, 2020, 2:07 PM

I am flip flops myself 99% of the time.

Do you mind if I hijack your hiking boot thread?

May 21, 2020, 2:10 PM

Cause I've been wearing Olukai's for a few years now, and while I really love them, I don't get more than 6 months out of them. Thinking about going back to Chaco's or something, what's your go-to flip flop?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Olukai's for me

May 21, 2020, 2:12 PM

but TBH I'm not super impressed. Seems like the industry is missing a really good set.

Maybe Yeti will jump into the game soon. Or Izod.

They're comfortable until the foot bed wears away

May 21, 2020, 2:14 PM

Then it's like having some broke ### rainbows or something.

I'm pretty sure I'd still be wearing my old Chaco's if my dog hadn't destroyed them, but they don't make those anymore and I don't want some sandal with a faggy back strap.

Ever try the more spendy Tevas? I had two pairs of

May 21, 2020, 5:07 PM

these. First pair lasted 4-5 years before finally getting just loose enough to be annoying, so I replaced them. Second pair got left at a buddy's house last year, have to recover them in Atlanta at some point. I don't really wear flip flops anymore, but these were legit when I did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I think I've been hesitant to try them because they're

May 22, 2020, 9:31 AM

kind of like those Iron Man watches. Feels like you're going back to 1998. Which doesn't really sound like such a bad thing anymore.

Re: Do you mind if I hijack your hiking boot thread?

May 21, 2020, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Do you mind if I hijack your hiking boot thread? ]

I have Rainbows and I go back to that brand most of the time. I have been wearing that brand since I was a kid. I bought a pair of OluKai maybe 6 months ago. I wear sometimes. They are really comfortable. I am not sure how long they last though.

Rainbows are great for leather. Chacos are great for

May 22, 2020, 10:00 AM

synthetic.

I have some 10 year old chaco flips with chewed corners from a dog that died in 2012. I have a 5 year old pair that were bought to replace those. I also have 2 pair of regular chacos.

Going to get some of these soon though:
https://www.chacos.com/US/en/lowdown-slide/44360M.html?dwvar_44360M_color=JCH107123#cgid=men-featured-new-arrivals&start=1

SIDE NOTE:
These are on sale right now...get you some
https://www.chacos.com/US/en/playa-pro-web/37522M.html?dwvar_37522M_color=J106711#cgid=sale&prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M&start=1

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine always broke in on their own

May 21, 2020, 2:11 PM

I will add though the most important thing is 100% wool socks. Few people can wear them because of itching, but I am a freak I guess. They're hard to find at 100%, but if you can tolerate them, they're a bigger difference maker than even the boot. Your foot stays dry. No blisters. Just great thing to have 100% wool socks, again if you can find and tolerate them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get wicking liners

May 21, 2020, 2:34 PM

pulls the moisture away from your feet and keeps the itchy wool away from your skin.

https://www.amazon.com/River-Therm-Wick-Ultra-Lightweight-Liner/dp/B01HHK2NU0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Mine always broke in on their own

May 21, 2020, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Mine always broke in on their own ]

They make wool that isnt all itchy now. I go wool too. I didnt want to, but I realize it is the way to go. I agree.

all my boots get this

May 21, 2020, 2:13 PM

I treat my boots like I'm breaking in a new catcher's mitt. I just love the smell too. One bottle lasts years, even if you have many pairs like I do.

Obenauf's® Leather Oil
The Overall Winner in a Comparative Test by the Leather Research Laboratory!
Restores dried & sun-faded leather
Repels water, chemicals, manure acids, and salt
Resists cracking, dry rot, scuffing, mold, mildew, and bacteria growth
Applies easily with the applicator or a clean cloth
Allows leather to breathe
Ideal for "breaking-in" new boots
Penetrates deeply into leather
Can be buffed to shine or polished over
Excellent for touch-ups between applications of Heavy Duty LP
Contains no harmful petroleum, solvents, or paraffin

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ THIS ^^^

May 21, 2020, 2:32 PM

getting them wet untreated and letting them dry will just make them hard (lulz) and leading to early cracking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: ^^^ THIS ^^^

May 21, 2020, 2:44 PM

Makes sense. Thanks

It might stretch a little bit, but try

May 21, 2020, 2:38 PM

shoving them in your anoos. That'll break em in for sure as well as marinate them.

Besides, hoo doesn't enjoy a good stretching anyways?

Dude.

May 21, 2020, 2:43 PM

They're still called 'cleats' even though you're hiking the ball. Also, they're not called 'quarterback slippers'.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hiking, WT H is that? ............

May 21, 2020, 2:46 PM

I do boat shoes like that before I wear them though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hiking, WT H is that? ............

May 21, 2020, 3:17 PM

What you do to get to football games after all the new construction on campus.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic