Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This Chart (link) makes it pretty clear there is an issue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Dec 6, 2012, 11:30 AM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/alabama_and_auburn_stay_among.html#incart_river_default

(much easier to read at the link above!)

School
Conference
Total Athletic Revenue
% of Revenue Attributed to FB
2012 Football Wins

Texas

Big 12

$163.3 million

64%

Ohio State

Big Ten

$142.0 million

41%

Michigan

Big Ten

$128.8 million

66%

Alabama

SEC

$124.1 million

66%

Florida

SEC

$120.3 million

62%

LSU

SEC

$114.0 million

60%

Penn State

Big Ten

$108.3 million

61%

Oklahoma

Big 12

$106.5 million

56%

Auburn

SEC

$106.0 million

73%

Tennessee

SEC

$105.9 million

50%

Wisconsin

Big Ten

$101.5 million

48%

Arkansas

SEC

$99.8 million

64%

Iowa

Big Ten

$97.4 million

52%

Notre Dame

Independent

$97.1 million

71%

Georgia

SEC

$91.7 million

82%

Stanford

Pac-12

$89.1 million

29%

Louisville

Big East

$87.8 million

27%

South Carolina

SEC

$87.6 million

55%

Kentucky

SEC

$85.6 million

39%

Oklahoma State

Big 12

$84.1 million

49%

USC

Pac-12

$84.1 million

41%

Minnesota

Big Ten

$83.6 million

39%

Washington

Pac-12

$82.6 million

64%

Nebraska

Big Ten

$81.6 million

68%

Florida State

ACC

$81.4 million

42%

Virginia

ACC

$81.3 million

30%

West Virginia

Big 12

$80.0 million

31%

Kansas

Big 12

$79.2 million

19%

Texas A&M

SEC

$79.0 million

56%

Michigan State

Big Ten

$79.0 million

63%

North Carolina

ACC

$78.8 million

35%

Duke

ACC

$78.6 million

32%

Arizona

Pac-12

$76.0 million

32%

Oregon

Pac-12

$73.9 million

70%

Syracuse

Big East

$73.3 million

39%

Indiana

Big Ten

$72.0 million

35%

California

Pac-12

$71.2 million

37%

UCLA

Pac-12

$70.7 million

36%

Purdue

Big Ten

$70.5 million

27%

TCU

Big 12

$68.1 million

38%

Baylor

Big 12

$67.8 million

29%

Clemson

ACC

$67.0 million

59%

Boston College

ACC

$66.2 million

33%

N.C. State

ACC

$65.5 million

39%

Virginia Tech

ACC

$64.8 million

51%

Illinois

Big Ten

$64.0 million

48%

Arizona State

Pac-12

$63.8 million

55%

Connecticut

Big East

$63.8 million

20%

Kansas State

Big 12

$63.6 million

41%

Maryland

ACC

$62.6 million

31%

Miami

ACC

$62.1 million

47%

Missouri

SEC

$61.3 million

25%

Northwestern

Big Ten

$61.2 million

45%

Georgia Tech

ACC

$60.3 million

53%

Texas Tech

Big 12

$59.6 million

56%

Rutgers

Big East

$57.5 million

37%

Colorado

Pac-12

$57.1 million

42%

Pittsburgh

Big East

$56.3 million

39%

Vanderbilt

SEC

$55.8 million

38%

Iowa State

Big 12

$55.2 million

54%

Mississippi State

SEC

$54.9 million

46%

Oregon State

Pac-12

$53.8 million

38%

BYU

Independent

$53.0 million

42%

Wake Forest

ACC

$48.8 million

36%

Washington State

Pac-12

$48.0 million

38%

Utah

Pac-12

$46.2 million

45%

South Florida

Big East

$43.6 million

39%

Ole Miss

SEC

$42.9 million

63%

Cincinnati

Big East

$39.6 million

39%

Temple

Big East

$39.0 million

44%

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with spacing?***

Dec 6, 2012, 11:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that chart addresses none of my issues***

Dec 6, 2012, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you...

Dec 6, 2012, 11:39 AM

It doesn't show an apology from Dabo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow...

Dec 6, 2012, 11:42 AM [ in reply to that chart addresses none of my issues*** ]

Pretty sobering chart.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow...

Dec 6, 2012, 11:44 AM

It should not be. It is meaningless.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that chart addresses none of my issues***

Dec 6, 2012, 12:17 PM [ in reply to that chart addresses none of my issues*** ]

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=323290228

better?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no...

Dec 6, 2012, 12:19 PM

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/helping-loved-one-with-bipolar

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did you date amanda too?***

Dec 6, 2012, 12:20 PM

What the hell was Louisville thinking?***

Dec 6, 2012, 1:45 PM [ in reply to that chart addresses none of my issues*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This Chart (link) makes it pretty clear there is an issue

Dec 6, 2012, 11:43 AM

These charts are retarded because they are based on completely non standardized reporting. It is apples to oranges and it is either ignorant or willfully deceptive journalism. Clemson chooses not to report Iptay funds as a part of athletic department revenue. Other schools (South Carolina included) do include their booster revenue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Nice insight ^^^***

Dec 6, 2012, 11:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: This Chart (link) makes it pretty clear there is an issue ]

> These charts are retarded because they are based on
> completely non standardized reporting. It is apples
> to oranges and it is either ignorant or willfully
> deceptive journalism. Clemson chooses not to report
> Iptay funds as a part of athletic department revenue.
> Other schools (South Carolina included) do include
> e their booster revenue.

I hear the point that you are attempting to make, but I am not sure that it is accurate. My understanding is that IPTAY dollars are pretty tightly controlled. How they can be spent , is very different than other athletic revenue dollars.

Those of us that continue to stick our head in the sand are in for a shock sometime in the next decade. Make it even more basic USUc 27 million TV alone, probably 40 million after renegotiated with A&M , Mizz, and two others. Clemson 15 Million with a backended deal bringing it to 17 million in a decade. This will luikely decrease if any one of (FSU, GT, Va Tech, or Miami )
bolt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

Some of IPTAY funds are counted but if you look at the numbers of contributions reported by the AD and the total contributions to IPTAY their is a large amount that is not accounted for.

There will be a disparity in the TV contracts between the ACC and SEC but the real money will come from how the playoff is structured. The plan is to divide the money more evenly between all the conferences and to pay extras based on winning and academic performance. If the ACC finds away to stay competitive in that respect they can survive.

Also of note is the TV networks that are coming soon. The SEC is more attractive viewership wise but contains smaller markets. The ACC is currently in discussions with ESPN/NBC (Because of ND) to create a TV network. That may prove to be the ACCs only hope to sustain itself. Although not in football the national following of ND and the NBC connection is huge in the TV deal.

null

Going into this season, the SEC had the 2nd largest

Dec 6, 2012, 12:36 PM

population base in the nation, 2nd by a small margin. And the SEC has no "city" school in its membership and only one private school. Adding Texas A&M and Missouri really jumped the SEC way up there. The coming SEC Network will be a gold mine for the SEC.

Re: Going into this season, the SEC had the 2nd largest

Dec 6, 2012, 1:08 PM

Yes, that's why they haven't put it on the air yet. Because they're being offered too much money and don't think it will be fair. The days of premium priced programming being forced unto the basic tiers of cable/sat providers is coming to an end - which is the basis for all the pie in the sky projections. Dish network spent over a year without AMC, pretty much the most popular basic cable station on TV these days, over numbers not dissimilar to what SEC pumpers think they are going to make. Cable and Sat is in a fight for its life and its not going to be handing anymore money out than they have to. And, they hate ESPN and will be very reluctant to up their carriage fees anytime soon.

Dec 6, 2012, 3:37 PM

We shall see what the arrangement is when the SEC announces its SEC Network. I definitely would rather be in the SEC shoes regarding TV than in the ACC shoes. Evidently there is real good money to be made by having your own conference network. If that was not the case, the Big 10 would have dropped its Network. Instead, it is expanding it with the additions of Maryland and Rutgers. And I can assure that Maryland is not jumping to the Big 10, taking a paycut.

Dec 6, 2012, 4:56 PM

Do you understand how the networks work? Of course there is a ton of money in it. But, the Big 10 struck while the iron was hot. Before cable cutting was a common phrase and before the recession, the Big 10 was able to convince the largest cable providers in their footprint to add their network as a basic channel at approximately $2 per subscriber - regardless of whether they want or ever watch the channel. This is guaranteed money and they got a 25 year deal - why in Gods name would they drop it? No one else is ever going to get this deal. Texas could barely convince anyone in Texas to add their network. When we see an SEC channel it will either be a part of some premium sports pack or they will be making substantially less per subscriber than the Big 10.

And again, the ACC has a larger footprint and more people in that footprint. A little winning will go along way to our own network. Even more - what doesn't really get brought up - is that the conference networks are all about tier two sports. The ACC competes in more Olympic sports than the SEC and with the addition of Notre Dame as a full partner in everything but football will create a very attractive option for a network going forward. Notre Dame is one of the most valuable properties in all of college sports and their value towards an ACC network may very well be what makes it worth having them as a partial member in football. And, as a member who came into the league agreeing to a $50 million buyout there is very little legal recourse they would have to avoid it.

Dec 6, 2012, 7:41 PM

Good. Then YOU, should be happy, even though your fellow clemson fans are worried sick over the ACC TV situation compared to that of the SEC. I know I am VERY happy with the television position and prospects of the SEC compared to the ACC. We will all soon see why. And I am VERY happy with the SEC being part of the $80 million Sugar Bowl to that of the ACC and the $55 million Orange Bowl.

Dec 6, 2012, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: This Chart (link) makes it pretty clear there is an issue ]

Uneducated overreaction is no more an appropriate response than sticking ones head in the sand and I am doing neither. There is a disparity in the two schools revenue - but it is not remotely as great as anything that gets hinted at around here. I don't which is worse: sports beat writer who think they have the economics background to analyze the athletic budgets of major college athletic departments or the fans that continue to give the credence. Or perhaps we should continue to refer to that business of college sports blog that has never properly referenced a single entry. There is no standardized reporting requirement for how athletic departments report their p/l. I spent a considerable period of time last year researching actual disparity between USC and Clemson and it was not anything remotely like what would be implied here. I don't see how to look up posts over a week old and don't feel like sound the homework all over again. Yes, Clemson needs to be paying attention to its financial situation. No, nothing in the linked article is remotely close to economic reality.

Found link to old post mentioned above: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=19&threadID=1116773&messageID=12407461#12407461

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Dec 6, 2012, 2:10 PM

> Uneducated overreaction is no more an appropriate
> response than sticking ones head in the sand and I am
> doing neither. There is a disparity in the two
> schools revenue - but it is not remotely as great as
> anything that gets hinted at around here. I don't
> which is worse: sports beat writer who think they
> have the economics background to analyze the athletic
> budgets of major college athletic departments or the
> fans that continue to give the credence. Or perhaps
> we should continue to refer to that business of
> college sports blog that has never properly
> referenced a single entry. There is no standardized
> reporting requirement for how athletic departments
> report their p/l. I spent a considerable period of
> time last year researching actual disparity between
> USC and Clemson and it was not anything remotely like
> what would be implied here. I don't see how to look
> up posts over a week old and don't feel like sound
> the homework all over again. Yes, Clemson needs to
> be paying attention to its financial situation. No,
> nothing in the linked article is remotely close to
> economic reality.
>
> Found link to old post mentioned above:
> http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=19
> &threadID=1116773&messageID=12407461#12407461
>
>
> Message was edited by: viztiz®

Speak for yourself about "uneducated overreaction". Please explain the economics that would allow a school (Clemson) with it's small alumni base as compared to SC, to make up ground on a 10-15 million deficit by some counting of a portion of Iptay dollars that is locked away and not available for use by the athletic department?

Look Iptay is fantastic, many schools have modeled their "scholarship funding orgs" after our program. Iptay has done a great job of raisng serious money on a relatively small alumni base. You have twice responded in this thread without a single number in support of your position. What "pray-tell" is the money gap per year between SC and Clemson over the next 1o years? 1 million? 5 Million? 15 Million? 20 Million?

Is it your position that there is not a gap? Or that the gap doesn't matter?

Dec 6, 2012, 2:50 PM

my position, which was pretty clearly spelled out in the attached link is that the differential is not nearly as great as contended. Yes, it needs to be addressed. First, every year the host of the Clem/Carolina will net approx. 4 million more in ticket revenue. This is just how it is. I don't know what your insistence that Iptay money shouldn't count in the total. 100%. of Gamecock club fees and YES fees are reflected in the numbers South Carolina releases. Clemson only reflects money spent from Iptay to cover scholarship tuitions as a part of its athletic budget. I'm not sure where you get the idea Iptay withholds million of dollars per year that isn't being spent on athletics. It simply isn't true. After everything is said done, after all available real numbers are counted, SC made about $6 million more than Clemson. That's gross - not profit. Clemson athletic department is actually in better financial shape than SC's - most simply reflected in a higher bond rating from Moody's. And the difference in gross revenue was actually only $3 million more due to conference affiliation. The massive increase in seat fees at Carolina is what accounts for the other $3 million and led them to raise more booster funds than us for the first time in their history. But those were based in 2010 numbers when they won their first division championship and a national title in baseball - while we sucked. I'd love to see a breakdown for 2011 but haven't been able to find hard financials readily available for that year.

Dec 6, 2012, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: This Chart (link) makes it pretty clear there is an issue ]

Btw - SEC just finished an entire season with aTm and Mizz in the conference and their ratings are down across the board. Do you think ESPN pays them more just because they're such nice guys.

only KS did more with less than Clemson

Dec 6, 2012, 11:45 AM

But Jesus, we need a better deal!

We're at 42nd in revenue, and SCAR's at 18th.

Dec 6, 2012, 11:46 AM

That can't possibly have anything to do with on-the-field results. No way.

I would love to see the same data from, say, ten years ago.

RE read and understand.

Dec 6, 2012, 11:51 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13286702

Re: RE read and understand.

Dec 6, 2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the slap. I have already apologized in another thread. It was inadvertent on my tablet. Thanks again for your diligence and critique :)

Is this the longest post in Tigernet history?

Dec 6, 2012, 11:49 AM

When you provide the link you shouldn't have to copy and paste. I notice that our percentage from football is lower than a lot of others. I guess baseball/basketball brings in a little as well??? Must be tv money too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2012, 11:57 AM

Does this include IPTAY which is separate from the AD?

Dec 6, 2012, 12:08 PM

Looks like we fell off the chart compared to socar.

Re: as you know, the score doesn't matter to Dabo***

Dec 6, 2012, 12:13 PM

Dec 6, 2012, 1:00 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=19&threadID=1116773&messageID=12407461#12407461

Here is my look at the numbers from this summer

Wow, no wonder we can't compete with these other teams, some

Dec 6, 2012, 1:10 PM

out spend us 2 to 1!! Hard to overcome that!! Win anyway!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2012, 1:38 PM

Does this include Iptay revenue as IPTAY is separate from the University?

Here is what we do KNOW that can't be explained away:

Dec 6, 2012, 3:29 PM

After getting its TV deal renewed, ACC teams are to get $17 million annually from TV. That's equal to SEC teams PRIOR to renewing their TV deals. So, the Gamecocks will have a leg up on us when the TV situation is finalized. The bowl tie-ins for the SEC provide $1 million more annually to each SEC school than ACC tie-ins provide to the ACC. To that, add this:When the playoffs begin in 2 years, the Orange Bowl (ACC) participants wil split $55 million. The Sugar Bowl (SEC/Big 12) participants will split $80 million. Any Clemson fan who does not think we have a math problem in Clemson athletics compared to SCAR, is delusional

Exactly.

Dec 6, 2012, 5:15 PM

When you consider the existing contracts, bowl payouts, playoff revenue, and Tier 3 rights, in two years SEC and Big 12 schools will collect $10M more annually than ACC programs. $100M (or more) over the course of a decade.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is what we do KNOW that can't be explained away:

Dec 6, 2012, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Here is what we do KNOW that can't be explained away: ]

do not confuse those #@$%@#$ with the facts.. their minds are made up!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is an issue

Dec 6, 2012, 7:52 PM

with your html skills.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why are ACC schools, including Clemson, so far below SEC

Dec 7, 2012, 6:34 AM

schools, including So Car, in athletic revenue? I know that some here explain away Clemson being so far behind So Car by saying IPTAY is not counted among Clemson's athletic revenue. I don't know if that is true or not true. I do KNOW that ACC schools generally lag the SEC and others in athletic revenue. Are all ACC schools not counting booster clubs in their revenue figures? What a coincidence that would be!!!! For sure, ACC schools lag far behind. For sure, the ACC has the worst TV deal. For sure, the ACC has the worst bowl tie-ins. The ACC is a drag.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic