Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our coaching wasn't able to overcome our shortcomings last
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 949

Our coaching wasn't able to overcome our shortcomings last

Sep 21, 2014, 9:45 AM

night. They put us in position to win the game, but we just had too many individuals make mistakes to capitalize on the opportunities that were created.

We have holes at running back, offensive line, and kicker. This is where I think we would have benefited from oversigning to fill those holes that were obviously coming. Given the unexpected nature of injuries, transfers and recruiting misses, if you want to avoid the dips in talent, you have to do what your competition is doing or you will fall behind them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaching decisions was our shortcoming last night.***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:46 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Were...sorry for that subject/verb disagreement.***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:46 AM

I thought Venables had our defense in position all night to

Sep 21, 2014, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Coaching decisions was our shortcoming last night.*** ]

make plays and we made a bunch. The long pass for a TD our guy was in position and fell down. That's not coaching.

The 4th and 1 was a questionable call.

The snap over the head was not coaching.
The interception to give us the ball in scoring position late was largely coaching putting us in position and individual performance.
The fumble was not coaching.
Getting us into scoring position was partly coaching, but the individual missed the kicks.
One screen play we had setup for a touchdown, great call, but one man to block one man for a touchdown and we missed the block. Not coaching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I felt we were overly conservative on offense at times.

Sep 21, 2014, 9:56 AM

Other times we seemed to lack understanding of the situation...like pushing for a replay on the "TD" by Davidson. Or manning up after than and bulling it in.

We run up under center on short yardage situations all the time...but failed to run that play once last night.

We wasted time outs last night like we had extras in our pockets. We had 12 players on D last night and our coaches were arguing it...until the ref counted them and then our coaches were like...oh ok..

We had 3 penalties for 29 yards in Doak Campbell.

Sep 21, 2014, 10:03 AM

That's usually a sign of a well coached and disciplined team. While we weren't perfect from a game management standpoint, I thought we were ### close, given the environment and the amount of youth at the skill position. You can nitpick after every game, but the opportunities were there and we didn't win some individual matchups. But, it is true that the coaching wasn't good enough to overcome those individual mistakes.

Forgot to mention the Stoudt to Leggett incompletion at the

Sep 21, 2014, 9:56 AM [ in reply to I thought Venables had our defense in position all night to ]

2 yard line. Great call. Players in position to score. Individual doesn't make the available play. Not coaching.

I agree there were plenty of player errors...but we had

Sep 21, 2014, 10:01 AM

the chance to still win. We could have run 3 straight QB sneaks would have scored. FSU started speed rushing our deep handoffs in the 2nd half...they adjusted, but we failed to recognize that.

My only complaint on the D was we could have blitzed a little more. When we did, they could not throw the ball.

If all you pi$$ers and moaners

Sep 21, 2014, 10:05 AM

would watch the post game,Morris said the one thing Watson has a problem with is the under center exchange.

It indeed was a great call, but it failed because...

Sep 21, 2014, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Forgot to mention the Stoudt to Leggett incompletion at the ]

of coaching. Had Watson been the starter, with everything else equal, the pass would likely have been made because Watson is a superior quarterback to Stoudt. Why did it take three whole games for Dabo to figure out this obvious reality?

Exactly. We look just like Stanford or

Sep 21, 2014, 9:59 AM

Wisconsin, and all the other strong programs that don't oversign: always a player or two short, always a play or two away.

I'm NOT arguing that we should oversign. But these are the predictable results of an unlevel playing field. To take the next step, we must find a way to level it. I'd just prefer a rule change.

Dabo also needs to realize that the best player...

Sep 21, 2014, 10:05 AM

deserves to start, not the best senior who has patiently awaited his chance to start because he lacked the talent to do so during the last three years.

very good post...

Sep 21, 2014, 10:01 AM

I think there are some coaching patterns in tight games that bother me, but it's not why we lost last night. We had numerous opportunities to put our foot on their throats but couldn't get out of our own way.

One thing I like, we were definitely ready to play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 949
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic