Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Study of excess mortality shows Covid deaths as much as 60%
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 801

Study of excess mortality shows Covid deaths as much as 60%

May 5, 2020, 9:54 AM

higher than stated. By comparing the death statistics to the averages of the previous 5 years, they can estimate the number of "excess mortality" deaths that are probably attributable in large part to Covid 19. This will give us a much better idea of the actual death toll from the virus in those areas that are under counting and under reporting.

As suggested, including that stat on the Johns Hopkins dashboard would be a good number to keep track of.

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-3386-4543-b2e9-0d5c6fac846c

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cause of death with covid19 is murky

May 5, 2020, 10:38 AM

because a high percentage of tests can be false negative, yet all the symptoms indicate covid19. There is a gray area and if hospitals have a choice how to classify, they will probably go with the higher $$$ classification,covid19.

Some people think covid19 numbers are exaggerated for this reason, maybe due some distrust of medical industry.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The article you linked should clear up those misconceptions

May 5, 2020, 11:07 AM

and false assumptions. As the article points out, under reporting and under counting is a problem, and probably the larger problem.

The excess mortality rate will provide us a more accurate indicator of the actual Covid 19 deaths.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Study of excess mortality shows Covid deaths as much as 60%

May 5, 2020, 10:45 AM

we will never know the true rate

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The excess mortality rate will give us a pretty good idea of

May 5, 2020, 11:11 AM

the actual number of Covid 19 deaths, even though we'll never know with 100% certainty. Of course, we don't need that level of certainty to more efficiently direct our future efforts, but we do need much more than what we have.

Lies, #### lies and statistics.

May 5, 2020, 11:25 AM

I’ve tuned it all out. In five minutes I can find well-written analysis that tell me that COVID-19 is basically the Flu, basically the Black Death, and everything in between.

null

Hopefully, you have the intellectual capacity and the

May 5, 2020, 11:40 AM

wisdom to cut through the lies.

Empirical info is useful no matter how hard some may try to persuade you not to believe your own "lying eyes."

Yeah but if it goes against what I think

May 5, 2020, 12:15 PM

then it must be a lie.

And if there is too much information going against my self perceived version, then it's just too confusing.

And if it's too confusing, I must ignore all of it and stick with my preconceived notion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I think you and FBconstruction missed his point...

May 5, 2020, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Hopefully, you have the intellectual capacity and the ]

there are very reputable scientists that say the COVID is a lot LESS deadly than other studies and models suggest.

There is good science and wide differences of conclusions/predictions on this issue, where none of it would be considering "lies" or "fake news".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"FBconstruction"..lulz***

May 5, 2020, 12:51 PM

It's funny how you use the term 'empirical evidence,'...

May 5, 2020, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Hopefully, you have the intellectual capacity and the ]

while using the following statement as support. '...deaths that are probably attributable in large part to Covid 19.'

No, this isn't science, it's history and the left is rewriting history once again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know where you are? You're in the jungle baby!

May 5, 2020, 11:53 AM

YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have a new SiriusXM channel

May 5, 2020, 12:52 PM

FYI josephg®

GTFO, Necky as shlt.***

May 5, 2020, 9:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many deaths are direct vs indirect?...

May 5, 2020, 12:36 PM

Meaning...would an increase in suicide, for example, brought on by unemployment, loss of social interaction, loss of counselling, etc...be included here or would that be attributed to the reaction to the virus.

Suicides would definitely contribute to a higher overall

May 5, 2020, 12:57 PM

death rate, though suicides themselves are tracked in great detail so those numbers can be accounted for.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suicides would definitely contribute to a higher overall

May 5, 2020, 2:33 PM

Sure but the deaths from suicides would more applicably be attributed to the lockdowns and job loss from the lockdowns. I mean, if you can attribute the suicides to the virus, which is a stretch, using the same logic to attribute them to China's lies and intentional provisions for the virus to spread across the globe.

Is that sound?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right. I wouldn't think suicides would count as a virus

May 5, 2020, 3:36 PM

death in any metric. Just saying those numbers could be adjusted out of the overall fatality figure that has risen over the norm this year in working to get a truer count of Covid infection deaths.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. These questions are easily resolved

May 5, 2020, 4:27 PM

and should not be an excuse to avoid the collection and analysis of any and all empirical info or to dismiss its importance.

We will be able to get a pretty accurate picture of how many lives were lost to the virus eventually.

No opinion is empirical.

May 6, 2020, 7:56 AM

Opinion defies the definition of empirical.

Re: Right. I wouldn't think suicides would count as a virus

May 6, 2020, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Right. I wouldn't think suicides would count as a virus ]

Suicides would count as a virus deaths exclusively if people killed themselves due to having the virus. As far as we know people aren't killing themselves because they have the virus. They are killing themselves for a variety of other reasons. Drug addictions, being teenagers unable to deal with harsh circumstances and hundreds of other reasons people kill themselves.

Attributing all suicides to Covid just because the virus is spread here is a lie, wrong and inaccurate, nothing akin to science or proper logic, foolish and possibly politically driven mishandling of information to fit facts to opinion.

To be able to justify saying a suicide was caused by Covid it must take more than the time of death lying between the first and last case of Covid in America. Anyone saying otherwise needs more justification than personal opinion. There is no place in stats for opinion. Stats are math, math has no opinion.

Re: Study of excess mortality shows Covid deaths as much as 60%

May 6, 2020, 1:48 AM

https://youtu.be/t_yG_-K2MDo

FYI, only.

Replies: 21
| visibility 801
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic