Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Everything great in Cootlumbia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Everything great in Cootlumbia

Aug 3, 2013, 3:11 PM

From gamecock central:
"Maybe it was the heat. Maybe it was the fact that it was late in practice, with maybe 10 minutes left. Or maybe it was just a case of two young guys eager to make a name for themselves and not back down.

Whatever the case, the helmet-flinging, shirt grabbing, haymaker-swapping donnybrook between freshman offensive lineman Na'Ty Rodgers (6-foot-5, 296) and sophomore defensive tackle Deon Green (6-4, 287) in the scrimmage just before practice ended looked like something out of a Transformers movie, as each one held the other's jersey with one hand and swung for the fences at each other with the other. I counted about 10 roundhouses thrown by each player, and no one - not a player, not a coach, not an equipment manager - did anything but get out of the way and cheer.

After practice, Connor Shaw said he loved the spirit of his lineman. For his part, defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward was equally happy to see some ferocity, playfully asking "what fight?" when asked about it after practice. The takeaway? Both men didn't back down, and both lines are more tough and physical than they've been in some time."

So bare knuckled brawling is condoned by the coaching staff and viewed as character development. Can't imagine why anyone would think the wheels are gonna come off as Spurrier slips further in senility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

I disagree

Aug 3, 2013, 3:20 PM

That shows a level of toughness that I hope that our Tigers develop this year. Not saying I want our guys to fight each other, but football is a tough game for tough people. Every play is a fight, finesse is not going to win a NC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I disagree

Aug 4, 2013, 12:06 AM

Hear, Hear!! Huzzah!

They fought before practice, not during practice...

Aug 4, 2013, 4:26 PM [ in reply to I disagree ]

I don't see any problem with it during practice, but before practice is just juvenile behavior.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They fought before practice, not during practice...

Aug 4, 2013, 7:37 PM

They fought with 10 minutes left in practice.

Re: Everything great in Cootlumbia

Aug 3, 2013, 3:26 PM

Have you ever played football or been to a practice? Lineman get into fights all the time. It is part of the game. Lineman are hitting all practice long in the one on one drills it can get very intense. If you ever get the chance go watch practice at Clemson and go watch the lineman and wee what happens in the one on one drills.

Good thread, OP. ***

Aug 3, 2013, 3:54 PM

nm

Agreed. Never played football but was a wrestler on a very

Aug 4, 2013, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Everything great in Cootlumbia ]

Good team. If you didn't get pissed off in practice now and again you weren't going to make it. The problem with Bowden's teams was the players were coddled too much. You gotta kick their ### every once in a while and let them kick each other's ###.

it happened before practice, not during***

Aug 4, 2013, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Everything great in Cootlumbia ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it happened before practice, not during***

Aug 4, 2013, 4:37 PM

Source? The article I read says otherwise or are you making things up?

Re: it happened before practice, not during***

Aug 4, 2013, 4:40 PM [ in reply to it happened before practice, not during*** ]

I states rather clearly that it happened with 10 minutes remaining in practice.

LOL***

Aug 3, 2013, 3:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2013, 3:32 PM

I am actually embarrassed for you after this post. Obviously you have never played the game.

Since you don't seem to understand I will you a very brief lesson. Any program where the O and D lineman are NOT scuffling is a very soft program.

Apparently, the G-cocks are not soft.

Aug 3, 2013, 3:37 PM

I take it the OP has never played a down of FB in his life.

I have no problem with letting players get after one...

Aug 3, 2013, 3:38 PM

another for a little while. Our Tigers could use some of that attitude IMO.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no problem with letting players get after one...

Aug 3, 2013, 6:06 PM

You really don't see a difference in "getting after it" and throwing "10 roundhouse punches." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but as someone that had been in and broken up more fights than I care to count, this just seems stupid to encourage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Re: Re: I have no problem with letting players get after one...

Aug 3, 2013, 6:14 PM

Just breaking your b's...no worries.

As others have said, you obviously never played!***

Aug 3, 2013, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I have no problem with letting players get after one... ]

Re: As others have said, you obviously never played!***

Aug 3, 2013, 11:10 PM

You obviously didn't go to Clemson.
You obviously didn't graduate.
You obviously voted for Obama?
Ay other strawman arguments I might have missed?

If I tell you I played football will we have to have a #### measuring contest to see who played at what level and then counts number plays, blah, blah, blah.
What the hell is wrong with this place tonight.

Did you read the article? Actually write a rebuttal. Was it commonplace at your practices (since you obviously played at least through college right?) to throw "roundhouse punches" at each other, at least 20 of them, with absolutely no intervention of any kind.

If I haven't played football then you guys have obviously never been in a "fight" and the #### that goes on after a play is rarely ever a "fight." When it is it should be broken up. The writer chose to use the word "fight" and "roundhouse punches" to describe what he saw personally. Those words have nothing to do with anything that I have ever seen be routine on a practice field and I have never seen it go without intervention. If you guys think pulling on facemasks or knocking someone to the ground after the whistle is the same thing as two guys behaving as described then I'm pretty sure your the ones that haven't been around a practice field.

how about "it's the reason girls don't play the game"?

Aug 3, 2013, 11:12 PM

don't forget that one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no problem with letting players get after one...

Aug 3, 2013, 11:39 PM [ in reply to I have no problem with letting players get after one... ]

You don't think they will do something stupid like that during a game? They are on the same team. Don't you think they'll have trouble controling that anger against a real foe?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe. our own dc gets giddy when talking about our

Aug 3, 2013, 11:43 PM

players that play the game with violence and that edge. you don't play to the whistle, you play to the echo.

it's also why morris talks about 'stressing out guys'. you want to see how they react, you want to put them in that 'moment' as often as possible so they keep their wits about them when the world around them is about to explode.

there are some tremendous teaching moments when you've worn someone down; bull in the ring is that fight on command.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wait till bb gets up in an olineman's grill during practice.

Aug 3, 2013, 3:52 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Video-Ben-Boulware-shows-UA-game-9862

condone it? venables will have the biggest grin on his face since cashing his 1st cu paycheck.

Like the attitude, but I hope they continue not working

Aug 3, 2013, 4:04 PM

as a team and each thinks each one is a superstar so that their team falls apart and they go 0-11 ... again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

To my naysayers

Aug 3, 2013, 5:42 PM

This article isn't effusive about their intensity. Intensity resulting in scuffles is fine and to be expected of the position. But the article talks about throwing 10 roundhouses EACH (actually, how do 2 college football players throw 20 "roundhouses" with out breaking something?) If they were still in helmets this is a great way to break your hand - something you'd know if you'd ever played. If they were out of helmets it is a great way to break a jaw and a hand.

Has nothing to do with playing football, anyone who thinks this is positive behavior, as described, has never hit or been hit by a grown ### man.

I have no issue with two players coming to blows in the heat of competition. The coaches cheering it on and their mouthpiece website actually treating it like an act of character clearly, demonstrates how far off the road their program is going.

If it is an exaggeration of what happened then it is sad that they think this is good pr.

Re: To my naysayers

Aug 3, 2013, 5:48 PM

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I laughed. Well played. ***

Aug 3, 2013, 5:52 PM

nm

Agree with OP

Aug 3, 2013, 9:07 PM

I agree with you. You're never going to win with the know-it-alls on this board. There IS a difference between intensity and competing and down right thugs which USuC are best known for. 20 punches is a little much. I hope it inspires them to go to 5 Points tonight and get arrested.

Looks like the PEDs are kicking in.***

Aug 3, 2013, 9:21 PM

Highest probability....***

Aug 4, 2013, 5:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

re

Aug 3, 2013, 10:36 PM

OP played flag football

Re: re

Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 PM

That's a strawman argument and it is more than a little tiresome. What the hell does it matter if I argue otherwise? You won't believe me, we are both anonymous web hacks, and your comment doesn't actually address the topic.

But, if it is SOOOOO commonplace and only a idiot who has never played football would ever think twice about it then why did ESPN think it was "news" just a couple of days ago when Chansi Stuckey got in a "fight" at practice that was, if you watched the video, barely a skermish after the whistle. Two nobody players at the national level and it made ESPN but 20 "roundhouse punches" exchanged between USuck players is normal conduct.

morbid curiosity, the reason people will watch hockey for

Aug 3, 2013, 11:07 PM

fights, nascar for accidents or slow to see what they can at an accident.

it's news because it's on espn? that's a joke.

The only reason I slow down when passing an accident scene

Aug 3, 2013, 11:09 PM

is to wave to GWP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

you're a bad man, you know the next time i pass an accident

Aug 3, 2013, 11:11 PM

people will wonder what i'm the fack i'm smiling about.

idiot.

;)

They'll just assume you're a

Aug 3, 2013, 11:13 PM

trial lawyer.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

great, as if i didn't have enough problems...***

Aug 3, 2013, 11:15 PM

Re: morbid curiosity, the reason people will watch hockey for

Aug 3, 2013, 11:29 PM [ in reply to morbid curiosity, the reason people will watch hockey for ]

That wasn't the point. The point was that if it is as commonplace as everyone says, and ESPN feels like a skirmish on a small market team between two nobodies (nationally speaking) is worth some airtime then why isn't every night filled with a clip show of practice fights. I mean it is going on everywhere right?

yes. sorry, are cameras at every practice, what's allowed

Aug 3, 2013, 11:33 PM

in and out? what rules govern av before during and after? we're not talking bigfoot here. it happens and if you'd been around it, you'd know it.

welcome to shock jock sports & murica.

Aug 4, 2013, 5:15 PM

Ben Boulware says hello!!!

Does anyone really care?***

Aug 4, 2013, 8:46 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic