Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Athlon predicts FSU over Clemson in ACC Atlantic in 2017
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

FB Update: Athlon predicts FSU over Clemson in ACC Atlantic in 2017

Jan 23, 2017, 9:19 AM

Athlon predicts FSU over Clemson in ACC Atlantic in 2017

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they can't run on us, so it will be up their QB play to beat

Jan 23, 2017, 9:21 AM

us. We would have to turn it over alot to lose.

I don't know how you can say that at this point.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:05 AM

What if the QB situation isn't good next year and we have a 2014 Cole Stoudt level offense?

Re: I don't know how you can say that at this point.

Jan 23, 2017, 4:48 PM

What if FSU can't run (the Cook man be gone)? Me thinks Monsieur Francois better get ready for another butt whipping. At least he's used to it by now.

Cole Stoudt level offense ?

Jan 23, 2017, 4:52 PM [ in reply to I don't know how you can say that at this point. ]

The Cole Stoudt level offense with JS & TE at the helm looked pretty dang good against Oklahoma.With Chad at the helm, not so good.

Re: Cole Stoudt level offense ?

Jan 24, 2017, 1:12 PM

Chad Morris could have done good things with Cole at QB, but he didn't want to. He had his system and he had no intentions of adjusting to fit a pro style pocket QB that Cole Stoudt was. Two Raw Rookie offensive co-coordinators manage a scheme for Cole that made Cole look like a ( I hate using this word ) Heisman contender QB. It was never about Clemson with Chad Morris, as he proved that with all those head coaching auditions, it was all about Chad Morris and the way he ran the Gus Malzahn offense. Just bc you put a Holley Carburetor on a Chevy engine, it don't make it a Holley engine. Well that is what Chad done with the Gus Malzahn's offense. He tinkered with it and called it his offense!!! In my personal opinion, Chad Morris is part of the reason that Cole didn't have a chance at a pro QB career. The other part was Cole's dad for not pushing Cole to transfer the second he saw what was happening with Chad trying to change Cole, and not the coach making adjustments to Cole's talent and the way he had played QB his entire life. Very few ever mention those facts, but we all know that it was happening!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take the ~8 game sample size over the 1 bowl game.

Jan 24, 2017, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Cole Stoudt level offense ? ]

21 against UGA and I'm not sure we had a 1st down the entire 2nd half with Stoudt in the game. 23 against Louisville and i believe 14 of those were Def and ST). 17 at BC, 16 vs Cuse, 34 at Wake, 6 at GT, 28 vs Georgia St.

That was not a good offensive team with Stoudt at QB. I certainly don't expect things to be that bad next year, but there's absolutely going to be some drop off and we just don't know how significant it will be.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:01 PM [ in reply to I don't know how you can say that at this point. ]

Yes , any time you have to replace a QB like DeShaun Watson there is a big question mark. However, our OL has everyone back except our center and we have CJ Fuller back as well as Tavien Feaster. Our WRs , Renfrow and Cain are back and we have new talent behind them . The defense is more concerning to me because we lose our leaders , Ben Boulware, Carlos Watkins, Jadar Johnson and Cordrea Tankersley. We do have Christian Wilkins and Big Dexter Lawrence coming back. The biggest challenge will be we will have everybody we play wanting to beat the National Champions,..which makes it tough for any team to repeat. The edge FSU has is that they will have a very experienced QB and we won't ...however we play them in the Valley and later in the year so it will give us time to develop our QB and with all the talent we have at QB ..we should have one ready for the Seminoles by then. We have a very good chance to repeat in the Atlantic if we can hold on early in the season while our QB situation is ironed out.

What do you mean a qb like watson. He isn't a heisman.

Jan 24, 2017, 6:51 AM

Luisville should win the nc. Heisman

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: What do you mean a qb like watson. He isn't a heisman.

Jan 24, 2017, 1:24 PM

DW4 is the true meaning of what a Heisman Trophy winner was to be!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't know how you can say that at this point. ]

How do you know we play FSU later in the year? Has the 2017 schedule been released yet?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 24, 2017, 1:18 PM

That's one of the more common rumors on the schedule, Louisville 3rd game and FSU 9th/10th game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2017, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't know how you can say that at this point. ]

Not sure how you knew this morning but you were correct on FSU being late in the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 24, 2017, 12:33 PM [ in reply to I don't know how you can say that at this point. ]

The Cole Stoudt 2014 offense was pretty solid against the Sooners! ;) I'll take that!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole has moved on and having a great year. You?***

Jan 24, 2017, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I don't know how you can say that at this point. ]

I'm not criticizing him as a human being, but he struggled

Jan 24, 2017, 2:35 PM

at QB for us in 2014. Facts are facts. I wish i could go back and change some of those scores for him, but i can't.

They picked FSU to win the Atlantic last year too

Jan 23, 2017, 9:22 AM

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-football-2016-predictions

Best Is The Standard

Re: FB Update: Athlon predicts FSU over Clemson in ACC Atlantic in 2017

Jan 23, 2017, 9:32 AM

out of the last 6 years, we've won the atlantic 3 times.. how many times in the past 6 years have we been predicted to win it? 1 or 2? can't imagine it being more..

This is not a crazy pick.

Jan 23, 2017, 9:40 AM

Being picked 2nd (to FSU), but still in top 10 is not exactly a slight.

That said, not sure folks should be surprised when folks pick us to win even w/o our "losses".

My pick is that Louisville takes a step back from their 3rd place seat.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: This is not a crazy pick.

Jan 23, 2017, 10:27 AM

I am shocked , I tell you , Want to see my shocked face ??? I don't know how to post pictures .

Re: This is not a crazy pick.

Jan 23, 2017, 4:52 PM [ in reply to This is not a crazy pick. ]

Lewis-ville got off to a terrific start this year and then fell apart at the end. My guess is they do not surprise anyone come September.

Not so fast, Athlon...

Jan 23, 2017, 10:48 AM

Yes, a return to the NC game with a first year starter at QB would be a tall order. I won't deny that.

However, if when that first year starter is the guy who comes out on top of a four way battle between Cooper, Bryant, Israel and Johnson, then that's nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention all the talent at other positions.

So while a repeat NC might not be realistic, FSU comes to the Valley next year, and I think the Tigers have a good chance of winning that game. I think there's a great chance for another division crown, ACC title and a slot among the New Years 6. If that's the new definition of a "rebuilding year" at Clemson, I can live with that!

Re: Not so fast, Athlon...

Jan 23, 2017, 10:51 AM

Bama has no problem returning to NC with a freshman starter. Double standard

That freshman starter was the reason why...

Jan 23, 2017, 11:04 AM

...they weren't the best team in the country. Hurts is talented, no doubt, but he was just a true freshman, and he played like it. They were able to overcome his spotty (although sometimes quite good) play against a weak SEC schedule (dang it feels good saying that) and a Washington program that wasn't quite ready for prime time just yet.

Do you see any differences?

Jan 23, 2017, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Not so fast, Athlon... ]

1) They've proven they can do it.. more than once. They've won two national titles with first year starters, and they've made the playoff all three years with 3 different starting QBs. This is possible because...

2) They don't rely on the QB position like many teams. They have the #1 defense in the country more years than not, and they always have a punishing and effective running game.

Not "always"... ;~)***

Jan 24, 2017, 1:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh, they had 221 rushing at 6.5 a pop and 3 TDs against us.

Jan 24, 2017, 2:41 PM

We just made them inefficient to where they got a lot of those yards on 3-4 plays and they couldn't sustain drives. We also eliminated most of their passing game outside of 1 big play.

In the end, it was probably the QB position that let them down, but they still got to 14-0 and nearly beat us to win another title with him.

But...but...but... Lamont Jefferson still at luisville

Jan 23, 2017, 10:49 AM

What?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Every year it's something. Last 2 it was replacing D***

Jan 23, 2017, 10:51 AM

I predicts Atlantic in 2017 will be decided on the field

Jan 23, 2017, 10:59 AM

spot the ball... if not for DVR, I would be missing college football already.

It would not surprise me if Louisville or NCSt or FSU or Clemson wins the Atlantic in 2017.

I would not be shocked if Clemson and/or FSU lose a game or 2 in the ACC.

I think we will be stronger at every position on the roster except QB and we will have more quality depth at every position.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:09 AM

On paper FSU should be the better team next year. Paper does not account for our next generation of talent over performing. Guess we will find out after the game is played.

Jan 23, 2017, 4:52 PM

We have to go to UL and VT. That is two difficult road ACC games. I think the FSU pick is more about that than the FSU game itself.

Unless their line is vastly improved, Francis will be out

Jan 23, 2017, 4:57 PM

for the season by the time they play us.

That's a reasonable expectation

Jan 23, 2017, 10:01 PM

Frenchy at FSU is a good QB, don't be fooled by their record. FSU was MUCH better than several teams ranked above them. If they can fix their OL then they will be tough to beat.

We have no idea that Clemson's offensive identity will be next year. For all we know Bryant will be running a system very similar to what UL uses with Jackson. We could go back to a lot of zone read. I think we'll find somebody that can throw though. WR's will take a slight step back. Probably a significant receiving drop at TE. Gotta break in a new center. I have faith in our RB's and WR's to be ready.

Luckily our defense could be even better. We will be TOUGH on the line and its not unreasonable to expect better LB play too. Ben is a great player but I don't think he can match up physically with our 5* freshman. Now that he's gone if somebody can take over his play calling role then we will be in good shape. I still want to see some better play in the backfield and I think we will improve there too.

I'm not saying we have no chance but if I were to project I would have us with 1-2 ACC losses and second in the division to FSU. We are by no means out of a playoff race though. If we find a good QB look for another extended season.

Who did they pick to win last year?***

Jan 23, 2017, 11:18 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The picked FSU in 2015 and 2016 and 2011

Jan 24, 2017, 6:52 AM

as they do every year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our roster and returning players are better and have more

Jan 24, 2017, 12:48 AM

Depth than I can ever remember. Our defense alone will be better and on the level it was when it was #1 three years ago. Playing FSU at home is a win every time as strong and consistent as we are now!

Our offense is going to be hitting on all cylinders we have a great running and throwing QB.

I just don't see a loss on our schedule in the regular season.

Tigers are in the playoffs (90%) For 2017 season!!

Back to back soon to be champions!!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

That's some serious Kool-aid***

Jan 24, 2017, 2:25 PM

Jan 24, 2017, 6:45 AM

Athlon loves FSU. More likely we beat them at home and lose to UL away.

This year, i think i agree

Jan 24, 2017, 7:54 AM

it all comes down to QB play. i think they have more experience and will give them the edge. Last year, i absolutely disagreed. 4 was way better than their frosh

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2017, 10:37 AM

I personally have no problem with this pick. FSU will be loaded this year. I will not, however, discount our Tigers' chances to win the ACC and who knows what else. Dabo and his staff have done a tremendous job in recruiting to be sure our cupboards are not bare. Besides, everyone knows we play better in the role of underdog than any team in the country. Keep letting the media doubt us, it only fuels the fire that drives our Reigning National Champs!

GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 24, 2017, 12:28 PM

Athlon is a member of the Nay-Sayers, so anything positive coming from Athlon would be a shocker. Nothing new here!!!

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic