Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Incredible Playoff Scenario. 1st Round in Death Valley!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Incredible Playoff Scenario. 1st Round in Death Valley!

Nov 28, 2018, 9:55 AM

What if we eliminated dumb conference champion games, and just started the 1st round of an 8 team playoff this week with the 1st 4 teams getting to HOST.

You would have:

#8 UCF @ #1 Bama

#7 Michigan @ #2 Clemson

#6 Ohio St @ #3 ND

#5 Oklahoma @ #4 UGA

Think of the electricity in Death Valley for a playoff game against Michigan. These conference championship games are meaningless in the playoff era. Some years, you will have co-ACC Champions based off your regular season record. That's OK. It used to happen all the time.

I think eliminating those games and implementing the 1st round of the playoff to be hosted by the top 4 teams would just be awesome to watch.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Incredible Playoff Scenario. 1st Round in Death Valley!

Nov 28, 2018, 9:59 AM

I've been a strong proponent of keeping it at 4. But this is the first alternative that I might can get behind.

I also like 4, but the timing of a perspective home game against Mich

Nov 28, 2018, 11:31 AM

rather than a game in Clt against Pitt is pretty enticing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Agree

Nov 28, 2018, 10:01 AM

You have a rematch in the Big 12. If Texas wins (again), they both have 8-2 conference records, and B12 gets left out. In the ACC, Pitt could win the ACC at 8-5 (7-2), knocking Clemson (12-1, 8-1) and the ACC out of the playoffs. Meanwhile, Notre Dame gets a pass and at least a couple of teams have legitimate claims but practically no shot at playing their way in. Flawed system.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 10:06 AM

I agree and think part of the current problem is the FCS (Division 1-AA?) games we all play. Alabama playing The Citadel late in the season was meaningless. We should only play schools in our same level of competition and then have the top 8 teams play it off with the National Championship being the last game on New Years Day. Just my opinion...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

I think do that scenario but

Nov 28, 2018, 10:07 AM

Maybe have the 1 and 2 teams get first round bye

Nov 28, 2018, 10:09 AM

Unfortunately, it's not about what is best for the sport, or what makes the most logical sense; it's all about the $$$$. The more games (conference championships), the more $$$$ generated.

Nov 28, 2018, 10:57 AM

The conference members of the first round home teams would share the revenue just like a conference championship game. The first round losers could go in to bowl games so the bowl games would not be diluted and still be as attractive.

Yep. The only stipulation that I would personally add...

Nov 28, 2018, 11:27 AM

A 10 win conference champion receives an automatic invitation. This would ensure that all 5 conferences are represented unless your conference champion went 9-3. They could still get in at 9-3, but just not an automatic invite.

So, this year, Washington at 7-2 in the Pac 12 would be the Pac 12 champion. Wash St was also 7-2 but lost to Washington. Utah is 6-3. But, Washington is 9-3 so they do not get an automatic bid under my system.

Also, this would eliminate the need for divisions within conferences. We could play UVA or UNC more than once every 10 or 11 years.

That would be cool***

Nov 28, 2018, 10:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's just go to the same format the FCS teams use...

Nov 28, 2018, 10:15 AM

24 teams

The top 8 seeds get a first round bye

Higher seeds host through the Quarter final games.

Semi final games would rotate between the New Years Six bowl venues (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, and Peach Fil-A).

The host site for the CFP Championship would be determined by a bidding process and, frankly, should be limited to indoor stadiums only so adverse weather in mid January does not impact the outcome of the game.

The remaining bowls could host games for those teams that did not make the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 28, 2018, 11:28 AM

Perfect solution!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 11:37 AM

Yeah but I wouldn't get any work done this week, waiting on Mich to come to town for a Saturday playoff game in the Valley. The concentration level this week for us working folk would be very diminished until we were on like our fourth year in a row hosting a first round game. But that first one.....my goodness.

Yes. With one caveat - move the games back one week

Nov 28, 2018, 11:38 AM

to 2nd weekend in December for better prep, including home stadium prep as it's not easy to throw together a gameday staff or field prep with just one week's notice.

When the Round of 8 is selected, after Rivalry Week, include the 4 who missed the playoff but are in the NY6 games. Following Round of 8, assign losers of that round with remaining 4 for the 4 non semi-final NY6 games. That way all 12 teams are getting notice of who and where they would be playing next all at the same time, Sunday noon following the Round of 8.

Biggest benefit of this approach, to me, is opening up our league schedule through the regular season as you mentioned by dropping these stupid divisions.

$$$? More for this format, with only 4 games, than the current 5 CCG's we have taking up this space now, as every game would be a must-watch blockbuster for even the most casual of fans.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 11:41 AM

very few teams have the depth to play a 16 game schedule. Bama and clemson have been the odds on favorite the past few years because they have consistently had the depth needed for a 15 game schedule. The more games you add, the less likely a smaller program is to win the entire thing.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 12:02 PM

Eliminate CCG take 10 Division winners plus 6 best of ND, nonP5, and Bama if not Division winner. 1st round at top 8 seeds, second round at typical CCG/bowl sites and Final 4 like currently played. Only adds 1 game, all play same no. of games. If 1 additional game is too much, eliminate FCS regular season games or allow exhibition 1st game that doesnt count. Have a week off before 1st round games played Thanksgiving weekend. This would still help FCS schools or maybe a revenue sharing if playoff gen enough money.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This doesn't add any games...

Nov 28, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Incredible Playoff Scenario. 1st Round in Death Valley! ]

I said eliminate the conf champ games.

Nov 28, 2018, 11:56 AM

Shouldn't playoff games be at a neutral site? Doesn't seem right to give the supposedly stronger team a three point advantage.

Being awarded a home game here adds extra incentive to

Nov 28, 2018, 12:01 PM

the regular season performance. Every game matters, as that's a big reward if you're in contention.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being awarded a home game here adds extra incentive to

Nov 28, 2018, 12:08 PM

Extra incentive? You mean we would try harder if a playoff home game was a reward?

Arguments against expanding the CFP to 8 and including P5

Nov 28, 2018, 12:34 PM

conference winners in an auto-fashion + 3 at-larges is often rooted in negative impacts on the regular season - less quality OOC games (why would you need them if not for a committee to impress?) or teams coasting last few games if a conference championship is wrapped up. Having the top 4 awarded home games keeps the pressure on from Game 1 to 12 as it does today. Today that reward is making the CFP period. With 8 participants, that reward is hosting the first round.

Does this affect Clemson's approach to any game? Absolutely not - but not every coach is Dabo and not every program Clemson.

Re: Being awarded a home game here adds extra incentive to

Nov 28, 2018, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Being awarded a home game here adds extra incentive to ]

Tell that to the NFL and to the AL and NL in baseball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You won't see an NFL team benching stars in Week 17 if a

Nov 28, 2018, 1:13 PM

home playoff game is on the line.

Every other level of football has home-field advantage

Nov 28, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Incredible Playoff Scenario. 1st Round in Death Valley! ]

in playoffs. It would work fine for college football.

Really interesting idea

Nov 28, 2018, 12:48 PM

I love the idea of having a home field advantage type of thing, The only thing i’d change is giving an automatic bid to all power 5 conference champions, and then having 3 invites. It would look something like this if all the favorites win the conference championship games
1. Alabama Vs 8.Washington
2. Clemson Vs 7 Michigan
3Notre Dame Vs 6 Georgia
4 Oklahoma Vs 5 Ohio State

I would be concernced about P5 OOC scheduling if there

Nov 28, 2018, 12:55 PM

was a loss limit for a P5 champion, so I would lean toward all P5 champs regardless + 3.

If you go back through the years you can see similarly compelling rounds of 8 along this formula.

Nov 28, 2018, 2:33 PM

I like it and it makes sense. Keep the conferences to ensure all teams have to play against conference teams and not schedule 12 cupcakes. There doesn't even have to be conference champion guarantees. Keep a selection committee to rank the teams 1 - 25 starting week 7 and then the Sunday after Thanksgiving, identify the final Top 8, spot the ball and go. Whether the games start the 1st or 2nd Saturday in December doesn't really matter. Like someone else said, the bowl games would not really be affected.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic