Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Etienne
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Etienne

Dec 12, 2019, 4:23 PM

Disclaimer: I posted this on the Etienne PFF story, but thought I'd post it to the main board as well.

Etienne's statistics (particularly yards per carry), are insane.

To try to put this in perspective...

Etienne is ranked in the 40s (I believe it's #42) in number of carries, but #6 in total rushing yards.

The 5 guys ahead of him in total rushing yards all have AT LEAST 98 more carries. (that's over 50% MORE carries)

He's 6th in total rushing yards for the season with less than 14 carries per game.

You have to go all the way back to #22 in total rushing yards to find someone with less carries than ETN (and that's a WR). And then go back to #25 to find an RB (2 less carries and 329 less yards).

If you gave him the same number of carries as Chuba Hubbard has (assuming ETN's same ypc rate), Etienne would have 2546 yards or 600 more yards than Chuba.

With the same number of carries criteria, his td rate would give him 29 tds (to Chuba and Jonathan Taylor's 21).

No one is even CLOSE to Etienne's productivity this year and honestly over his entire career.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/469

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Etienne or Simmons not being considered for

Dec 12, 2019, 4:27 PM

Players of the year is a JOKE! Almost as funny as Trevor not being considered for the heisman. Am I sour, hail yea I am...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate it for them...

Dec 12, 2019, 4:28 PM

but love it for us fans. We always have something to prove.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Etienne

Dec 12, 2019, 4:29 PM

ETN is definitely the best back by far in the country.

The real debate is who is the second best back.

My vote is Lyn-J

I give Dobbins #2.***

Dec 12, 2019, 9:33 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2019, 4:44 PM

Wow, I just sent someone at work an almost exact duplicate of this summation!

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/469

Clemson's Travis Etienne has 1500 yds and 17 TDs on 182 carries, good for 6th on the list. Every one above him has at least 98 more carries on the year. That's like 3 or 4 full games worth of carries. The leader in rushing, Chubba Hubbard (Oklahoma St) has 1936 yds, 21 TD, on 309 carries (127 more in 12 games than ETN has had in 13). ETN is #1 in rush yds per carry at 8.24 (Hubbard is 6.27). If ETNs yds per carry held and he had as many attempts as Hubbard, it extrapolates out to 2546 yds on 309 carries.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/453

Clemson's Trevor Lawrence has 3172 yds passing, 34 TD, 8 INT on 232 of 337 (68.8%) passing attempts (21st in total yds). Joe Burrow has 4715 yds, 48 TD, 6 INT, on 342 of 439 (77.9%) attempts (2nd in total yds). So, Burrow has 102 more attempts (30% more) than TL.

The leader is the insane Wazzou QB with 5228 yds, 45 TD, 16 INT, on 465 of 647 attempts (71.8%), a whopping 310 more attempts.

If TL had as many attempts as Burrow, with same yds per completion and completion rate, he'd be 302 of 439 for 4128 yds and 44 TDs and in 3rd place. Burrow in 2nd place is still doing a bit better, not unexpected for a SR vs SO, but not insanely different.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heard from a good source that if we lose

Dec 12, 2019, 4:49 PM

In the playoffs Etienne is COMING BACK.

MARK IT DOWN

Re: Heard from a good source that if we lose

Dec 13, 2019, 9:44 AM

I guess he's gone then

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2019, 5:50 PM

Thanks for your post! We fans get so spoiled that we often forget just how amazing this young man is. I know it's selfish, but I hope he returns for his senior year.

If he had been given 4th-quarter carries, when the opponent

Dec 12, 2019, 9:31 PM

D was completely gassed, he would have an even higher YPC average, if that's even imaginable.

Re: If he had been given 4th-quarter carries, when the opponent

Dec 13, 2019, 9:49 AM

That was the excuse people made during his freshman year. See long runs against Louisville, BC, Cuse in the second half. Then he came back as the feature back and has raised his ypc every year, and still doesn't get any respect.

8.2 ypc is INSANE, especially for someone who has hardly played a 4th quarter down all season. He's running it up on first string defenses in the first half before they get worn down.

Dec 13, 2019, 6:26 AM

I still think Dobbins is better, I mean he's not a far drop off from Zeke at all. T.E. does have off the charts ypc but he's not in Dobbins league for catching passes out of the backfield, route running, blocking downfield, and pass protection. Dobbins also has about 10 carries a game where everyone in the stadium knows he's getting the ball which isn't too conducive to ypc totals. I love T.E. but I hear alot of people say he's better than JK but the truth is JK is more complete and his jump cut is filthy.

Dec 13, 2019, 6:35 AM

His jump cut ?
If JKD was in the ACC here's where he'd rank :

1. T. Etienne
2. AJ Dillon
3. Cam Akers
4. JK Dobbins

DB23

This was a 'comparison' thread

Dec 13, 2019, 6:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Etienne ]

Not a 'who is better' thread. It's not a diss on other players...or programs...simply an appreciation for what is accomplished by players at Clemson. It further reinforces the culture of team over individual that exists at Clemson currently. The simple fact is, football is a team sport and, as such, it's highly unlikely Clemson will have individual award winners of the Heisman/Doak ilk, because those are beauty contests.

If there's an award that truly matters, the Campbell should be the one that garners the most attention. Sadly, it's not, which speaks to misplaced priorities. College is educational...isn't it?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This was a 'comparison' thread

Dec 13, 2019, 6:44 AM

^ He started it ;)

DB23

It was directed at him...

Dec 13, 2019, 6:46 AM

But I didn't type fast enough...so you squeezed in! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This was a 'comparison' thread

Dec 13, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to This was a 'comparison' thread ]

Exactly... not a diss on Dobbins, Taylor, Hubbard, or any of the other extremely talented backs in the country. Etienne does need to work on his receiving and blocking, but as a pure runner, I'd take him any day of the week. His balance and tackle-breaking ability is off the charts, and then he has the quickness/speed to run away from people.

It is rare to have the power to run over a linebacker, and then outrun a safety to the end zone... in the same play!

Dec 13, 2019, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Etienne ]

Dobbins is an outstanding back. ETN actually has more catches and yardage this year than Dobbins. Dobbins is a better blocker, no doubt. ETN is a better home run hitter. Dobbins might be a better choice if you need 3 yards for a first down. They are both great backs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 6:31 AM

It is incredible what he has done with the somewhat limited amount of touches , he is a super talented RB and am even better teammate .
His YAC is phenomenal .
That said , I appreciate how Dabo and Tony have kept him fresh and that will serve Clemson well going forward , and Travis too .

DB23

man i used to couldn't stand you.

Dec 13, 2019, 8:08 AM

But that was a long time ago and i'm sure it was over religion. it's the only thing i will argue til i turn blue in the face. You're definitely a great clemson fan. so you know, that kinda makes us family. ;) . we can still argue in the future if you'd like @TigerDug. haha

Dec 13, 2019, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Etienne ]

Yes, his YAC is what I was looking for but I didn't see it on this table. Anybody know those stats compared to other RBs on the list?

Dec 13, 2019, 8:18 AM

This is another way Clemson can be dissed by those in power...they can't beat us at football so they will reduce our stars to second class status by votes that are subject to politics! Clemson is not one of the major players but a Johnny come lately...Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, Florida, Penn State, Oklahoma and worthless (I mean countless) others are part of the 'good ole boys club of college football'! Icons of the past still are alive and well in the hearts of sportswriters and supporters of the game! Bear Bryant, Bud Wilkinson, Paterno, Sug Jordan, Vince Dooley, Jess Neeley, Bobby Dodd, Darrel Royal and even a crybaby like Frank Broyles get a front row...Dabo does not rate...can you imagine the 'Bear' having a player like Watson and him not winning the Heisman or an Etienne, Lawrence or Higgins...can't come to the party but we can serve the drinks...however we get to clean up after everyone is gone and pick up the spare change they dropped...like a 'Natty'!

Dec 13, 2019, 1:38 PM

Nothing would give me greater satisfaction that when playing osu, ETN,

1) Busts a 70 + yard run for a TD and
2) We have a drive where we do nothing but hand it to ETN which and he has about 5-6 runs for 10+ yards that ends with a TD by him.

Re: Etienne - he had a GREAT Year - GO TIGERS***

Dec 13, 2019, 3:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 3:14 PM

Travis will go 1'st round in the Draft. NFL teams understand statistics.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic