Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Enjoy now. It was a long dry spell from 1959 to 1977, when
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Enjoy now. It was a long dry spell from 1959 to 1977, when

Dec 11, 2017, 8:05 AM

we did not even make a bowl game. Looking back to our "undefeated home season" year of 1974, my soph year, we did not make a bowl game with a 7-4 record. How? Believe it or Not, there were only 11 total bowl games played that year. Eleben! Nowadays, there are so many that you can even make it with a losing record some years. That's what I call over saturation. Got to be a positive economic impact on those cities, though, or new ones wouldn't keep cropping up. Any of you statistics guys out there got some $$$ numbers? (Come on, you ain't got anything else to do until Jan 1!)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also was a sophomore in 1974. One reason we didn’t get a..

Dec 11, 2017, 8:29 AM

Bowl bid was a slow start and being shut out by Texas A&M and Marylandinntje first 4 games. We went on a roll winning 6 of 7 with only the 1 point loss to Tennessee. The problem was that Clemson’s tiring finish wasn’t recognized because the bowls starting offering bowl invites after the 7th game. UNC came to Clemson having just secured the Sun blwl bid. We lead something like 51-8 and beat them 54-32. David Caughn (the Southern Gentleman) and the cheer leaders keep cheering “Sun a bowl bound”! By the end of the season, we were playing like. Antop 25 team but all of the bowl bids had been handed out.

The good that came out of it was one of the best recruiting classes
In clemson history. That class was 11-1 as seniors.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a sophomore in 1974 - back then........

Dec 11, 2017, 9:10 AM

you really had to EARN the right to play in a bowl. Now, it's just a consolation prize for most teams having a break even year.

The Bad Old Days. I remember Red Parkers Scoreboard

Dec 11, 2017, 10:03 AM

and Ibrahim's Ice Cream Shop downtown from that era.

(Along with the original Red Carpet Lounge, of course).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Bad Old Days. I remember Red Parkers Scoreboard

Dec 11, 2017, 10:18 AM

Ah, the Red Carpet. I spent many a Thursday in there watching Star Trek back in 1969!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow you guys are old!***

Dec 11, 2017, 10:38 AM

Re: Wow you guys are old!***

Dec 11, 2017, 11:03 AM

Tell me about it!

My freshman year (76) we were pretty excited to learn that after winning our opener against Citadel, our next game, against Georgia at home, was going to be televised on ABC. That was a real big deal back then. We lost 41-0. Later that year I remember siting there when Duke tied us on a field goal on the last play of the game. We finished with three ties that year - 3-6-2. The next year, however, was when everything changed. Since then we've had a stumble or two but these have the glory years. I'm lucky enough to say that during my adult life Clemson has been a great program.

While you're talking about hang outs in Clemson, I loved Lester's Tiger Den (see my avatar). What a dump, but it was the best!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As ye shall be some day too, grasshopper.

Dec 11, 2017, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Wow you guys are old!*** ]

Take the pebble from my hand.

Fall 1974 was my senior year

Dec 11, 2017, 11:14 AM

If folks think we are disrespected now they would have loved the events of that season.

It took an illegal play and referees working with seeing eye dogs for Tennessee to score one more point than us - and I am not one to carry on about bad referees! This was for real.

The Tangerine Bowl was still available on the weekend of the South Carolina game. We beat the crap out of the gamecocks only to hear the next day that the final bowl bid went to a 5-6 Georgia team that we had already beaten! Clemson had not been to a bowl in 15 years. Bowl officials basically said that they wanted a team with a better bowl "pedigree" and a fan base that they knew would travel.

We totally got hosed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Condredge Frigging Holloway. That's all I have to say about

Dec 11, 2017, 12:05 PM

THAT.

Re: Enjoy now. It was a long dry spell from 1959 to 1977, when

Dec 11, 2017, 11:51 AM

Bowl games now aren't so much created because of the economic impact on the host city. You can look at the empty stands and see at best bowls break even on ticket sales to rent the stadium.

It's created for programming for ESPN.

If subs keep leaving them they'll have to cut back and you'll see the number of bowls decline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic