Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Service Dog rant #29,876
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Service Dog rant #29,876

Oct 15, 2019, 2:30 PM

I think I mentioned that I was taking my 94 y.o. grandfather out for a drive on Saturday in Greenville just to get him out of the house.....so, we started out from the 29607 and made our way to Furman.

1st Stop was the Tool Shed....I only mention this because it's my new favorite store in Greenville, hands down. If you're a man with an ounce of can-do attitude in you, this place is your toy store. I can't believe I've never been there.

2nd stop was Duke's Sandwich shop, because tradition. I drop grandfather off at the door and go park....when I walk up, he's holding the door for a couple 40-something ladies. But wait, what's that going in with them? A giant effing poodle. Like one of those great dane looking poodles. I had to think....did they add outside seating? Had Duke's become a hippie bar? No, and no. They're just bringing a big effing dog inside a restaurant. At the counter, the manager says "Is that a service dog"? Lady says yes it it. Manager says "do you have any papers showing its a service dog?", to which the lady basically shouts "OH NO YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO ASK ME FOR PAPERS AND I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW THEM!!!". Mgr shrugs and walks of. (BTW, I looked up the law later---ADA allows two questions--is it a service dog, and what service does it perform for you?)

So dog doesn't really bother me until the end of lunch when she walks by inches from our table with the dog to the bathroom, and the dog's tail about swats my sandwich. (Grandfather said "I wish they'd get that biitch out of here" and I replied "Which one"...much hilarity ensued).

Anyways, I'm a dog person, but it really feels like this whole service dog thing is being run into the ground lately. What's the tipping point going to be when it goes too far and they start placing stricter regulations on them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Service Dog rant #29,876

Oct 15, 2019, 2:35 PM

Obed said:

what service does it perform for you?

You might not want to know the answer to that one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I rarely get asked questions about my service mountain lion.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:35 PM

But the blood-curdling screaming can get a little annoying while he's performing his 'service', so there's that.

HIM'S A GOOD BOY.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Felious Concolour, if I remember correctly***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:37 PM

No.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:39 PM

Grover.

I call him Grover.

It's not Karen?

Oct 15, 2019, 2:39 PM

I thought she helped you learn to live with the fear?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sweet looking boy***

Oct 15, 2019, 2:38 PM [ in reply to I rarely get asked questions about my service mountain lion. ]

Dog culture in this country is out of control

Oct 15, 2019, 2:40 PM

And I say that as somebody that has two big dogs, and generally likes them. But I don't bring them to restaurants, and I don't assume that they are welcome any where I've been invited to. We invited my wife's coworker out on the boat once, and she showed up with her dog. Umm no, GTFO. I don't even let me own dogs on the boat anymore.

I see this as part of a larger problem in this country. Self righteous idiots are not being treated like they should be. They're given a pass on everything and it's emboldened them, your story is a perfect illustration of it. She'd probably let that dog #### on you and not GAF....No, not only would she not GAF, she'd insinuate that you're the assshole for having a problem with it.

The only solution I really see to this is violence.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo....you can't go to Home Depot anymore without hearing

Oct 15, 2019, 2:42 PM

some yapper two isles over or dodging a land mine on aisle 9.

I don't get it. Imagine if you could just whip into a handicapped parking space, and if someone asked you if you were handicapped just start yelling at them. But no, you have to prove it, just like you should prove this dog is literally keeping you from killing yourself or others because it's with you at that moment.

Really goes to show just how little the powers that be

Oct 15, 2019, 2:53 PM

understand human behavior. Anybody with a lick of common sense could see the whole service dog trend being abused from miles away, yet here we are. There was a woman who brought a service mini horse on a commercial flight for Perry Nobles sake, I mean come on.

I guess what gets me is the smugness so many of these people possess. Like you're somehow lacking intelligence because you think it's asinine that they take an animal everywhere with them. I won't get too political, but you see a lot of these personality traits amongst the people who think we can just send everybody to college and it would make the world a better place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why we can't have nice things.***

Oct 15, 2019, 3:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone scoffs at my solution to simply cut off the power

Oct 15, 2019, 3:12 PM

for 6 months and let things sort themselves out, but deep down you know it's needed.

I’ll tell you this....when the revolution comes,

Oct 15, 2019, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Really goes to show just how little the powers that be ]

The first ones in front of the firing squad are those who use the term “fur babies” Their ilk started this.

This really begs the question:

Oct 15, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Dog culture in this country is out of control ]

WHY MUST WE LIMIT VIOLENCE IN AMERICA TO JUST VIDEO GAMES?

I mean, if it's fun online, why can't it be fun in reality too?

what's your thought on handicap parking and people that

Oct 16, 2019, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Dog culture in this country is out of control ]

look as healthy as everyone else?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Some lady had a dog in target the other day

Oct 15, 2019, 2:44 PM

clearly not a service dog. It should be required by law for service dogs to wear their service vest.

I've given serious thought to opening a dog bar here in RH.

Oct 15, 2019, 2:47 PM

You, know...a place where people can come and get totally wasted, and then I turn vicious attack dogs loose on them and just laugh while they try to escape.

Sounds like a real money maker to me.

you sound ornery

Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 PM

stop acting like grandpa

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Don't get APM started on this sh*t. 1) They're ESAs

Oct 15, 2019, 3:04 PM

(emotional support animals). They are NOT required to trained or anything. They are NOT the same as service dogs, which are trained to do tasks for its owner and can pretty much go anywhere and are protected by law to do so. There is no universal set of standards for ESAs' training or behavior. They have bitten people and even mauled/disfigured little kids. They are legally protected in only TWO places under US law: housing and flights. Anyone tells you they can just have their animal with them, you as a business owner and legally able to tell them to GTF out.

2) They are now causing legal problems. A psychologist in California was recently disciplined for basically writing a letter for someone to have an ESA when the psychologist hadn't even laid eyes on the person. This is the ESA equivalent of doctor shopping for drugs. An airline has been sued for someone being bitten on a flight. If you have any interaction with these animals, stay as far away as possible. It could bite you. Literally and figuratively.

3) What a fukcing pain they are at conferences, in hotels, restaurants, etc.

4) APM hates to say it, but it will take more maulings/disfigurements/deaths and related lawsuits before we see what a mistake this is and people finally put a stop to having these beasts everywhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My emotional support honey badger doesn't like your tone***

Oct 15, 2019, 3:09 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing is certain...

Oct 15, 2019, 3:20 PM

it's not easy work collecting that delicious honey from a honey badger hive.

Papa G ain't seen this except at Lowes where everyone

Oct 15, 2019, 3:09 PM

brings a dog for some reason.

But, I am familiar with a group in the upstate that helps vets - good group.

https://www.sd4v.org/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pfffffttttt.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:14 PM

I see dog EVERT TIME I go to the vet's office. Cats too. Sometimes birds.

Once even a pig.

except that it doesn't really help vets (or anyone else)

Oct 15, 2019, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Papa G ain't seen this except at Lowes where everyone ]

It's an external locus of control. i.e., "I feel calm when my dog is around".

Fine. No doubt animals provide comfort. But what about when that dog gets run over? Then you've lost your emotional support AND now you have something else to grieve.

Sounds good on the face of it, but think through the consequences and it's not the best idea.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I know is the two vets I spoke to were able to function

Oct 15, 2019, 3:39 PM

much better with their dog. They said it changed their lives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These dogs are trained service dogs, not just comfort dogs.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:52 PM

it takes about 7 months of training for the dog and the vet.

They do wear a service dog vest and no one is supposed to pet or approach the dog - it needs to be focused on it's owner at all times.

do what?

Oct 15, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to except that it doesn't really help vets (or anyone else) ]

that is a really dumb post

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I'm a dog lover, but not on flights, in waiting rooms, in

Oct 15, 2019, 8:30 PM

public places in general. Having worked around veterans and people with emotional problems most of my career, I can tell you, ESAs are well-intended, but not a good idea when the consequences are sorted through.

Case in point:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/emotional-support-animal-mauls-5-year-old-at-portland-airport-lawsuit-claims

So what I’m getting from this is...

Oct 15, 2019, 3:14 PM

Everything in Greenville that you love is on Poinsett Highway.

What, you expect him to slum it up and enjoy

Oct 15, 2019, 3:46 PM

Cedar Lane Rd?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stopped reading at Tool Shed...to look up their hours.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:16 PM

To hell with that place man. Close at 5:30 during the week and 1 on Saturday. pfffft.

I also may begin to boycott places that aren't open on Sunday.

Then I read the rest of the story. I wish your Grandfather would have taken his walking stick and cracked that ##### in the face.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty weird hours.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:21 PM

For a male exotic strip club, I mean.

Enjoy it

Oct 15, 2019, 4:23 PM

My grandfather passed away Fri at 93. WWII vet there arent many of them left.
He was my last surviving grandparent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truly sorry to hear that bud

Oct 15, 2019, 4:24 PM

Trust me, I know what a gift it's been having him this long, and I'm sure you felt the same.

If you had Dukes mayo on a sandwich...

Oct 15, 2019, 7:17 PM

a little dog hair ain't gonna hurt it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 8:46 PM

I think of our basset hound as an emotional support animal (with a second job as a heart attack preventative,) but I don't take him with me everywhere. Some jerk not looking where he's going's liable to trip over ol' Bowser. I don't care if the jerk busts his bum, but I don't want the dog hurt. 'Sides, how much emotional support can one need at a sammich shop or Handy Home Lowes Depot City?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 4:32 AM

I like the service dog thing, but it depends on the dog and the owner. The dog has to be well trained and not in the way. The owner needs to keep the dog out of the way and be respectful.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic