Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Eli Manning’s W/L record is 117-117
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Eli Manning’s W/L record is 117-117

Jan 24, 2020, 11:29 AM

...and he’s getting talked up for “Hall of Fame”.
Does this mean the Coots have a chance at a “Hall of Fame” year next season?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Eli Manning’s W/L record is 117-117

Jan 24, 2020, 11:33 AM

Win loss record should not be a stat for a QB. He is absolutely a Hall of Fame QB. And I hate the Giants

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2020, 11:37 AM

No knock on Eli...he’s a classy guy.

I was just poking fun at the Dirtpeckers since they didn’t even get to 50% wins this year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Eli Manning’s W/L record is 117-117 ]

This is somewhat similar to just noting a pitcher's record when discussing their career.

I'm surprised with the supersaturation of stats in baseball that there is still not a "percentage of starts in which team lead when pitcher was removed".

You have to wonder how many 20 games winners MLB has lost due to terrible bullpens.

I know there are some Braves pitchers from last season who will reply to this post if they are on TNET.

Jan 24, 2020, 2:38 PM

I hear ya, what are the flaws of ERA as a stat IYO?

"Going .500 is an enormous achievement and should

Jan 24, 2020, 11:41 AM

be celebrated, and if you don't celebrate it then you are the worst fan in the history of your sports team!"

-Karen

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I may be in the minority here...

Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 AM

but Eli Manning has probably checked enough boxes to receive serious consideration for the NFL HOF.

Of course, his potential spot in the HOF won't be seriously debated for at least five years (he won't be eligible until 2025). In the meantime, here is a snip-it of his resume;

* Two-time Super Bowl champion
* Two-time Super Bowl MVP
* Four-time Pro Bowler
* Seventh in NFL history with 57,023 passing yards
* Seventh in NFL history with 366 passing TDs
* 117-117 regular-season record as a starter (not a ringing endorsement IMO)
* Third-most consecutive starts by a QB (210) in the NFL
* 2016 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year

He also holds countless New York Giants franchise records, including all-time leading passer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I may be in the minority here...

Jan 24, 2020, 11:58 AM

BigCUFan® said:

but Eli Manning has probably checked enough boxes to receive serious consideration for the NFL HOF.

Of course, his potential spot in the HOF won't be seriously debated for at least five years (he won't be eligible until 2025). In the meantime, here is a snip-it of his resume;

* Two-time Super Bowl champion
* Two-time Super Bowl MVP
* Four-time Pro Bowler
* Seventh in NFL history with 57,023 passing yards
* Seventh in NFL history with 366 passing TDs
* 117-117 regular-season record as a starter (not a ringing endorsement IMO)
* Third-most consecutive starts by a QB (210) in the NFL
* 2016 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year

He also holds countless New York Giants franchise records, including all-time leading passer.

He is a lock!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2020, 1:30 PM [ in reply to I may be in the minority here... ]

He'll get in for the reasons you pointed out. However, I'd argue those stats are due largely to playing for a very long time and being healthy for most of it.

The guy also had 3 seasons with over 20 interceptions, and 8 seasons with 15 or more interceptions. He led the league in interceptions thrown 3 times.

He had only 3 seasons out of his 16 where he was in the top 10 in the league in QBR, and the highest he ever finished was 8th.

He made 4 Pro Bowls in 16 years.

To me a Hall of Famer is at least thought of as being one of the best at his position during the time they played, and I've just never looked at him that way. I'm not saying he sucked or anything, but I don't recall a single season he played where most people would include in among the top 5 best quarterbacks in the league, or maybe even not top 10. To support this, he finished in the top 5 in the league in touchdown passes only 2 times, and yards only 3 times while finishing no higher than 4th in any season. He never won the MVP, and was only player of the month 1 time over his entire career.

He's a guy that's been average to good for 16 seasons with maybe a few moments here or there where he's looked very good.

Yeah, he's basically Joe Flacco except with the last

Jan 24, 2020, 1:54 PM

name Manning.

Hard to argue with any of that.***

Jan 24, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I may be in the minority here... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 24, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I may be in the minority here... ]

Could have mentioned that an act of God or some other supernatural force is most responsible for the 1st ring, followed by the D-Line; but neither was awarded the MVP-

Jan 24, 2020, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: I may be in the minority here... ]

To further add to my post from earlier, I also think playing in the current era obviously helps in the overall passing numbers.

He's 7th all-time in passing yards which is impressive no doubt. However, 8 of the top 10 guys in all-time passing yards are either active quarterbacks, or were active within the past 10 years. Phillip Rivers is 6th on the list, and Matt Ryan is 10th for goodness sake.

Both of those guys are solid, but I don't think many people would think of either as all-time greats. Carson Palmer is 14th, and Matthew Staford is 18th to further add to my point. Joe Flacco is 22nd on the list and has 1 Super Bowl. If Flacco somehow managed to win a 2nd Super Bowl would he become a hall of famer?

Jan 24, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to I may be in the minority here... ]

He's not Y. A. Tittle, but He was a great leader for the Giants.

Jan 24, 2020, 12:50 PM

Don't know about the football team, but it appears their coach qualifies for the Hall of Fame 26-25.

and Joe Namath had more career INT's than TD's

Jan 24, 2020, 12:56 PM

I watch 'Around the Horn' too!

Re: and Joe Namath had more career INT's than TD's

Jan 24, 2020, 1:01 PM

Well, then Toad Ellis is just as good as, if not better, than Willie Joe Namath...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he was HOF good, but he did win two

Jan 24, 2020, 1:22 PM

Super Bowls and that will probably be enough to get him in. Personally i think those were more attributable to the defense than to Eli, but whatever.

Jan 24, 2020, 4:32 PM

<###### src="https://giphy.com/#####/p7f2FYuUEgCNa" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen>

via GIPHY

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic