Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney says depth his key concern heading into fall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Apr 21, 2011, 3:53 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said during his teleconference with the media on Thursday that he knows many of the incoming freshmen and redshirt freshmen from last season - perhaps as many as 27 - will have to play this season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"?

Apr 21, 2011, 3:59 PM

Yeah, I have depth concerns about football, too.

Re: Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"?

Apr 21, 2011, 4:17 PM

Once the young guys adjust to the speed of the game, depth will become less of an issue. Seems to me like Dabo is feeling good about his past two recruiting classes...and so am I. Talent wins games and Clemson has it. Experienced talent wins championships and Clemson is storing it! Sorry. I just can't be that negative about Clemson.

If talent alone won games we'd have a better record the last

Apr 21, 2011, 5:28 PM

oh... 2 + decades.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If talent alone won games we'd have a better record the last

Apr 21, 2011, 5:30 PM

I think you need to look at the depth chart for the last 2 years.
Clemson had some talent but was not deep enough.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Apr 21, 2011, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"? ]

And you shouldn't be !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2011, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"? ]

Some people refuse to see anything positive, once they've made their minds up. We are on the right track, and we are getting there. You don't eat an elephant by swallowing it whole. You do it by one bite at a time, and we are taking big bites. I just hope we see the kind of progress I expect us to see, beginning this year, but the real future of Clemson will surface next year. It will take these talented new guys a year to acclimate, but we have quality kids who will get it done, and now we have the coaches to guide the progress. Color me all Orange, but that is what I see coming our way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2011, 1:48 PM

Ugh! You eat elephants?

Elephant is to food as Dabo is to head-coach.***

Apr 22, 2011, 9:10 PM

Re: Elephant is to food as Dabo is to head-coach.***

Apr 22, 2011, 9:12 PM

Lots of meat on an elephant....feed a lot of folks..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But is elephant meat any good? No. So nobody eats it.***

Apr 23, 2011, 6:09 AM

Great post Forest

Apr 22, 2011, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"? ]

Please allow me to take it one step further- utilizing your various talents in the right kinds of ways is also important. It is something that hasn't been apparent the past couple of years. I think Dabo realizes this, and he's taking the necessary steps needed to ensure that it starts to happen. It may take time to perfect, as most great things do, but in the meantime, I am going to enjoy the ride.

Apr 22, 2011, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"? ]

Well said! The talent has been recruited,the coaching staff is in place and the future looks bright. The next two to three years are going to be great for the Tigers. How can anyone,including the "dumpers" be negative on this program.Dabo will be a success!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope Dabo has adjusted to the speed of the game.***

Apr 22, 2011, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"? ]

Re: I hope Dabo has adjusted to the speed of the game.***

Apr 22, 2011, 9:14 PM

man, the loons come out of the woodwork every time dabo opens his mouth. this thread is nothing but pure drivel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everybody who questions Dabo's ability is a loon? Too funny***

Apr 23, 2011, 6:13 AM

Maybe, maybe not.***

Apr 21, 2011, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Depth concerns, as in, "I'm in over my head"? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Who's not going to qualify?***

Apr 21, 2011, 5:25 PM

NM

Re: Who's not going to qualify?***

Apr 21, 2011, 5:32 PM

Dodd

Negativity = Coot!!!

Apr 21, 2011, 6:02 PM

nm

kevin dodd***

Apr 21, 2011, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Who's not going to qualify?*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its actually Battle...Dodd still has a chance to make it in***

Apr 21, 2011, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Who's not going to qualify?*** ]

Can we please not start the negativity now,........

Apr 21, 2011, 8:39 PM

lets wait until we actually have a reason to ##### before we start about nothing

NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this

Apr 21, 2011, 10:10 PM

year's potential starters rode the pine in 2010 behind players the coaches considered more talented. Dabo better hope the underclassmen can provide lots of quality minutes this year. This is not about positive and negative. This is about chemistry and talent. Make no mistake ... Steele, Cheese and Morris can coach. The question is will the true freshmen, and redshirt sophomores & freshmen have the maturity and talent to take the upperclassmen's place on the field or at the least provide significant minutes. The Tigers need the young talent to emerge early or 2011 will be a longer year than 2010 based on the tougher 2011 schedule. Tigers can improve in 2011 - but coaches will have to coach up the young players and play the best talent regardless of class. Dabo - Its not brain surgery or aero propulsion. Play the best players and forego the never-ending cliches(i.e. Yesterday "we have to be all in". Today "Depth is key concern". Tomorrow "everybody has a job to do"??)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this

Apr 21, 2011, 10:48 PM

How much more talented can you be than a first round pick the past 2 years, a "NFL Quality" QB, a WR starring for the Raiders and other NFL players.

I mean really guys, Dabo could not get it done with proven quality outstanding players like Bowers, Ford, and Spiller. What in the world makes you think he can get it done in 2011 with kids who are completely unproven with no guarantees any of them will transition from HS football to college football.

Apr 22, 2011, 9:08 AM

Two main things. Good OL coach and a real OC. Also, Steele finally is getting some other types that feature his defensive scheme, albeit we had a few defensive stars last year, we are adding some real stars at LB, which has been our biggest issue in the last several years. Of course all of us will see in a few months, but I feel better about our chances in the future than I have in the last many years.

Apr 22, 2011, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this ]

That is not a fair comparison. Spiller and Ford did not play on last years 6-7 team. I think the loss of Spiller and Ford(among other players),Ellington's injury,and Dabo's misshandling of Parker were three key components in our losing season last year. It's easy to be a offensive coordinator when all you have to do is find a way to get CJ the ball.

you're talking about the difference between

Apr 22, 2011, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this ]

hope and optimism.

Optimism is supported by facts that indicate that things are getting better.

Hope, on the other hand, runs counter to the facts - there may not be any objective reason to think things will get better, but hope still looks ahead.

I have hope. That's what makes me think Dabo will get it done in 2011 or 2012.

Hopefully Dabo learned from his mistakes & Morris is good.

Apr 22, 2011, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this ]

As an inexperienced head coach, Dabo made a lot of mistakes over the last 2.5 years. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes, Morris is a good OC, and Dabo will let Morris and Steele do their jobs.

Excellent post and you are 100% correct

Apr 22, 2011, 10:51 AM [ in reply to NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this ]

Dabo needs to lose the favortism, the Parker situation was melodrama I don't ever want to see again at CU.

Re: Excellent post and you are 100% correct

Apr 24, 2011, 7:45 PM

Relax! Any coach playing that many freshman is going to worry about depth and whether or not they can step up at the college level with consistency. Goes hand-in-hand with recruiting better talent the last 2 classes than he had on campus. Better to have depth concerns and more talent than the other way around.

Apr 22, 2011, 11:53 AM [ in reply to NewsFlash. Our starters were 6-7 last year. Many of this ]

What about player development? Dabo can never seem to address that issue!

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic