Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA delays final report on UNC cheating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

NCAA delays final report on UNC cheating

Oct 6, 2017, 1:14 PM

Why NCAA report on UNC academic case will not be released Friday

CHAPEL HILL The NCAA’s final investigative report in the long-running UNC-Chapel Hill case will not be released on Friday, as was originally intended, the university announced on Thursday.

Parties associated with the investigation received notice on Thursday morning that the NCAA Committee on Infractions planned to release its final report, which will include penalties, on Friday at noon, according to a source with knowledge of the case.

Based on the source’s report that an email had been sent out by the NCAA, The News & Observer tweeted on Thursday morning that the ruling was expected to be released on Friday.

Hours after the NCAA sent that email, though, the university announced that the NCAA’s final report would not be released on Friday due to “scheduling circumstances.” UNC on Friday is set to announce a multibillion-dollar fundraising campaign, and campus events are scheduled throughout the weekend.

“Due to scheduling circumstances, there will be no release (on Friday) regarding the NCAA Committee on Infractions decision,” Joel Curran, UNC’s vice chancellor of communications, said in a statement. “We have not yet received the Committee’s public infractions report. We anticipate we will be informed 24 hours prior to the actual release at a later date.”

Institutions under major NCAA investigation are notified 24 hours before the NCAA Committee on Infractions intends to release its final investigative report. Though schools receive a day’s notice that the report is coming, they might not receive a copy of the report until the morning before it is released.

That the NCAA intended to release its findings on Friday indicates that the infractions committee completed its work sooner than anticipated. The standard length of time for the committee to release its findings is between eight to 12 weeks; UNC appeared before the committee about seven weeks ago.

That appearance, in Nashville, Tenn., spanned two days. University officials, including chancellor Carol Folt and athletic director Bubba Cunningham, attended the hearing, which lasted approximately 15 hours. UNC men’s basketball coach Roy Williams attended the hearing for both days, as did women’s basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell. Larry Fedora, the football coach, attended the first day.

The NCAA’s investigation has focused on how bogus African Studies courses helped UNC athletes maintain their eligibility. The classes existed for 18 years, from 1993 through 2011, but the NCAA investigation has focused on half that time – from 2002 through 2011.

UNC is facing five Level I allegations – the most serious the NCAA can levy. Among those allegations are a lack of institutional control, and that the university’s athletic department conspired to provide athletes impermissible benefits in the form of access to the courses at the heart of the investigation.

The case has been marked by several unusual delays. The NCAA issued its first Notice of Allegations in May 2015, before UNC provided the NCAA with new information that halted the case. The NCAA then issued a second NOA in April 2016.

The case then appeared headed for a date with the infractions committee, but a procedural hearing with members of that committee brought another delay. The NCAA issued a third NOA last December, and the case finally went before the infractions committee in August.

The penalties that UNC is facing have remained uncertain. At their most severe, the sanctions could include postseason bans and the vacation of victories, including, potentially, at least one national championship in men’s basketball. More benign penalties could include probation and a fine.

Andrew Carter: 919-829-8944, @_andrewcarter

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article177205461.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Delaying the inevitable.

Oct 6, 2017, 1:20 PM

...that nothing will happen at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Delaying the inevitable.

Oct 6, 2017, 2:50 PM

Does this surprise anyone ?

Imagine That? they wouldn't do that for any other school***

Oct 6, 2017, 1:22 PM

Re: NCAA delays final report on UNC cheating

Oct 6, 2017, 1:28 PM

Findings will be delayed until SWOFFORD IS FIRED. He is the problem. Why can't the ACC heads see that?

Not surprised at all.***

Oct 6, 2017, 1:30 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Oct 6, 2017, 2:22 PM

Please tell me how in the world unc can delay receiving information- presumably bad news- because it’s inconvenient for them or because they have something else scheduled? How can anybody have any respect for a governing body or that body have any credibility whatsoever if they allow one of their favorite children to receive special consideration. Whole thing is bogus as will be their slap on the wrist. Sickening.....maddening. GO TIGERS!

Re: NCAA ... worthy of respect?

Oct 6, 2017, 2:38 PM

The fact the NCAA has taken over, what, five years with just this case...while handing down decisions at other programs in far less time? That's worth of respect? The same NCAA that has known...KNOWN of the 'seedy world' of AAU and, by extension, NCAA basketball at many of the top programs and did nothing...NOTHING? That's a 'governing body'...and worthy of respect?

The NCAA is a joke.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 3:43 PM

I don't understand why the article states that the most severe punishment would be a postseason ban. I thought the death penalty was in play because of the dreaded lack of institutional control accusation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 3:57 PM

I consulted my crystal ball and here is what it told me concerning the uncsuck penalties. You heard it first here, Basketball, reduction in one scholarship for two years and and no limits on post season play, Football, reduction in two scholarships for one year and no limits on post season play due to the previous self imposed sanctions. I know this is pure speculation on my part , but this is probably what could happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA delays final report on UNC cheating ]

What shoe company supports the NCAA?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Re: NCAA delays final report on UNC cheating ]

I believe they have to have previously been on probation within a certain period of time before the death penalty comes into effect.

Eenie Meenie, Chili Beanie, the Spirits Are About to Speak.

Oct 6, 2017, 3:57 PM

UNC will tie this up in federal courts for a decade. I won't live to see the ax fall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC: Sorry NCAA, I'm washing my hair that night***

Oct 6, 2017, 3:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNC: Sorry NCAA, I'm washing my hair that night***

Oct 6, 2017, 5:55 PM

Since when does the school determine when the hammer drops . If they get a slap on the wrist , I don't ever want to hear of a Clemson student becoming academically ineligible ever .

Roy didn't know .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 6:08 PM

All I know is that if the ACC doesn't tack on another year on their probation, then it will lose any credibility that it might have (which in my opinion is about nil)!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic