Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN's CFB Power Ranking blows
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

ESPN's CFB Power Ranking blows

Oct 13, 2019, 11:54 AM

CU routs FSU and ESPN moves Georgia down & moves Oklahoma above us Still #5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27830031/college-football-power-rankings-week-7

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you expect when we have no marquee wins?

Oct 13, 2019, 11:59 AM

We won't move up this year until teams with better schedules ahead of us start losing. And don't be surprised if say, Penn State beats Ohio State and just replaces Ohio State ahead of us.

Re: ESPN's CFB Power Ranking blows

Oct 13, 2019, 12:08 PM

Any poll which has UGA in the top ten after they struggled at home to beat ND and lost to USuCk is an embarrassment. Who has Florida beaten again? Auburn? Wisconsin #6? Someone hasn't watched them play. They are top 5 at least. LSU #1? Someone hasn't looked at their OOC schedule very closely.

Oct 13, 2019, 12:11 PM

The two that shock me is tosu and Oklahoma. Their schedule has been weaker than ours.

Texas and aTm would be even. Nobody talks about how easy a schedule tosu has had. Only reason they’ve won so big is fields as has hurts have been in the fourth qtr til late game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 12:15 PM

They like their stats and for the most part their stats are pretty good...but there's one important - actually, huge - stat they still aren't measuring and it's why they keep missing on Clemson.

That stat is "number of players who play while the game is still in question." Here's where Clemson is #1 by a mile.

Why does it matter? Here. This is late in garbage time but let's let Darrien Rencher demonstrate. Skip to about the 22:10 mark on the video below - first you'll see Landen Zanders breaking up a throw from starting QB James Blackman to starting WR Ontaria Wilson, and THEN Rencher puts some brutal licks on as many as 4-5 different starting Seminole players while making about a 15+ yard run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcs8EnyeJ_A

I just sort of flinch a bit when I see this, because people take it for granted but that stuff is not free. Those are bone-jarring collisions and bruises and potential broken bones happening out there. Mind, Clemson's starters were long-since on the sideline sipping cold drinks and spectating and not risking injury. In the meantime, FSU's starters were taking abuse.

Multiply that by a season and you see why Clemson starts getting real dominant starting in October and even more so in November, December, and January.

And those fancy maffs stats on ESPN and S&P+, while good as far as they go, still don't measure attrition and depth at all. Which seems like a pretty important thing to miss on, no?

Oct 13, 2019, 12:59 PM

BINGO!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's CFB Power Ranking blows ]

Quozz, amazingly spot-on post, as usual. Excellent analysis and insight. Glad to see a recent uptick in football posts from you. Your political posts are equally insightful and thought-provoking, though being active duty, I can’t comment on those matters. Plus, I’ve experimented the last six months with a low/no news diet, and I’ve never been happier. Not saying it’s a causal relationship or that decision is right for everyone, but it works for me and my family at this stage of life.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's CFB Power Ranking blows ]

Nice post Quozz. And just to add to your point, if/when we need Zander or Renchers in actual meaningful plays with games on the line, they will have that experience. Because me personally, I enjoyed have 3-4 RBs with fresh legs last year. We need Dixon and Rencher and the 2 freshmen to get their pass protection figured out so we can keep some fresh legs in Dec/Jan.

Markie Slackback... dedicated Dawg diva. His puppies lost so

Oct 13, 2019, 12:27 PM

his only refuge is carrying the SEC mantra.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

two fellers on XM were asked this AM which team

Oct 13, 2019, 12:50 PM

if playing its "A Game" would beat all the others. I think it was Luginbill and Sallee. One said Bama (44-16), the other Ohio's Tate (30-0). Oh, these "professional" analysts have SUCH short memories of actual results.

Not a whiff of Clemson even mentioned. Would have been disappointed if that had.

I just smile and nod.....you wanna lose by 30 or 28?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 12:53 PM

Again i don't give 2 tick turds what the power rankings, FPI, AP, Coaches or none of that crap has any team at. Only rankings that matter is the final 4. After that we control our destiny. Nothing else matters people so stop worrying about it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 1:56 PM

As 'scientific' as they pretend to make these miserables, I believe all of them have a fudge factor built in somewhere.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic