Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN's "Best College Football Programs"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,361

ESPN's "Best College Football Programs"

Aug 22, 2019, 7:59 AM

They did this to celebrate/honor the 150th anniversary of college football.

Check it out. Clemson is ranked 24th between Grambling & Boise St. Boise is ahead of us - - they have 1 Natty & that's a I-AA title in 1980. Oh yeah - & they have an OT win over OKLA in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27379180/the-50-best-college-football-programs-150-years

Others ahead of CU:

Florida - never had a conf. championship (from ANY conf.) until Spurrier in '91. 3 Natties (1 under Spurrier; 2 under Urban)

Georgia - 1 Natty in 1980

Auburn - 2 Natties (1957 & 2010)

Tenn - 2 Natties (last 1 in 1998)

Penn St - Virtually no football success until Paterno, & a good 95% of success was all under Joe - yes, the scandal-ridden Joe-Pa. The worst scandal ever in college ball & DESERVED the death penalty.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN's "Best College Football Programs"

Aug 22, 2019, 8:05 AM

The NCAA wisely did away with the death penalty. Not only did it destroy SMU's football program, but it was shown to have been detrimental to the economy of Dallas. We can't have the NCAA mucking up the economy of a major city.

3 Ivy Leagues in top 13

Aug 22, 2019, 8:09 AM

I guess longevity counts for something

Granted, hard to do a ranking that covers all divisions over 150 years

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please don't be the very kind of thin skinned fan that

Aug 22, 2019, 8:10 AM

Finebaum has been talking about. This list covers 150 years. Our program wandered in the wilderness for decades several different times, and was flat out not good during much of those times. The list is a totality of that history, viewed from the lens of time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is the formula

Aug 22, 2019, 8:19 AM

The formula

Basic model
Dominance, 20% -- number of national championships
Peak strength, 20% -- winning percentage for best 50 seasons in program history
Since integration, 30% -- winning percentage over the past 50 seasons (1969-2018)
Early modern, 20% -- winning percentage over the middle 50 seasons (1919-1968). Mostly pre-integration and included some games against non-college teams
Pre-modern, 10% -- winning percentage over the first 50 seasons (1869-1918) *mostly pre-standardization of current rules and many games against non-college teams

Adjustments
National championships below the FBS level count at 50%
National championships before the poll era (1936) count at 50%
Winning percentages when a team was not in Division I are reduced by 10%

Wouldn't you think there would be one factor for overall, program long winning percentage? This puts too much emphasis on "championships", but actually double dips somewhat for the current powers (using best 50-year period and last 50 years as separate criteria, totaling 50% of score). We benefit from that.

But if you are doing a ranking covering the entire history of college football, why not have one measure for total winning percentage, to factor in sustainability and consistency?

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

Re: Here is the formula

Aug 22, 2019, 8:22 AM

Since we won our second championship, I thought national championships are the only thing that matters or have ever mattered.

Seems like that is what we tell the UGA folks who visit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's what we have over them

Aug 22, 2019, 9:11 AM

What do you expect us to say? Look at the head to head. Although we have met Georgia a couple of times in the past 10 years, none of them were during our CFP run.

Georgia is ranked ahead of us despite the championships, and as unpopular as it may be, I think they got that right, considering the total resumes. Do they have a better program on August 22, 2019? No.

Re: Here is the formula

Aug 22, 2019, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Here is the formula ]

One would think they could come up with some better criteria like best traditions, size of stadium, alumni support, bowl appearances...

That formula is pretty screwy!

Aug 22, 2019, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Here is the formula ]

We rank 21st in total wins, then factor in our dominance of the past five years, plus three national championships, there is no way we should be out of the top 20.

The national championships should be weighted, with the most weight in the CFP era, followed by the modern era(since 1970), with those prior to 1970 counting even less!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN's "Best College Football Programs"

Aug 22, 2019, 8:37 AM

I cannot believe they left the U of SCAR Lamecocks off of the list. Just the cabooses alone should have gotten them into the top 25.

Re: ESPN's "Best College Football Programs"= I guess

Aug 22, 2019, 8:39 AM

one ACC Championship 50 years ago wont get you on that list

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, they are $EC, too.***

Aug 22, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's "Best College Football Programs" ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Hard to see how Auburn could be ahead of us, with one

Aug 22, 2019, 2:43 PM

national title in the modern era, and only two total, to our three, and not near as many conference titles. And the only measure of UGA being ahead of us is the head to head, and the majority of those games were played in Athens! I also don't think Tennessee compares to us, in the modern era!

It's nice to recognize history, but the here and now is what's important!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Minn has 6 national championships and they are lower than us***

Aug 22, 2019, 3:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of those last 5 you listed should be ahead of Clemson.

Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 PM

We’ve been great for about 4 years, and good for a couple years before that. The 30 years before our current run were pretty mediocre. Yes we are awesome now, but this list is over the long run.

What USC is ahead of Clemson

Aug 22, 2019, 3:55 PM

at Number 5?

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,361
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic