Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN bubble is starting to burst
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

ESPN bubble is starting to burst

Feb 9, 2017, 6:54 AM

I see where posts are directed at the recent changes to espn formats. I heard on Fox Sports that Disney reported an unacceptable revenue year due to social media. Last year alone, ESPN lost 13,000,000 viewer subscriptions resulting in over a billion $s in revenue. At this rate, there won't be much to admire about them going forward.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EsecPN =

Feb 9, 2017, 7:01 AM
IMG_0864.JPG(98.2 K)

Re: ESPN bubble is starting to burst

Feb 9, 2017, 7:05 AM

Clay Travis on outkickthecoverage.com has a good article about the implosion and some of the reasons for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 7:08 AM

Thanks I'll be sure to read!

Link?***

Feb 9, 2017, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN bubble is starting to burst ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here you go

Feb 9, 2017, 9:11 AM

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Yep. I listen to Fox sports radio now and if it were not for our

Feb 9, 2017, 7:36 AM

football success these past two years, I would seldom watch ESPN. If they didn't own college football I'd be 100% gone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's because people are able to select what..

Feb 9, 2017, 7:40 AM

they want now. It's not a backlash against ESPN. My sister who hates sports is no longer required to have ESPN. The metrics have changed.

People are ditching cable packages. Just think how

Feb 9, 2017, 7:56 AM

many people that didn't even like sports were forced to pay for ESPN because it was part of every cable bundle. Now that there are so many alternative ways to get shows and movies, live sports are really the only reason to have cable, and the people that don't like sports are ditching it in favor of things like Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, etc.

ESPN's problem isn't their programming, and it's not the SEC Network or anything like that. Their failure was a lack a foresight and an inability to react to the changing television landscape. Even now, years after this has become a very obvious problem, they still have no alternative options for watching their programming. It's either cable subscription or nothing.

Re: People are ditching cable packages. Just think how

Feb 9, 2017, 8:16 AM

and i'm forced to pay for shiz like TLC and MTV.

Right, but those cost a fraction of the amount that

Feb 9, 2017, 8:48 AM

the ESPN channels cost.

Most Espn talk shows are garbage! Period***

Feb 9, 2017, 10:41 AM

Feb 9, 2017, 8:23 AM [ in reply to People are ditching cable packages. Just think how ]

I'm really glad we're getting the ACC network. Timing seems to be perfect.

Feb 9, 2017, 8:31 AM

It amazes me when I see Tiger fans who appear to be rooting for ESPN to fail. Yes they pump the SEC every chance they get, but we are completely tied to ESPN as well, and they've been good to us. We are getting our own conference network, and we are getting much more airtime.

Feb 9, 2017, 8:42 AM

This wasn't an attempt to slam them as a Tiger fan. 13,000,000 people left them for social media. That's the story. These people aren't all fans of Clemson. End of an era

Feb 9, 2017, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: People are ditching cable packages. Just think how ]

I believe for cable to survive it is going to have to allow subscribers to pick their top two dozen networks and bundle other services. I can count the channels I watch and everything else is a waste.

That's what I'm hoping for. Honestly if it weren't for

Feb 9, 2017, 8:49 AM

Clemson games i would probably get rid of my cable as well.

Feb 9, 2017, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: People are ditching cable packages. Just think how ]

I so agree with your statement on cable bundling. I know our family is a Vue subscriber. Once the NFL draft is done, we will probably ditch the sports add-on until football season next year. I also spoke with a Dish tech that said with the emergence of 5G coming into market now, the whole cable/dish/streaming model will start to converge. It will basically all be streaming. We're talking a few years down the road. I'm sure they same names will be players but they will each sell you a 'box' to put in your home to capture that signal. But your 'cable' will be like your cell phone signal now. That is his assessment anyway - I don't know jack about it.

On the ESPN front, wouldn't it be awesome if Clemson's victory in the CFP NC Game bring down 2 empires - Bama and ESPN. Well.....one-and-a-half empires since they are kinda one and the same! :)

Part of what you say is correct, but their programming IS

Feb 9, 2017, 10:27 AM [ in reply to People are ditching cable packages. Just think how ]

part of their problem. It has done downhill, with much less sports and way to much yapping by folks that have not business being on TV. Their competition is providing better programming and people are moving in that direction. FS1, FS2, NBCSports, and CBS Sports are good alternatives and have sports programming without all the SEC crap and without the politically-slanted yappers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't watch anything outside of live sports and most

Feb 9, 2017, 12:56 PM

of my friends and relatives that i speak to are the same way. I honestly wouldn't find Joe ######### on FS1 any less obnoxious than Skip Bayless. I think all of those shows outside of Sportscenter are mostly just there to fill air time between live sports broadcasts.

Feb 9, 2017, 8:51 AM

They made their bed. Now, let them wallow in it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sirius Radio added Fox Sports, much better than ESPN radio

Feb 9, 2017, 8:51 AM

say what you want about Cowherd, he has an interesting radio show. And some of the other shows I've heard are a lot better than the crap ESPN is airing.

Message was edited by: RC Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CNBC was speculating Disney will sell ESPN .***

Feb 9, 2017, 10:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like ESPN and listen to it daily on sirius or podcast.

Feb 9, 2017, 12:12 PM

I like the access to sports it gives me.
I like that schools arw getting big money from TV contracts.
I like that I can live in CA but stream a Clemson baskeball or football game on my phone if I'm stuck at work.

Is it all spot on commentary? No. But that's the nature of commentary. Sometimea you'll agree and sometimes you won't. I like Mike and Mike, can't stand Dan LeBatard.. so I ignore him.

There is a huge sense of wanting espn to fail in this board and I find it misguided. Do you folks think you are entitled to the platforms Espn had delivered (like watchespn)? They've been great for me and arguably great for Clemson.

I hope they find a way to be successful going forward in addition to the competing networks. Thats what is best for consumers.

null

I had my e$pn cut off last week

Feb 9, 2017, 12:20 PM

I do not like their politics or biases.

I had my e$pn cut off last week

Feb 9, 2017, 12:20 PM

I do not like their politics or biases.

Feb 9, 2017, 12:45 PM

It's what they deserve for Bringing politics into sports. Who didn't see this coming?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cramer Remix:The reason you would be an idiot to sell Disney

Feb 9, 2017, 1:36 PM

Cramer Remix: The reason you would be an idiot to sell Disney

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/cramer-remix-the-reason-you-would-be-an-idiot-to-sell-disney.html

Disney stock to rise 20%, RBC Capital says, citing potential ESPN gains

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/disney-stock-to-rise-20-percent-rbc-capital-says-citing-potential-espn-gains.html

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic