Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you are tired of being subpar in basketball PLEASE...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

If you are tired of being subpar in basketball PLEASE...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:04 AM

I urge you to contact the athletic department. I don't expect Clemson basketball to be in the Big Dance every year. But my expectations are much higher than what we are producing. There are plenty of Football schools that are very successful in basketball. In fact, very often great football should make you more prone to basketball success (More money, higher visibility, etc). Below is the telephone number and email address to contact if you are unsatisfied with the CURRENT state of our basketball program...

Dan Radakovich - Director of Athletics - 864-656-1935 - DANRAD1@clemson.edu

Graham Neff - Deputy Director of Athletics - 864-656-0128 - Neffg@clemson.edu

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you are tired of being subpar in basketball PLEASE...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:10 AM

I truly believe we will be good the next few years.

As did I three years ago...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:15 AM

I wear orange glasses too my friend but at some point you have to call a spade a spade. With a better coach we could be even better. 10 years is a long experiment. Just my opinion. I can tell from the crowds at Littlejohn that I'm not the only of our fans and alumni that feel this way.

Re: As did I three years ago...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:19 AM

I would have fired Brad years ago. I think he has been weak overall. I just believe the players that are finally being put in place and our recruits coming in, as well as the transfer being eligible and injured players returning next year. Our young talented players will mature too. If we stay healthy we should have a good team moving forward. It's kind of the wrong time for a firing in my mind. I think next year he should return. I realize it's counterintuitive due to Brad's history, but I really believe in what is being built.

Mar 5, 2020, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Re: If you are tired of being subpar in basketball PLEASE... ]

I agree with that. Quite a few felt that way with Bowden. So I think with new leadership we could be that much better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!

Mar 5, 2020, 7:18 AM

No one is claiming we don't have talent right now. We have had talent before. A better coach could do MUCH more with it. Or are we gonna just sit back and say "Well the we don't know about a new coach...He might not get us to the NIT"...

Re: Exactly!

Mar 5, 2020, 7:22 AM

I am saying we dont have the talent and experience in place right now, but we will next year. This season went almost as expected, maybe better.

You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:30 AM

And yes we do have talent coming in but I can't in good conscience support a coach that can not be successful after 10 years on the job. And yes I was in San Diego when we dominated Auburn to make the Sweet 16. However, we've wasted a decade of our lives on subpar basketball and I think Clemson fans deserve better.

Re: You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:39 AM

It has been a waste. No doubt. I would have fired him 5 years ago. I just like what I see coming together now. Finally.

With that attitude Tommy Bowdens 9th ranked recruiting class

Mar 5, 2020, 7:45 AM

in 2008 would have been reason to keep him on. I'm not saying we are going to find a Dabo but I certainly don't think it hurts to look. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Re: With that attitude Tommy Bowdens 9th ranked recruiting class

Mar 5, 2020, 8:10 AM

Football and basketball. Apples and oranges imo. Also, CBB just started recruiting better last class and this upcoming class. We have better facilities now. The Clemson brand overall has improved. I see more potential. The timing the way everything is coming together seems different imho.

Having the #43 ranked class in the nation...

Mar 5, 2020, 8:22 AM

isn't exactly "Turing it around". I think we just have different expectations. Nothing wrong with that. Just feel like we need to change the culture.

Re: Having the #43 ranked class in the nation...

Mar 5, 2020, 9:03 AM

Wr only have 2 commitments and both are top 100. One of them is one of the top recruits we have had all time. I see needs being met. We will have good guard play next year. We need help inside. My expectations are as high as the highest on this board.

Well I hope the talent coming in pans out...

Mar 5, 2020, 9:04 AM

Preferably with a good coach.

Our returning guards are averaging 8.2 pts.,

Mar 5, 2020, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Having the #43 ranked class in the nation... ]

40% fg, 30% from 3pt land, and 2.2 assists per game. Not sure where the high expectations are coming from.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Our returning guards are averaging 8.2 pts.,

Mar 5, 2020, 10:42 AM

Really?

Clyde Trapp with another six months to heal his still healing ACL.
Al-Amir Dawes...one of the best freshman guards we've ever had...with another six months to develop.
Alex Hemenway with another six months to get bigger and faster.
John Newman with another six months to improve his ball-handling and overall perimeter shooting.
Chase Hunter...a highly-recruited freshman with injury problems gets to heal and prepare to contribute.

Nick Honor...who would have been our starting point guard all season...becomes eligible.

That's the excitement. I understand everyone is looking for the worst out of everything right now, but it that really THAT difficult to see?

I respect the fact that you are hopeful. I am just pointing

Mar 5, 2020, 11:24 AM

out that's all it is, and is in no way whatsoever connected with reality based on what happened this year. Our gaurd play this year was pedestrian. It may be better next year, it may not. We've seen it many times here; a year of experience does not always translate into better performance on the court.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm not arguing, just a question though...

Mar 5, 2020, 11:39 AM

under Brownell, how many talented guards have we had that didn't get better with experience?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I'm not arguing, just a question though...

Mar 5, 2020, 11:47 AM

As a team though look at what happened last year. We had a veteran Sweet 16 team coming back and failed epically. I want to trust we’ll improve next year, but it normally hasn’t been the case under Brownell. Some players even regressed last year. Orange glasses will be needed but hopefully they have a huge year.

Re: I'm not arguing, just a question though...

Mar 5, 2020, 11:54 AM

Shelton Mitchell's chronic knee issues killed us last year. I don't think the average Clemson basketball follower knows how bad those issues were. He's already been forced to retire and give up the game, because doctors will not clear him to play any longer...so he didn't have a career overseas or anything. It said a lot when he wasn't even able to play in the NIT.

Who experienced a regression last year that wasn't

Mar 5, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not arguing, just a question though... ]

due to injuries?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Just spit ballin here, but I'd say

Mar 5, 2020, 12:36 PM

your sechs life

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Shelton Mitchell comes to mind. His numbers did not

Mar 5, 2020, 9:59 PM [ in reply to I'm not arguing, just a question though... ]

improve significantly from year to year. Gabe DeVoe had a monster senior year, but he did not progress in a steady, linear fashion from year to year. That's why I'm saying, we can't count on better guard play next year from our returning guards. It just doen't work that way.

- H. L. Mencken

I'm not sure what you mean by Devoe not progressing in

Mar 6, 2020, 10:58 AM

a steady linear fashion? His points per game, assists per game, 3-pt shooting percentage and FG percentage all increased every year over 4 years. Yes, he made a big jump his senior year, but he also went from starting 7 games his junior year to starting 35 games as a senior.

As far as Shelton is concerned, he dealt with some pretty serious health issues as mentioned above. Even then, in his 3 years at Clemson, his 2nd and 3rd years were improved over his first. It's true that his 2nd year was better than his 3rd year, but he had a better team around him in his 2nd year too.

The good news with our current guards is that we have a lot of good guards and next year's team will be very strong at 1, 2 and 3 positions. I would expect Dawes to keep improving because he appears to take coaching well and gives max effort. So there will be plenty of talent to choose from over the next 2-3 years.

Re: Our returning guards are averaging 8.2 pts.,

Mar 5, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Our returning guards are averaging 8.2 pts., ]

Ah, yes, the old fact everyone seems to be forgetting that players do not progress over time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our incoming class, that has everybody so fired up, is

Mar 5, 2020, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: With that attitude Tommy Bowdens 9th ranked recruiting class ]

ranked EIGHTH in the ACC (and it's not just a numbers thing). This will be a good class for us, but won't do much to catch us up to our competition.

- H. L. Mencken

#43 in the nation....

Mar 5, 2020, 9:08 AM

Not exactly world beaters. Cusp of bubble territory?

Re: Our incoming class, that has everybody so fired up, is

Mar 5, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Our incoming class, that has everybody so fired up, is ]

8th because we only have 2 players.

ranked EIGHTH in the ACC (and it's not just a numbers thing). This will be a good class for us, but won't do much to catch us up to our competition.

Two of the teams ahead of us only have 2 commits as well.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:03 AM

Six of the seven ahead of us have higher or equal average star ratings per player than us. Any way you slice it, 7 ACC teams recruited better than the class we are putting so much hope in.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Two of the teams ahead of us only have 2 commits as well.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:20 AM

We have the Hunter Renfrow's of college hoops. Watch out. Add that to Brad's x's and o's.....fugggetaboudit

Mar 5, 2020, 8:04 AM [ in reply to You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad... ]

User Logo
goclemsontigs
All-TigerNet [12431]
TigerPulse: 100%
You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad... [1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2020 7:30 AM

And yes we do have talent coming in but I can't in good conscience support a coach that can not be successful after 10 years on the job. And yes I was in San Diego when we dominated Auburn to make the Sweet 16. However, we've wasted a decade of our lives on subpar basketball and I think Clemson fans deserve better.

better make sure before you respect. this guy does not think more than half the country has any character or morals. hard to believe he even pulls for clemson. pretty sure i know who most of our coaches voted for.

Sounds political...I turn to sports to escape...

Mar 5, 2020, 8:08 AM

Political opinions. Whether or not his are horrible, we all love Clemson.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad... ]

I can't say you are wrong or anyone is wrong that wants him fired. I would think it was fair if he were fired. I am saying, although the minority, I think the next 2 or 3 years will be really solid.

Mar 5, 2020, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad... ]

deroberts...gave you a thumbs up anyway. Trying to get your pulse up to Clemson fan status. Why is your pulse at coot status? Are you a coot? Asking for a friend.

Mar 5, 2020, 9:12 AM

imagine my pulse is where it is because i actually call out people who talk sh it about clemson players and coaches. i imagine i was going to clemson games way before you were a glimmer in your daddies eye. and if you think i care what my pulse is i will just slap my knee.

Mar 5, 2020, 9:15 AM

Probably a coot. Way too low.

Mar 5, 2020, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad... ]

I don't know that his pulse has anything to do with which team he is a fan of. My pulse went from 100% to 67% with one post regarding Trapp. I don't post much and don't really understand the pulse ratings.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:25 AM [ in reply to You know I respect your opinion Carlsbad... ]

We wasted a decade by not investing in our program as he had to recruit around player facilities so bad he had to hide them from recruits. We are finally seeing the benefit of our investment and coaching stability but you want to start over with an unknown coach. Your dream of hiring a big name proven coach is a pipe dream as our AD will not go all in for basketball

I want a great up and coming coach with potential..

Mar 5, 2020, 8:31 AM

Not a washed up mediocre coach that has accomplished nothing in a decade. Brad Brownell would not be hired by ANY other major school in the nation if he wasn't at Clemson. If you think so then you are delusional.

Re: I want a great up and coming coach with potential..

Mar 5, 2020, 9:14 AM

I would go with a great recruiting assistant coach who is a protege of a great coach.

That works for me as well***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:39 AM

Mar 5, 2020, 8:10 AM

How is finishing in the middle of the ACC being subpar? You simply lack context and patience. Going in to this year most folks knew it would be a rebuilding year yet we finished 8th, beat three top five teams and beat the tar holes in CH. Most of our talent is returning next year plus three talented newcomers

LMAO...Waiting a decade is lacking patience?!

Mar 5, 2020, 8:17 AM

Yep - what a joke. Pathetic. ***

Mar 5, 2020, 10:57 AM

- H. L. Mencken

E-mail sent.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:59 AM

Hope the message gets through.

- H. L. Mencken

I sent mine last night***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:00 AM

Re: I sent mine last night***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:05 AM

By the way, I sent emails to Drad back to back years about 5 years ago. He responded one of the times. This current situation is different though.

Respect for you speaking out...

Mar 5, 2020, 9:06 AM

Hopefully he realizes this is 5 years too late coming.

I wrote D-Rad twice by snail mail.

Mar 5, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: I sent mine last night*** ]

He never responded. TDP responded to my letters. I have little respect for or confidence in Clemson's AD.

Re: I wrote D-Rad twice by snail mail.

Mar 5, 2020, 11:49 AM

Maybe base your opinion of him on what he's accomplished, not on whether or not he responded to you using the most inefficient, out-dated and archaic form of communication still in circulation?

You complaining on an internet message board about D-Rad not answering your snail mail is HILARIOUS to me.

Excellent Idea!

Mar 5, 2020, 9:08 AM

However, I truly believe the administration does not care about basketball. I am going to wait to see what happens after the end of thee season. A blind man can see that BB needs to go after last night.

Mar 5, 2020, 9:13 AM

BB is just OK

Reminds me of...

Mar 5, 2020, 9:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=225G9nLeOuc

I am just glad that we FINALLY beat UNC at Chapel Hill***

Mar 5, 2020, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: If you are tired of being subpar in basketball PLEASE... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic