Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Issues Statement Regarding Duke Baseball Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Apr 22, 2008, 3:26 PM

Davis Whitfield, Assistant Commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, has issued the following statement regarding Duke?s baseball game against Clemson on Sunday, April 20.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shocking***

Apr 22, 2008, 3:28 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Issues Statement Regarding Duke Baseball Game

Apr 22, 2008, 3:28 PM

surprise surprise

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, it is policy then

Apr 22, 2008, 3:31 PM

Not to cover the field at Duke.

That, evidently, is their policy.

My suggestion would be that we draft an inclement whether policy that would we can use to our advantage.

**** No edits were made to this post... I never mentioned "inclimate" weather as if it was a real thing *****

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and tell the umpire about the the warning 4 minutes after

Apr 22, 2008, 3:42 PM

receiving the warning, after a go-ahead homerun.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Hey Thom, just a friendly, unrelated reminder....

Apr 22, 2008, 3:56 PM [ in reply to So, it is policy then ]

Not trying to be jerk, but you once called me out for a 'misspelling' of the word 'you're'. Please re-read your post... pretty sure 'inclimate' is not a word. No big deal bud, just letting you know. Now back to sports. :)

It all depends on weather or not he used spell check

Apr 22, 2008, 3:59 PM

:)

You caught me

Apr 22, 2008, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Hey Thom, just a friendly, unrelated reminder.... ]

I may have done differently, but I usually only point out spelling mistakes when folks are either:
1) correcting other people
or
2) making comments about intelligence

But I was dead wrong on the word. Not sure why the heck I typed it like that... in fact I don't know what you are talking about I never typed inclimate ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey Thom, just a friendly, unrelated reminder....

Apr 23, 2008, 1:28 AM [ in reply to Hey Thom, just a friendly, unrelated reminder.... ]

My suggestion would be that we draft an inclement whether policy that would we can use to our advantage.

**** No edits were made to this post... I never mentioned "inclimate" weather as if it was a real thing *****

It actually looks like he typed it like that intentionally for effect. First sentence "inclement whether" and second one "inclimate" weather. Be sure to look at both words.

So Duke issued a statement defending coaches and

Apr 22, 2008, 3:38 PM

employees, the ACC issues a statement defending Duke and I catch total heck for suggesting that just maybe Terry Don might want to issue a statement defending our athletes and coaches. What did I get? a lesson in how Terry Don probably makes private phone calls and emails instead, and told to lighten up.

Well, I don't want to argue, but it sure would have been nice if Ole Clemson had a official voice, I mean statement out there.

Geez, thats how it works

Apr 22, 2008, 3:41 PM

1) There are reports and complaints about How Duke handled the end of the game.

2) Duke publicly defends themselves (because they have to) against the allegations

3) TDP and Clemson ask the ACC to look into it (behind the seens)

4) The ACC supports Duke (right or wrong, this has to be released publicly).

There is no room or call in the process for TDP or any other Clemson official to approach the press and complain. Its not the right time or place. Now, if there were scheduled press conferences for the coaches, I could see Jack mentioning it in that context, but there is no cause for TDP to go publicly with the gripe.

A public show of support for athletes and coaches would

Apr 22, 2008, 3:49 PM

have been nice.

yeah, sweep it under the rug just like all the other times

Apr 22, 2008, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Geez, thats how it works ]

we get screwed.

I didn't say that

Apr 22, 2008, 4:06 PM

But I would be curious as to what exact public statement you'd want TDP to make.

I don't have a statement drawn up

Apr 23, 2008, 8:12 AM

but it would have been nice to hear something... for all we know, he's in the bahamas right now while we're getting screwed.

and also, it's "behind the SCENES".... not seens***

Apr 23, 2008, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Geez, thats how it works ]

If any of you thought the response would be different

Apr 22, 2008, 3:40 PM

then you are INSANE!!!

Remember, one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If you really believed the ACC would come back with a response that would reflect neutrality and fairness, when they have never done this for a non Carolina school, then you belong in a padded cell.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately, Clemson waited around and didn't say

Apr 22, 2008, 3:47 PM

anything publicly. We now have statements issued by Duke and the ACC. Their statements seem to put to rest that we were slighted in any way. If there is another version of what happened Sunday, the public doesn't know it because of silence on our part. Based on that silence, it appears we, the Clemson fans, were foolish to have been upset about the scenario at all.

This is why it would have been nice for our players, coaches and fans if Terry Don had issued a statement. Maybe he didn't issue one because we were flat out wrong, who knows.

Write the statement.

Apr 22, 2008, 3:51 PM

I'm curious as to what you think TDP should have written and released as the official position of Clemson University.

null

He didn't say anything because he is afraid to.***

Apr 22, 2008, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately, Clemson waited around and didn't say ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay, you too. Write it up like TDP should have. ******

Apr 22, 2008, 4:33 PM

null

Fire Swoffy!***

Apr 22, 2008, 3:40 PM

ACC Issues Statement : blah, blah, blah***

Apr 22, 2008, 3:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

When there's a decision to be made between the

Apr 22, 2008, 3:45 PM

North Carolina schools and the rest of the ACC, the decision will always favor the tarheel state. Count on it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke's protocol? Shouldn't it be easily verifiable

to see if that's followed typically when lightning storms have approached Duke's field in the past?

Did their staff tarp the field prior to the storm reaching the 10 mile limit and then wait it out?

How does that protocol differ from the other ACC team's policy?

Re: Duke's protocol? Shouldn't it be easily verifiable

Apr 22, 2008, 4:07 PM

The ACC and Duke should at least acknowledge they blew it by letting the grounds crew takeoff. Unbelievable.

Remember the ACC didn't even condemn the Duke timekeeper...

...or the officials for the travesty in Cameron last year. They just said that "mistakes were made."

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

would imagine those folks got bonuses for that

Apr 22, 2008, 4:03 PM

Duke's timing problems continued this year. Not as glaring an error as against us but there were several times their clock operations cause stoppages in play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2008, 4:00 PM

When are we going to quit being Mr. Nice Guy and Mr. Sportmanship? There should be a raver when it comes to Duke...the reason we get treated this way is because we allow it...I would like for the ACC to do an indepth investigation into this matter...mainly because of the grounds keepers going home. I think tht tarp could have been ready to go on as soon as Kyle was crossing the plate....4 minutes is a lot of time if you have help and I am sure we would have been able to accomodate them....lessons learned...If you ever attend another away baseball game and they do not have adequate lightning warnings, wear old clothes and be ready to jump in....I would.

Apr 22, 2008, 4:00 PM

Absolute garbage.

BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS***

Apr 22, 2008, 4:04 PM

Apr 22, 2008, 4:09 PM

Eff Davis Whitfield and Sean McNally and the rest of them North Carolina SOB's in the ACC office.

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

so text messages are official forms of safety communication?

Apr 22, 2008, 4:15 PM

what a crock of shiot.

Photobucket

They are at Clemson.***

Apr 22, 2008, 5:55 PM

and this crap will continue to happen to us

Apr 22, 2008, 4:17 PM

TERRY!!!! Get on the phone with FSU and the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is a bunch of b.s. ......***

Apr 22, 2008, 4:20 PM

This is such BULLSH!T. I hate being in the ACC***

Apr 22, 2008, 4:58 PM

they should have at least put the d@mn tarp on the field!***

Apr 22, 2008, 5:01 PM

Get us out of the Anti-Clemson-Conference!!!***

Apr 22, 2008, 5:12 PM

Much ado about nothing.***

Apr 22, 2008, 6:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Much ado about nothing.***

Apr 22, 2008, 8:46 PM

Amen! Big Whoop! If we were battling for an ACC championship I might could get a little excited about this.

I am sure the 25 or so kids battling to make the tournament

Apr 22, 2008, 8:49 PM

care about it...if they don't, no need to finish out the season...

Apr 22, 2008, 10:09 PM

Questions about policy:
1. How long does it take lightning to travel 10 miles? If a tarp can't be put on the field in that amount of time, perhaps they need a 15-mile rule.
2. If you are relying on a text message for notification and you have to "confirm" it like the statement said, wouldn't safety be enhanced by using a more reliable source to keep the players out of harm's way?

Not very long. Lightning can strike miles ahead of the main

Apr 22, 2008, 10:38 PM

storm with no warning whatsoever. And when this occurs the strikes are often extremely powerful.

Seriously... you guys are really over-reacting to this crap. Its Duke baseball... do you think they really care enough to set up an elaborate screw-job scheme just in case this exact scenario occurs at some point?!?

Apr 22, 2008, 11:32 PM

I thought Krychi only coached B-ball, now it is hardball and football too.

Good gracious, when is the ACC going to drop this weak ### school from the conference. Jeeze Furman will offer more over all competition that the blue balls.

I hope that TB allows a major destruction of this school the next time we play. Too bad we don't have a rapeby, I mean rugby team. Say do those accused players play baseball too.

contradictory story from the GoDuke.com website:

Apr 23, 2008, 12:50 AM

"After a scoreless 10th inning, Clemson (19-20-1, 7-13-1 ACC) jumped ahead in the 11th on a two-run home run by Kyle Parker. The two-run bomb was quickly followed by a bolt of lightning from an impending thunderstorm, causing a minimum delay of 30 minutes. Near the end of the delay, rain and hail set in and rendered the field condition unplayable."

This coming from the Duke website, chances are it is heavily biased. I have faith that Dan Scott posted a much more accurate interptretation of the game based on his own reputation and also suspicious athletic "happenings" from recent years concerning Duke officials.

Do most lightning delays in Durham result in an unplayable field surface? If this procedure is normal, are April ball games frequently called instead of postponed due to inclement weather?

Apr 23, 2008, 8:00 AM

Seems like everyone in the ACC office is from North Carolina...specifically from Chapel Hill. I guess the Tobacco Road ties run deep. Until Clemson gets some representation in the ACC office, we'll keep experiencing similar actions with the ACC doing nothing about it. Duke and the other Tobacco Road schools know that they can pull this kindof crap without any recourse whatsoever.

OK, They really need to admit they were wrong....

Apr 23, 2008, 11:13 AM

I don't really care about anything else that happened that day, but the grounds crew being absent is completely rediculous they knew all day and weekend that storms were possible for the series play. From what people were saying that were at the game, lightning was not seen and thunder was not heard before or for some time after they delayed the game. There "WAS"!! time to roll out the tarps had the grounds crew been present. Duke needs to apologize and just say it was a mistake, was not intentional, and all will be well. Yes, we will still be bitter, but covering it up and not admitting they were wrong is just plain rude and I hope this bites them in the a$$ and we beat them as badly as possible in the football game this year. I want them to be soo embarrassed that they will cringe every time they play us in any sport from now on. I would love to put up 100 pts on them or close too it. TB needs to consider running up the score a little more on weak teams anyway if we are pushing for a BCS game this year and it looks good for ranking also. The End. Go Tigers!

Re: This type of statement sounds alot like

Apr 23, 2008, 11:55 AM

some of the political rhetoric BS I've been hearing out some of the presidential candidates mouths... spinning information to paint a certain picture, trying to justify bad decisions & relationships with a very loose interpretation of right vs. wrong.

I just hope Coach Leggett and our team don't dwell on this shameful display and win enough games to get them into the ACC tourney. Karma has a funny way of biting people in the rear-end, and I think Duke has got something coming to them...

Re: One last thing...

Apr 23, 2008, 12:01 PM

"No one wanted to finish the game more than I did" - Coach McNally

How could this guy possibly feel good about making a statement like that? That line is the worst in the entire statement!

He's right: He sure finished that game...

Apr 23, 2008, 12:02 PM

...when he was done there was no game to be played.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2008, 9:45 PM

Just a bolt from the blue!

Sounds more like politics than sports.

More dook than integrity.

CUTBA-MD

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic