Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
so I waited till all the bs settled to post this. just my $.02
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

so I waited till all the bs settled to post this. just my $.02

Sep 2, 2018, 10:11 PM

KB=TL=KB=TL

Little different styles, very similar results.

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: so I waited till all the bs settled to post this. just my $.02

Sep 2, 2018, 10:22 PM

No

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2018, 10:32 PM

Oh, but yes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2018, 10:37 PM

and here comes 78 with stats in 3-2-1

Sep 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

Ummm, still waiting for those stats....

Sep 4, 2018, 7:13 AM

The most telling stat was posted in a different thread. With TL in the game, the RBs averaged over 15 yards a carry. With KB in the game, less than 5 ypc.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did they have very similar results.

Sep 2, 2018, 10:50 PM

One was the QB when we scored 31 points, and the other was the QB when we scored 17 points.

One consistently moved the ball down the field, and the other did not.

How is that “very similar?”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

TL has more upside, no doubt

Sep 2, 2018, 10:54 PM

and he may take a huge leap forward sooner rather than later, but both had some issues and both made incredible plays. That includes deep balls.

Dude

Sep 3, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to How did they have very similar results. ]

TL had a short field on how many drives?
TL's drives were later in the game when Furman's players were work out and our 2nd and 3rd string was fresh.

Your arguments are weak.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you like Trevor's drives were better overall

Sep 3, 2018, 9:04 AM

I'm a fan of both, but

Kelly's drives were

1st Q
11 plays, 34 yards, turnover on downs with an incomplete pass
4 plays,57 yards and a TD
4 plays, 2 yards and a FG

3rd Q
9 plays, 56 yards, turnover on downs with a pass short of the marker
4 plays, 79 yards and a TD

Trevor's drives were

2nd Q
9 plays, 30 yards and a FG
11 plays, 95 yards and a TD
5 plays, 38 yards and a TD

3rd Q
3 plays, 99 yards and a TD
2 plays, 12 yards ad a TD

I don't think its completely accurate to say that Trevor went against significantly more wore down defenses in the 2nd Q or the second half of the 3rd Q

Re: No matter who you like Trevor's drives were better overall

Sep 3, 2018, 11:40 PM

a little more detail on KB's passing on his 1st 3 drives, TL took over may be able to watch the game and update his passes.

1st & 10 at CLEM 25?(15:00 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass incomplete to #13, short of receiver by 5 yards
3rd & 6 at CLEM 29?(15:00 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass complete to #5 for 8 yds to the Clem 37 for a 1ST down, pass was short and low. Nice catch by #5
2nd & 1 at CLEM 46?(15:00 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass incomplete to #5, long pass overthrown by 5+ yards.
2nd & 5 at FUR 44?(11:41 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass complete to #13 for no gain to the Furm 44, bubble screen, late throw.
3rd & 5 at FUR 44?(11:41 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass incomplete, 5 yard crossing route to #17. Pass short in dirt.
4th & 5 at FUR 44?(11:41 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass incomplete to #13
1st drive KB 3/7 over on downs
0-10 yards: 3/6
10+ yards: 0/1

1st & 10 at CLEM 43?(9:09 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass complete to #17 for 4 yds to the Clem 47, Bubble screen
2nd & 6 at CLEM 47?(9:09 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass complete to #5 for 8 yds to the Furm 45 for a 1ST down, 7 yard out
2nd & 5 at FUR 40?(7:50 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass complete to #3 for 40 yds for a TD, (Greg Huegel KICK)/ Nice pass in stride.

2d drive KB 3/3 TD
0-10 yards: 2/2
10+ yards: 1/1

3rd & 8 at FUR 18?(3:59 - 1st) Kelly Bryant pass incomplete to #18, broken up by Elijah McKoy. Forced throw into coverage,
3d drive KB 0/1 FG
0-10 yards: 0/1
10+ yards: 0/0

Dude

Sep 3, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Dude ]

Your arguments are weaker.

Lawrence had the better performance, no matter how you slice it. Bryant played well, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: How did they have very similar results.

Sep 3, 2018, 8:50 AM [ in reply to How did they have very similar results. ]

KB had more yards. The rest of the O played better with TL but it's hard to determine which QB was better. Play calling can he more difficult early in the game because you have to get a feel for it. Both played good but not great. TL has zip on the ball but made some questionable throws as did KB. Both need to improve at A&M but KB hit some deep balls and got the O going. TL looked really good at times but also had some freshman mistakes. They did have very similar results as individuals.

Sep 3, 2018, 9:18 AM

Good post but you said it yourself: The rest of the O played better when TL was in the field. The bottom line for me is very simple and that is if you load the box against TL you will get burned time and time again. A lot of teams loaded the box against Kelly last year and had success. When TL is on the field the offense can open up. The most telling stat line from Saturday was how many yards the RBs had when TL was in. Early observations and just my opinion. We will see what happens in a hostile environment next week. One week at a time right now. Although I like KB and really appreciate him I think it’s only a matter of time before TL becomes our primary QB.

Fair enough +1 I agree this week will provide a better

Sep 3, 2018, 11:14 AM

opportunity for one to separate. I will say, though, KB last year is not KB this year. I do think TL has more upside, but he needs more experience before he really takes off.

Saturday will tell a lot.

Sep 4, 2018, 1:09 AM [ in reply to Re: How did they have very similar results. ]

Similar: both had 5 possessions. One took us to points all 5 times, 31 points; the other 3 times, 17 points.

Similar: number of snaps, yards and avg YPP. TL had 29 for 267 yards for avg of 9.2. KB had 32 snaps for 225 yards for avg 7.0.

Similar: Neither committed a turnover, nor suffered a missed field goal to make their work appear less efficient than it really was.

Similar completion pctg.: TL 9-14 for 64% for137, KB 10-16 for 62.5% for 127 (espn miscounted TL's incompletions due to the overturned call).

Similar: both had room for improvement, and both statistically benefitted from big plays.

If you really believe those numbers are Similar, take your blinders off before the next paragraph.

Differences: one can get a #### of a lot better, the other only a little bit. You tell me which is which.

Also, one QB was 2-6 on 3rd down, and 1-3 on 4th down. In other words, if the big play wasn't there, we failed to sustain drives. The other QB was 3-4 on 3rd down with no 4th downs (disregard espn stat screwup).

If those numbers continue to play out all season, who is your starter?

Sep 4, 2018, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Re: How did they have very similar results. ]

Hate to argue here but the only questionable ball in this game was the one Kelly threw that should have been a pick. Now they both had a couple that weren’t where they wanted it. Trevor also threw the ball too tee with a little too much on it but I saw no questionable balls.

Sep 4, 2018, 7:29 AM [ in reply to Re: How did they have very similar results. ]

Ok, so wait, you'd rather have more yards than more points? Can't make up this stupidity. Hey, armsb, here's your stats...via ESPN.

That's what we call similar?

Sep 3, 2018, 11:10 AM

KB is at the top of his potential (senior), TL is just starting (true freshman)....

Still think TL has more upside, KB better game management and ground game...

If you watch the game again, TL had some drops, some pressed passes early in his time, he settled. KB doesn't look any better than in the spring game, he dropped one to Amari and missed badly on 4-5 other passes... still no accuracy beyond 10 yards.../little

Formulaic approach

Sep 3, 2018, 11:39 AM

2KB=2TL...too...or two...2?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

will be big difference under the gun***

Sep 3, 2018, 11:46 AM

With all respect to your Legend status

Sep 4, 2018, 12:24 AM

A few similarities and differences …

- Both QB's started shaky then looked good in exhibition game win vs. Furman,

- Both QB's respect each other as Tigers and team mates,

- One QB is a true frosh and one is a senior,

- The frosh QB is splitting time with a four year guy and had two 90-yard drives,

- One QB has an above average arm and one has an NFL top-10 draft pick arm,

- Clemson played Furman who has few to no FBS-level athletes so little was learned, and

- Both QB's will be tested this week in College Station against confident FBS athletes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2018, 3:59 AM

I don't agree with you.

It was TL's FIRST game and he already looked on par with KB and as others said seemed to run the offense better or with more command. Also you know he had some butterflies in his stomach that won't ever be as bad in the average games now that he has played his first game.

TL also has a much cleaner, tighter and faster throw which will be extremely beneficial once our receivers are fully synced up with it and ready for balls coming in that fast. He does need to work on getting his long balls a bit more air though (that or recruit Usain Bolt for WR).

He also has the better physical stature for QB, being so tall gives him amazing vision of the field and easier looks above the lines as he makes his rotations. Surprisingly, his 40 time is faster than KB's listed time as well, although granted KB is the better running QB (this is where being so tall doesn't help).

That being said, I like KB a lot and feel kind of bad for him because he so clearly wants to be a QB but doesn't seem like he would ever get drafted in the NFL as a QB and I wish they could play him in a role that might get him picked up by an NFL team.

I would have to say though KB's biggest weakness is his awkward 'clumsy' factor that randomly engages and can make him a bit of a streaky player. It's hard to explain exactly, but Lamar Jackson has the same issue as did Shaq in basketball. It's as if their body isn't in sync with what their brain is trying to tell it to do sometimes and they seem to always have the potential to suddenly get 'goofy' slipping and tripping on the turf, bobbling balls and such. So KB can go from making perfect throws and having amazing runs to suddenly slipping, fumbling and playing awkwardly which frequently killed our drives last year.

Either way, I like both of them and think it will be extremely difficult for opposing teams to prep for us (LOL almost feel bad for them) given the fact that we now have two strong options to play QB and run the offense in different ways and could go with a dual QB system for certain difficult games.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic