Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GREAT CLEMSON TRADITION LOST TO 60'S HIPPIES
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

GREAT CLEMSON TRADITION LOST TO 60'S HIPPIES

Sep 29, 2012, 9:58 AM

IN THE MIDDLE OF AUGUST OF 1968, MY PARENTS WERE TAKING ME AND EVERYTHING I OWNED 4 HOURS AWAY TO CLEMSON. AS SOON AS WE PARKED ON THE LOGIA AT THE TIN CANS, 2 UPPER CLASS MEN APPROACHED ME AND SAID I HAD TO PAY .50 FOR A RAT HAIRCUT TICKET. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH,SO I PAID THEM RIGHT AWAY.
AFTER WE LUGGED ALL MY JUNK UP 3 FLOORS TO B901, I GOT MY HAIRCUT,WHICH WAS A RAZER CUT WITH NO GUARD.I WAS THEN INSTRUCTED TO GO DOWN TOWN TO JUDGE KELLER'S AND BUY AN ORANGE BEANIE THAT COST $1.I WAS NOW OFFICIALLY A CLEMSON RAT, AND WAS AT THE DISPOSAL OF ALL UPPER CLASS MEN.
IF AN UPPER CLASS MAN WANTED A BURGER FROM DAN'S , HE'D HOLLER FOR A RAT TO GO GET IT FOR HIM.IF A STUDENT WANTED HIS ROOM SWEPT,HE'D CALL A RAT.ANY SMALL JOB OR ERRAND AN UPPER CLASS MAN DIDN'T WANT TO DO HIMSELF, HE'D SHOUT OUT FOR A RAT.
WE HAD TO WEAR OUR CAPS AT ALL TIMES,BUT WE HAD TO REMOVE THEM IF WE WERE IN A BUILDING.ALL RATS BECAME A VERY CLOSE KNIT GROUP,AND WE LOOKED OUT FOR EACH OTHER.I MADE MANY FRIENDS DURING THE 6 WEEKS WE WERE FRESHMAN RATS.
BUT, MUCH TO MY SURPRISE,THERE WERE SOME UPPER CLASS HIPPIES WHO FELT THAT THE RAT SYSTEM WAS BEING FORCED UPON US BY THE UNIVERSITY, AND THESE DERN LIBERALS BEGAN FIGHTING WITH THE ADMINISTRATION TO ELIMINATE THE CLEMSON RAT SYSTEM ENTIRELY.
MUCH TO MY DISAPPOINTMENT AND SADNESS,HIPPY LIBERALS HAD ELIMINATED ONE OF THE BEST AND LONGEST RUNNING TRADITIONS CLEMSON EVER HAD. I CAN'T SAY THIS FOR CERTAIN, BUT IT WAS SAID OFTEN THAT A STUDENT BY THE NAME OF #### HARPOOTLIAN WAS THE LEADER OF THE GROUP THAT FORCED THE ADMINISTRATION TO ABOLISH THE RAT SYSTEM. YOU SEE,#### IS SUCH A RADICAL LIBERAL, HE IS THE HEAD OF SOUTH CAROLINA'S DEMOCRAT PARTY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CLEMSAM

Loud noises!!!!!!***

Sep 29, 2012, 9:59 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One minute, while i take my hearing-aid out...***

Sep 29, 2012, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One minute, while i take my hearing-aid out...***

Sep 30, 2012, 10:48 PM

I bet your grandfather complained about the stinking liberals ending slavery too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dude.

Sep 29, 2012, 10:12 AM

unreadable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: dude.

Sep 29, 2012, 11:23 AM

YEA,UNREASONABLE. I FIND LIBERALS AND OBAMA UNREASONABLE. DO YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING THIS MARXIST SAYS?

CLEMSAM

Why the #### are you calling me a liberal

Sep 30, 2012, 11:45 AM

and what the #### does that have to do with your caps lock being broken.

Turn it off and FYI the last people I voted for have been 2004 GWB, 2008 Ron Paul, and this year I will also vote Ron Paul. Liberal?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why the #### are you calling me a liberal

Sep 30, 2012, 6:25 PM

If you voted for and will vote again for Ron Paul,
you are a liberal by default.A vote for Paul is
a vote for Obama.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why the #### are you calling me a liberal

Sep 30, 2012, 10:33 PM

Yea you're an idiot. A vote for Paul is a vote for true conservatism and liberty and economic stability.

Romney will not beat Obama. Y'all failed miserably. Blame your selves if Obama gets for more years. That's what you'll get if either won anyway.

I'm voting in South Carolina. This is a red state.

Oct 1, 2012, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Why the #### are you calling me a liberal ]

Doesn't really matter.

maybe the neighbor has a barking dog****

Sep 29, 2012, 10:22 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maybe the neighbor has a barking dog****

Sep 29, 2012, 10:28 AM

Why are you yelling at us?

I CAN SEE AFTER ALL THAT TIME, YOU ARE STILL MAD

Sep 29, 2012, 10:29 AM

I SURE HOPE THAT I NEVER MAKE YOU MAD. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO IF YOU HELD A FOURTY YEAR PLUS GRUDGE ON ME!!! CAN I STOP YELLING YET????

Re: I CAN SEE AFTER ALL THAT TIME, YOU ARE STILL MAD

Sep 29, 2012, 11:21 AM

JUMA YOU JERK

CLEMSAM

Re: GREAT CLEMSON TRADITION LOST TO 60'S HIPPIES

Sep 29, 2012, 10:35 AM

I would have helped Harpootlian but I was too busy in Chicago in August, 1968. Made it back to start my senior year a little late that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2012, 11:30 AM

JUST ANOTHER OBAMA VOTER WE WILL CANCEL.DO YOU REALLY LIKE HAVING WHAT YOU EARNED TAKEN AWAY AND GIVEN TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES?

CLEMSAM

Sep 29, 2012, 10:40 AM

I graduated that fall. That ticks me off too and I don't live in S.C.

Sep 29, 2012, 10:51 AM

Maybe maintaining that system kept
The Citadel and VMI to outpace us so much.

If you liked the military traditions so much, why were you

Sep 29, 2012, 11:02 AM

at Clemson and not in Viet Nam fighting the 'Communists'? I'm sure they would have given you a helmet instead of a rat hat. "Scared to death" might have been an understatement. Yeah, those "dern" hippies.

Re: If you liked the military traditions so much, why were you

Sep 29, 2012, 11:27 AM

I DID SERVE IN THE MILITARY YOU LIBERAL JERK. HOW ABOUT YOU? YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A LEACH ON SOCIETY AND ANOTHER OBAMA VOTER WE WILL CANCEL.

CLEMSAM

ALL THIS TYPING FOR naught!!***

Sep 29, 2012, 11:06 AM

And how many students would Clemson have today

Sep 29, 2012, 11:06 AM

if that tradition was still in place?

I can bet your ###; I wouldn't have attended Clemson from 77-82.

Oh, and by the way, I would challenge you that my Clemson experience (just as today's students) was more rewarding than yours.

Re: And how many students would Clemson have today

Sep 29, 2012, 11:19 AM

THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA YOU JERK. WORTHLESS LIBERALS LIKE YOURSELF WOULD HAVE GONE TO COLUMBIA. HA! HA!

CLEMSAM

Sigh***

Sep 29, 2012, 11:30 AM

YOURSELF ISN'T THE PROPER WORD TO USE HERE***

Sep 29, 2012, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: And how many students would Clemson have today ]

Re: And how many students would Clemson have today

Sep 29, 2012, 1:47 PM [ in reply to And how many students would Clemson have today ]

I think the Harpootlian angle is completely false. Harpootlian was a member of student government, eventually elected President of the student body (I think)but I'm sure he had almost nothing to do with the end of rat season.

I too enrolled in the fall of 1968. I got my hair cut and I was a rat. I knew a few kids , mostly from up north who said, "No thanks," I'm not doing that and nothing happened to them. In '69 hundreds of freshman didn't participate. I '70, as far as I know, no one did.

I was southern, conservative, ROTC and all that as were my friends. I recall pretty much all of us walking away from Rat Season without a lot of tears. What I recall from my Freshman year is that the upper classmen most enthusiastic about rat cuts, Dan's Duty and all that were weirdos.

That's what I think I remember. It was a long time ago. I could be wrong. One thing I'm sure of is that my friends from CU from the classes in the early and mid 70s did not go through Rat Season and are still solid Tigers.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Harley,

Sep 30, 2012, 9:32 AM

As always, I appreciate your level headed response.

You (and others) have been sorely missed around these parts.

Great to hear from you!

Sincerely

TigerSam, you have obviously posted this to start an

Sep 29, 2012, 11:42 AM

argument. So I'll bite.

It's called PROGRESSION! That "rat" system you talk about was a joke! I'm glad that intelligent people worked to get rid of it so I could enjoy my time at Clemson as will my future kids.

But keep shaking your walking cane at everyone and the rest of us will move forward.

I bet you are the old fart that tells me to sit down on 3rd downs on defense!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just say you're glad it's gone - that's fine but don't......

Sep 29, 2012, 11:46 AM

call it a joke - I know plenty of guys who went through the Rat system and none of them have ever said they would have wanted to do away with it. Don't put them down for it.

It was a JOKE!

Sep 29, 2012, 11:53 AM

They liked it because they got out of it and didn't know different...kinda like this guy.

Doesn't make it right.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you go through the Rat System? Do you even....

Sep 29, 2012, 12:06 PM

know what the #### you're talking about? Obviously not.

Re: Did you go through the Rat System? Do you even....

Sep 30, 2012, 10:39 AM

I beg to differ. I posted an article remembering my days at Clemson as a Rat, and you spew anger and sarcasm like this. What type of person are you? You seem angry at the world. I describe my experiences in 1968 as a Rat, but you insinuate that I'm not telling the truth.You have it backwards. I have doubts you even were a student at Clemson if you think I'm wrong. Do some research and educate yourself before you spew pablum my way. You have to be a Liberal.

CLEMSAM

Good point. Clemson isn't the Citadel.***

Sep 30, 2012, 12:08 PM [ in reply to TigerSam, you have obviously posted this to start an ]

Sep 29, 2012, 11:53 AM

Holy freakin' coincidence - I was in B901 in '68-'69. My roommate was Mike though - so you must have been there at a different time.

Gotta agree on the Rat season though. I still have my Rat Hat. Special time. But you were supposed to shake the cans all the way back from Dan's. :)

I started in August, 1968 too and................

Sep 29, 2012, 11:56 AM

I appreciate your post and the great memories of rat season. That was a wonderful tradition but sadly would not survive in today's world. I remember having to make a 10:30 pm "run" to Dan's (now T'D's) for some upperclassmen for a "pine float" , which was a cup of water w/a toothpick in it! Anyway, you are correct about Harpootlian or whatever his name is....remember him being a real trouble maker.

if ignorance is bliss....***

Sep 29, 2012, 12:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2012, 1:01 PM

If you wanna getteated crappy by people with no authority to do so for a semester, just join a frat.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

I refuse to believe somebody with a Clemson education

Sep 29, 2012, 1:17 PM

would type that much bullshit in all caps and lack of punctuation.

Moron.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Dad? Your medicine is on your nightstand, please take it.***

Sep 29, 2012, 1:27 PM

Re: Dad? Your medicine is on your nightstand, please take it.***

Sep 30, 2012, 10:23 AM

That is hilarious. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Hee-hee! Too close to truth around here.***

Sep 30, 2012, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Dad? Your medicine is on your nightstand, please take it.*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It must be interweb morning at the old folks home

Sep 30, 2012, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Dad? Your medicine is on your nightstand, please take it.*** ]

I would live a pretty boring life if I hated everyone who held opposing political views. As it is I have friends and family that span from the far right to the far left. I find that to be far more interesting. Also, if you want to be treated like dirt, you could always join a frat. Heck they might even make you butt chug.

Congratulations...

Sep 29, 2012, 2:22 PM

You're the winner of the "Clint Eastwood crotchety old man of the day" award!

Actually, no less a personna than R. C. Edwards himself

Sep 30, 2012, 9:52 AM

admitted that the Rat System would have to fall by the wayside for Clemson to become a more cosmopolitan university. He admitted that it was a holdover from the old military college days, which image Clemson was slowly shedding. Additionally, there was an increasing chorus of the staff and faculty calling for its demise, as well as a large percentage of the coeds opposed to it. Even Walter Cox commented on occasion that it was doomed. My general belief was that President Edwards bided his time and allowed the students themselves to prompt the system's demise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, but you got women now.***

Sep 30, 2012, 9:54 AM

Yeah, Clemson was "Berkely East" in the 60's--

Sep 30, 2012, 10:00 AM

It was hard to walk across Bowman Field on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons in those days because of all the SDS protestors marching around in uniforms.

Black Panther rallies on the Quad were particularly noisome and frequently disturbed "Flower Power Be-Ins" staged regularly on Riggs.

And, of course, there was massive participation in communal living at the newly established Y Beach Rec area.

Clemson University was indeed the "eye" of the hurricane of student protests in the turbulent '60's

......:~)

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

Sep 30, 2012, 10:41 PM

funny stuff

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hippy and democrat

Sep 30, 2012, 10:21 AM

I was at Clemsom when you were.

I was a hippy and i am now a democrat and proud of both.

Don't step on the grass, Sam...

Sep 30, 2012, 10:29 AM

...for those who were around back then and know what the heck I'm talking about.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't step on the grass, Sam...

Sep 30, 2012, 11:12 AM

Nice Steppenwolf reference, point for you, sir!

Sep 30, 2012, 11:35 AM

Sorry, thought it was a dumb idea when my brother had to go through it and was glad I didn't have to.

I LOVE THIS POST.....

Sep 30, 2012, 12:04 PM

U R UPSET BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T GET THE CHANCE TO RECIPROCATE ON INCOMING FRESHMEN HIPPIES !!!

I TOO I'M HARD OF HEARING !!!

B901 ???

You sound like a cuckold.

Sep 30, 2012, 6:50 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are remembering those day better than they actually were. If they were that great...why didnt you continue to be everyones ##### even after it was ended? And no offense to homo's...but cutting your hair and dressing you....and having you clean and get food for them....sounds a little homoerotic to me. I'm disappointed in you that you would wish this on your own sons. You said it helped you make friends? Whats wrong with making friends the same way the rest of society does?

Caps button on left. Please use. Maybe I'll read it.***

Sep 30, 2012, 10:27 PM

Uh oh!!!!

Oct 1, 2012, 6:39 PM

lolol...a "radical liberal".....rofl! You forgot to mention President Obama. I'm sure that must've been an oversight.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic