Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't remember seeing Tre Lamar much Sat ... Injury ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,846

Don't remember seeing Tre Lamar much Sat ... Injury ?

Oct 22, 2018, 3:39 PM

Axing for Deondre Francois

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't remember seeing Tre Lamar much Sat ... Injury ?

Oct 22, 2018, 3:41 PM

was in on first down. on second and third they used a package of linebackers that was better against the pass. Tre is a beast against the run, not so much against the pass when you are running a tampa 2 defensive scheme.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jalen Williams played for pass coverage

Oct 22, 2018, 3:43 PM

Tre Lamar played on first downs, but they pulled him on second/third and long situations for help in pass coverage. Given Jalen's interception deep over the middle, I'd say that Venables played it just right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Jalen Williams played for pass coverage

Oct 22, 2018, 3:47 PM

Which is crazy. Jalen used to get burned in the passing game. Go back and watch the VT ACC championship game 2 years ago. Jalen was a huge reason VT was still in that game. I believe get got burned several times VS FSU in 2016 as well. He and Nolan Turner have come a long ways

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He KNEW that pass was going to his man

Oct 22, 2018, 3:51 PM

just based on the matchup. I could almost tell he was thinking "okay I'm LB with a history of being picked on in the passing game, I'm chasing a WR that's got 1 step on me, and their QB is smart with his reads. This ball is gonna be thrown my way"

That's where experience can make up for a lot of physical tools that he might lack in pass coverage.

Re: Jalen Williams played for pass coverage

Oct 22, 2018, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Jalen Williams played for pass coverage ]

I think it's a bit different when he's playing in the middle taking over for Tre Lamar vs. on the outside when he's playing SLB (as a backup for Dorian or Simmons). However, I agree that he has certainly improved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Oct 22, 2018, 3:55 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Didn't see him much. Hopefully he makes a big impact vs. FSU.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 4:26 PM

Already been said, but Lamar was a bad matchup for what State was doing. He'll play a larger role this weekend with Akers at RB. Fla St will be a different animal from what we're used to seeing out of them with Jimbo. Tigers will be able to pressure with the DL, their OL is abysmal. I remember the last time tigers was in Tallahassee and Francois took a beating. He is in for the same treatment this go around!

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,846
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic