Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't make rape jokes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 649

Don't make rape jokes

Feb 26, 2019, 9:04 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't make rape jokes

Feb 26, 2019, 9:13 AM

That was creative. I was golfing at Kiawah maybe 10 years ago and my caddie threw out a rape joke that kind of surprised me. He gave me the read and I blasted my putt right through the break. He said, "Wow, you have the touch of a rapist!" I was pretty surprised. I chuckled anyway. I wonder how long he went with that before a customer complained.

People are sensitive to many different things.

Feb 26, 2019, 9:42 AM

It's pretty obvious but you never know what lights someone's fuse. It's much worse now than ever before. At one time we had a saying 'Mixed company,' which was also called 'polite company.' That referred to females of all ages and boys up to a certain age.

Those social norms were destroyed in the last 50 or so years and society is now a real mess. You folks wouldn't believe how simple social behavior was when I was growing up. Men didn't complain when someone hurt their feelings. Triggers are everywhere now and people overreact to things which shouldn't cause them such stress. No one knows that another's sister drown last week when they make a joke about drowning but that causes a chitstorm if you make one in the wrong company.

At one time women were never subjected to gauche' jokes. That ship sailed with the women's lib movement. Men, young men in particular, those of generations other than mine are more than willing to hand our rough social manners to someone who doesn't behave herself like a lady.

My contention is that you asked for it, if you want to be dealt with social order then show that you're above the fray by acting like a lady. My ex was a ##### from hell but she always conducted herself like a lady in mixed company. Therefor, men behaved like gentlemen when she was present.

People are just too sensitive for the time we live in now and it's become some kind of a social rule which I ignore because I always act like a gentleman in polite company. I have a lot of love for this forum and particularly this board but I can't say I consider this place polite company. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People are sensitive to many different things.

Feb 26, 2019, 9:47 AM

I agree.

I think it was primarily because even a few decades back

Feb 26, 2019, 11:55 AM [ in reply to People are sensitive to many different things. ]

there was a crp ton more stuff to be genuinely worried about. Such as:

Cold War going hot.
Kids getting polio.
Aids
Vietnam
Civil Rights
Etc.

I mean, when there is a credible chance that a nuke will fall on you and yours,it is harder to get worked up over douchebro behavior.

Re: I think it was primarily because even a few decades back

Feb 26, 2019, 12:03 PM

Now we have to worry about white privilege to worry about. Luckily there are conferences to battles such a major worry.

https://www.whiteprivilegeconference.com/

Is this a confernce about how to build upon it?

Mar 1, 2019, 10:40 AM

;)

this is a truly strange time in society.....

Feb 26, 2019, 12:29 PM [ in reply to People are sensitive to many different things. ]

where one mismanaged phrase (ex. Roseanne Barr) or one "you can't say that word" word said by the wrong person can get yourself fired and immediately shunned by society.

Yet, look around. There is more vile, uncouth content in everyday language and media than ever before. The F Bomb doesn't even raise an eyebrow any more.

It's very confusing out there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i know people that said that playing soccer

Feb 26, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't make rape jokes ]

Someone has the gentle first touch of a .....

So it is necessary to * the a in r*ape

Feb 26, 2019, 12:43 PM

but posting fuck and fucking is ok?

Got it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Replies: 9
| visibility 649
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic