Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don’t lock yourself into a TV contract
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Don’t lock yourself into a TV contract

Feb 26, 2019, 11:18 AM

For those of you who are still customers of the traditional cable and satellite company offerings, try to keep you options open as we head into the Spring and Summer in case your provider does not pick up the ACC Network. We need as many fans of ACC schools as possible to put pressure on providers to carry and be willing to walk if necessary.

Of course if you’re already with over-the-top offerings like YouTubeTV, Sling, PlayStation Vue and Hulu (with live TV) it will be easy to switch with no early termination fee just in case they don’t carry ACCN.

So far, looks like ESPN has carriage contracts with Verizon Fios and Altice (mostly NY I think) to carry ACCN.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cut my cable yesterday. I added an IPTV provider which is

Feb 26, 2019, 11:25 AM

working out just fine. However one of my TV's is running off the wireless Firestick and just is too far from my router. I believe once I get a range extender or powerline adapter I should be able to watch as I always have.

I also have the Prime Video and Netflix(though they just raised the price).

If I can't access the ACCN I'll just subscribe to WatchESPN. With all the services I am paying for, I'll still be saving 170 bucks per month by cutting cable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Cut my cable yesterday. I added an IPTV provider which is

Feb 26, 2019, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure how old your router is, but I had a similar problem with signal not reaching a streaming device.

I looked into range extenders and decided to try to update my router first.

My buddy who is an IT guy said it would give a more dependable signal if I bought a router with more range.

It worked well.

You may need an extender but it's worth a look if your router is a little older or not very powerful.

Feb 26, 2019, 11:39 AM

Yeah just bite the bullet and update to a mesh system. Everything I’ve read and been told it’s a better solution than my current/old Apple network I’m using. Looks like I’ll be changing my home network sometime this year. Possibly cutting cable myself. Just a bit nervous since all I really watch is sports.

Feb 26, 2019, 2:03 PM

I cut last January and have not had any issues with sports. Just make sure you choose the right service.

I didn't go all out for the mesh system even though my buddy said it was the best.

They cost a ton!

Feb 26, 2019, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Cut my cable yesterday. I added an IPTV provider which is ]

If you can run an ethernet cable, get a wired access point, not a wireless range extender.

I bought this one refurbished for around $25:

DLink Wireless AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Range Extender Access Point

It's more reliable and the throughput is better since a wireless extender uses half its data capacity to talk to the router.

Most likely, if your wireless router is more than 2 years old, you should get a new router first.

I personally wouldn't buy a mesh router at this point because of the expense and the fact most devices can't take advantage of the mesh.

Just find a router in the $40 to $60 range that has 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz.

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don’t lock yourself into a TV contract

Feb 26, 2019, 12:06 PM

I live in Greenville and last year I opted to add Charter's Spectrum streaming package to my internet package (didn't have any form of TV other than spotty digital antenna beforehand).

It is only $25/month additional, but they also gave me a discount for bundling with internet, so it has come out to be only $10-15 more/month than just having internet solo.

They give you a list of about 60 or so channels and you get to hand-pick 10 channels plus all the locals are included. I picked all the sports channels they offered (it was about 6 of them), and then we threw in 4 more random channels we figured we might watch.

Last year it worked out pretty well, we were able to catch every single game.

This year, with ACCN, we might have to try something different, but I'm holding out to see where ACCN lands as far as which providers end up offering it.

As for the Spectrum streaming service....the app on my Samsung TV was horribly unreliable at first and would crash/freeze often but after calling Charter 3-4 times (frustrating, I know...), they did some update and it has worked fine ever since. I also got some bill credit for all those crashes.

Anyways, hope this helps someone...

Re: Don’t lock yourself into a TV contract

Feb 26, 2019, 1:58 PM

yeah, i've gone with youtube. i watch almost no live t.v., but I was intrigued with their dvr cloud platform that lets me have commercial-skippable recordings of stuff.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic