Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For me, the Brownell retention debate boils down to this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

For me, the Brownell retention debate boils down to this...

Mar 13, 2017, 7:15 PM

NC State just fired a coach whose teams made four NCAA Tournament appearance over the last six years.

Conversely, Brad Brownell and his teams have missed the NCAA Tournament six consecutive years yet Brownell thinks the program is in a good place and on solid footing.

If the administration is committed to the success of Clemson basketball, a change in leadership is absolutely necessary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't see how a reasonable argument could be made

Mar 13, 2017, 7:24 PM

to the contrary. It would be absurd to argue that Brownell has made any progress whatsoever in terms of winning over a seven year span, and it would be absurd to argue that six years is not a reasonable time over which to expect clear, significant, measurable improvement from where we were in his second year.

It bottles the mind. I feel like we are being pacified by some of Trump or Obama's political spin doctors. It is utter nonsense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I don't see how a reasonable argument could be made

Mar 13, 2017, 7:27 PM

He should be gone. How will he recruit with the time remaining on his contract?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too bad common sense ain't.***

Mar 13, 2017, 7:54 PM [ in reply to I don't see how a reasonable argument could be made ]

i beg to disagree.

Mar 13, 2017, 7:30 PM

Can you find someone better. If you can, make a change. If not, you are stuck for another year. It's that simple at this point. That's what they are wrestling with.
Someone who will come to Clemson, who can win at this level and someone will stay. Clemson and DRad do not have a good record here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know till you start looking

Mar 13, 2017, 7:59 PM

So we fire the guy, what's the worse that could happen? Hire another bad coach who fails to make the NCAA tournament 6 years in a row???

Message was edited by: ClemsonRT®

Re: i beg to disagree.

Mar 13, 2017, 8:04 PM [ in reply to i beg to disagree. ]

What difference do you think 1 year will make?

If you can't find another coach this year, then what would make you think that next year will provide a better group of options?

That is a lame excuse to me.

If we're really committed in finding a new coach, we will.

There will almost always be unknowns when you make a change, but at least you've made the change.

You have at least sent a message that you will NOT accept mediocrity.

By allowing this crap to continue, it sends a message that we are just happy.

If DRad chooses to keep him and Brownell ends having the kind of success that duke got from their coach, then great. I'll congratulate and thank him for his great decision.

Re: i beg to disagree.

Mar 13, 2017, 8:11 PM [ in reply to i beg to disagree. ]

Bad logic!

There are 65 coaches who are better that we know of right now!

Mar 14, 2017, 10:02 PM [ in reply to i beg to disagree. ]

Interview several and hire one

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we can do no better than this

Mar 14, 2017, 10:27 PM [ in reply to i beg to disagree. ]

Then lets just drop the sport or save money and have a volunteer coaching staff. I'm sure there are many junior league coaching dads who can lead us to missing the tournament every year.

Comparing us to NCSU in BBall is like comparing NCSU to

Mar 13, 2017, 7:35 PM

us in Football...Utterly incomparable

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Comparing us to NCSU in BBall is like comparing NCSU to

Mar 13, 2017, 7:51 PM

That is referred to as a losers mentality. No thanks.

ah,

Mar 13, 2017, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Comparing us to NCSU in BBall is like comparing NCSU to ]

but you miss the point shack my man. the reality is that there really has been no progress and it is a stagnant program. you don't make changes for changes sake. you make changes out of necessity. in order for clemson to be competitive in the acc and get a nod to the tourney, we MUST not accept 7 yrs of futility. a change is necessary. if va tech and miami can get a bid to dance, then we sure as #### better do the same. we don't have to be carolina or dook or lewisville, but we better be prepared to compete for that bid. and sadly, we are not....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

not exactly

Mar 13, 2017, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Comparing us to NCSU in BBall is like comparing NCSU to ]

We won it all in football this year. NC State has been irrelevant in basketball for years now.

Two Sweet Sixteens in six years

Mar 13, 2017, 8:08 PM

is not irrelevant

Re: Two Sweet Sixteens in six years

Mar 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

and 4 trips to tourney - pretty relevant

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

NCSU hasn't been the same since they left Reynolds Coliseum

Mar 13, 2017, 9:10 PM [ in reply to not exactly ]

they went from a tough place to play with identity and character to a professional, sterile and lackluster environment. It would be like Duke leaving Cameron and moving to the Greensboro Coliseum.

Same thing happened to Maryland after they left Cole Field House.

Re: NCSU hasn't been the same since they left Reynolds Coliseum

Mar 14, 2017, 12:44 AM

Reynolds Coliseum, Cole Field House and Carmichael Auditorium were some great old ACC venues indeed.

we've been similar since Valvano left

Mar 13, 2017, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Comparing us to NCSU in BBall is like comparing NCSU to ]

in 27 years post-Valvano, NC State's winning percentage is 54.8% , Clemson's is 55%. They've been to 10 tourneys making sweet 16 3 times, we've been to 7 making sweet 16 once. If you go back 1 more year, Valvano missed tourney and Ellis went to sweet 16.

So before Mark Gottfried, they had only been to the tourney 6 times in the previous 22 years. He makes the tourney his first 4 years, with sweet 16 twice, and gets fired after missing twice. I think the OP made a valid point.

On the other hand, NC State had a ton of success before then, so their expectations are higher, sorta like with Clemson football after Ford. They've been elite before and are still hoping to find their Dabo to get them there again, so I get your argument too.

They also have Dook and the holes next door

Mar 13, 2017, 8:43 PM

They've run off successful coaches in Sendek and Gottfried. Hired two bad ones in Robinson and Lowe.

But at least they have the desire to try to compete with their blue blood neighbors. We're basically down to being a preseason 14-15 pick next season. Us and BC. When is that not enough?

Re: For me, the Brownell retention debate boils down to this...

Mar 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

I agree with your logic. It's hard to understand why Drad wants to keep Brownell despite his lack of success. Ga Tech has made a change. NC State is making a change . We are going to the bottom of the ACC if we dont.

Mar 13, 2017, 8:11 PM

you again??

Mar 14, 2017, 12:40 AM

I think the answer lies in your last sentence. Admin. wants to win but not committed to spend the money to do so.

Look at NC State hires since they fired Chuck Armato and

Mar 14, 2017, 6:02 AM

Herb Sendak. Two decent coaches, replaced by lesser ones. This is the program you want to emulate? It has been one fail after another. I can think of reasons to can Brad, but just because State did is not one of them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're missing the point***

Mar 14, 2017, 7:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Chuck Amato and Herb Sendek at least won something at

Mar 14, 2017, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Look at NC State hires since they fired Chuck Armato and ]

State.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic