Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about a car wreck.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 357

Question about a car wreck.

Nov 7, 2018, 11:55 AM

Somebody ran a light and totaled my car. They had insurance luckily. Does their insurance cover my tags, titles, etc when I go down to get another car? Somehow I feel like I am going to get screwed over here. Do any of you have any experience with this stuff?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think what's going to happen is they will offer you a lump

Nov 7, 2018, 11:57 AM

sum about 80% your car's actual value. You will counter, after a couple weeks you threaten with a lawyer, and possibly you will end up with about 95% car value with no consideration to tax/tag/title/lightbars/stickers/etc

Happened to at least one person here

Nov 7, 2018, 11:58 AM

joetigerny

What if he had a log of skoal in the car that got ruined?

Nov 7, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to I think what's going to happen is they will offer you a lump ]

would that be compensated?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I don't know about that, but I do know

Nov 7, 2018, 12:02 PM

that if you had a car seat and the vehicle could not be driven away from the wreck.....their insurance will pay for another car seat.

Will they pay for another baby?***

Nov 7, 2018, 12:02 PM

Do you know what babies go for on the black market these

Nov 7, 2018, 12:03 PM

days?

Yes.

Nov 7, 2018, 12:08 PM

Yes I do.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think what's going to happen is they will offer you a lump

Nov 7, 2018, 12:04 PM [ in reply to I think what's going to happen is they will offer you a lump ]

Thanks for the insight.

Get a neck brace. That will trigger the "extras."***

Nov 7, 2018, 12:00 PM

Re: Get a neck brace. That will trigger the "extras."***

Nov 7, 2018, 12:10 PM

I wasn't in the car sadly. It's a second car and I loaned it to a friend who had their car totaled the week before. I haven't been in a wreck since HS. This person gets two cars totaled in 2 weeks. Neither were his fault, but jeez. Sucks I really liked the car too.

Dont cash a check yet whatever you do.

Nov 7, 2018, 12:16 PM

They will offer you the fair market value on your vehicle for what you could sell it for. I tried to argue with them that I wasnt trying to sell my car, I want my car replaced with what I had.

He basically said it doesnt work like that. After a long fight and talking to several people, including having a lawyer, I believe him. However, you can have 'Pain and Suffering' worked out because they have a whole lot more flexibility on that. Basically, use Pain and Suffering to get the difference that you will be out.

Re: Dont cash a check yet whatever you do.

Nov 7, 2018, 12:19 PM

If I were in the car for pain and suffering I would possibly. I wasn't in the car. Thanks for the insight though.

Well, whoever was in the car has enough pain and suffering

Nov 7, 2018, 12:20 PM

for you to at least be able to replace your vehicle.

Yep. Did you go to the doctor afterwards?

Nov 7, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Dont cash a check yet whatever you do. ]

Usually they pay based on a percentage of medicals, like 3 times I think. If you did not go to the doctor, you won't get much for pain and suffering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did...

Nov 7, 2018, 12:21 PM

I had a lot of leverage since it was my pregnant wife that was in the wreck.

That being said,

Nov 7, 2018, 12:22 PM

it was fairly easy to get enough for medical bills and enough to cover the rest of the car replacement. And that is all I went for.

They will give you actual cash value for your car

Nov 7, 2018, 12:19 PM

given the mileage it had at the time of the accident. It varies a little, but generally when the cost to repair damage is around 70% of the actual cash value of the vehicle, they'll total it. Sometimes an old POS car can be totaled with nothing other than airbag deployment needed. If you have a new expensive car, you'll need a much worse wreck.

What they pay you will be exactly what your car is worth. Nothing more or less. You're on your own for tags, etc.

Pro tip: On YOUR insurance, you can opt for total replacement cost coverage. That way, the other person's insurance pays the ACV for the car, then YOUR insurance pays the difference for you to get a brand new car of the same make/model/options.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^he's right you know^^^***

Nov 7, 2018, 12:24 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What they don't tell you about replacement.......

Nov 7, 2018, 12:51 PM

Is that whatever they pay as the difference, is a strike against you and your premiums WILL go up, even if you were not at fault in the accident. Replacement netted me $25K difference in wife's wreck and we got a new SUV. But, my clueless agent told me since wreck was not my fault, my premiums would not go up, even though my insurance is out the $25K difference. He said they can subrogate and get that back. I told him I think not, since I opted for and paid for that additional coverage. I told him I doubt they get back any more than ACV through subrogation.

ANYWAY, long story short, premiums went up 30%. So I shopped around. Premiums up 30% everywhere. I made it into whatever database they have I guess. My premiums in 25 years have not gone up as much before, or since, as they did in that one year. Give me another 5 years or so and I've paid back that $25K in added premiums.

Wagon Mound***

Nov 7, 2018, 12:25 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about a car wreck.

Nov 7, 2018, 12:41 PM

The longer you wait to finalize and sign off on everything, the more they are willing to give you to get it off of their books/schedule.

My wife was in a car wreck and, after paying for our car, we didn't finalize for over a year and they finally called us an offered an additional $4k lump sum to close things.

We were offered current value on the car, but it was more than we paid for it a year before when we bought it used, so I had no complaints.

They will also allow you to buy the car back at a scheduled cost. You can check the value of the wrecked car online from places that will buy it for parts. I expect these days you can make money there as well.

When they give you a check, you don't have to sign paperwork saying you accept their valuation and accepting the check does not close the case (at least in NC).

Message was edited by: castaway®

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget to add in sales tax (it's 7% in GA).***

Nov 7, 2018, 1:27 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 357
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic