Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USA Today article on Clemson football and band
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

USA Today article on Clemson football and band

Sep 5, 2017, 7:01 AM

love having the 31-0 band pic in an article in a national publication. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/09/02/college-footballs-week-1-winners-and-losers-clemson-iowa-notre-dame-texas/629089001/#

Message was edited by: Furious george®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band

Sep 5, 2017, 7:22 AM

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the band display 31-0, which will live in infamy, it was the WRONG THING TO DO. CLEMSON should apologize to tOSU for that, and take disciplinary action for this insult to tOSU. No - I absolutely do NOT like anything about tOSU, and not defending them, but this is just wrong on so many levels. CLEMSON is above doing something like this.

That said - I could forgive the band if it had displayed 56-7.

LOL - JK about the 56-7. Even that would be wrong IMO.

We are CLEMSON - act like it.

Sep 5, 2017, 7:28 AM

I respect your opinion on this and you're probably right that it isn't classy, but it still puts a smile on my face every time I see 31-0.

Message was edited by: Furious george®

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Sep 5, 2017, 7:41 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

we are better than that. But clearly Ohio State is not. I didnt see the relevance of doing this for Kent. It actually might fit better playing an instate school in SC since all the stupid buckeyes move to SCO

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USA Today article on Clemson band- scratch my post

Sep 5, 2017, 8:02 AM

did not realize the context of their performance

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone is focusing on 31-0 but isn't seeing the context

Sep 5, 2017, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

The Alabama score was also displayed by the band. If Clemson beat Ohio State 35-31 would it then be OK? The scores of the two playoff games were part of the performance; the relevance to Kent State is simply they were the first game of 2017 following a national championship season in 2016.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't fall prey to the PC police

Sep 5, 2017, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

Wrong thing to do? Next will be feeling bad about winning. Geesh

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2017, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

Snowflake in the house!

They were reliving the playoffs. Showed 31-0 and Champs

Sep 5, 2017, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

for each game.

What else would they display for the OSU game?

A picture of Urban in a wood chipper?

Are you kidding?

Sep 5, 2017, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

I sure hope so.

As part of the entire proceedings of the first game back at Death Valkey recognizing the national championship, their show was a recap of last season.

If I remember correctly we beat "the" Ohio State by 31-0. If OSU is offended by reality perhaps they should try not to lose that game.

I've seen a lot of unclassly things in over 40 years of watching college football. That was not one of them.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Sep 5, 2017, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

Bless your heart !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Were you at the game? I wasn't, but from what I fead

Sep 5, 2017, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

it wasn't a show dedicated to mocking Ohio State, it was a show dedicated to Clemson's 2016 season. That was an amazing accomplishment, not just beating, but dominating a playoff opponent like that.

Undoubtedly, I do not want Tiger Band to ever devolve into a Stanford or UVA like attitude, mocking our opponents. I just think here, the media is making it look like we put on a performance to embarrass OSU, and I don't think that was the case.

null

Re: Were you at the game? I wasn't, but from what I fead

Sep 5, 2017, 8:20 AM

true. Plus in retrospect Oh St has mostly themselves to blame

then this will cause you to call in sick day to work

Sep 5, 2017, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

no class, Coca-Cola.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grow up

Sep 5, 2017, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

Seriously... this hyper sensitive crap is pathetic

I was much more offended by announcers claiming that

Sep 5, 2017, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

Hio Stat ( seems to be the preferred spelling now) has the best D-line in college football. How does 31-0 back that up? We should put that score on our helmets along with 35-31 for the entire year.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2017, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

I was in Tigerband from 2002 to 2006. That's the first 4 years Dr Spede has been director. I can tell you with quite a bit of confidence that he did not create this set to troll OSU. This was part of a much longer show commemorating all of last season. The article in question conveniently leaves that part out because RATINGS.

Sep 5, 2017, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

OMG did we offend someone? We showed the score to a game from last year?
Wuss!

Oh grow a pair

Sep 5, 2017, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

We beat them 31-0. We are proud of that.

If an athlete wins an Olympic gold medal, are you gunna say the same thing about them wearing their medal?

The entire show was designed to pay tribute to the team winning the playoff and the Championship. The only reason the media is focusing on the 31-0 formation is because of the fact that the Ohio State fan base is one of the most arrogant, condescending, and obnoxious fanbases in America, and any opportunity anyone gets to shut them up people jump all over it.

On top of that, Dr. Mark Spede, the head band director of Tiger Band, is a Michigan grad, and Tim Hurlbert, assistant director of Tiger Band, is a Michigan State grad. I am a former Tiger Band member and was part of the student leadership of Tiger Band during my tenure. I LOVE what the band did to commemorate the Championship run last year, and if you knew the abuse the band receives from other teams and their fans, you probably wouldnt be saying these things.

If you even knew some of the crap OSU fans and media were writing about Clemson leading up to this game, you would probably have a different opinion.

Sep 5, 2017, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: USA Today article on Clemson football and band ]

Did Ohio ST apologise for taking TCU's spot in the first College Foitbal Playoff or refuse It? No. They get what they deserve and this time it is a reminder of embarrassment. It is sports, screw being PC everywhere. I'm sure they get to keep their participation trophy, this is a reminder that they did not belong there and I have no problem with it. If that is what we are making it about. Even though it was more so about Clemson and their 2016 season.

Sep 5, 2017, 7:55 AM
OSU Fans.jpg(92.7 K)

Anybody remember this picture before the Fiesta Bowl? Well I guess now we are even. Way to go tiger band, it was awesome!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2017, 8:10 AM

Bless our hearts...did the Ohio State band do something to make our band do the 31-0 dance????

I was shocked to see that from Tiger Band. A score from the

Sep 5, 2017, 8:20 AM

semifinal game? Weird to do that after a natty season. First time out after beating Alabama in the title game...? Just very strange imo.

were you also shocked to see them spell out

Sep 5, 2017, 8:31 AM

ACC, champs, Dabo, the cactus scene, and Clemson.

They were rehashing the playoff run, not trolling tosu. You can watch it online if you want to...since I'm sure you weren't there.

The "media" reported this out of context and got people riled up. If tosu doesn't like it they should try to score next time...

I understand that, but our leaders needs to know that in

Sep 5, 2017, 8:47 AM

today's society, people will only see the pic and assume the rest... That much is predictable. And perception is reality to the rest of he country. It did seem a little "Virginia like" or "Stanfordesque". But hey, if OSU was offended maybe the should score ??

Tell 'em coot

Sep 5, 2017, 10:12 AM

Re: I understand that, but our leaders needs to know that in

Sep 5, 2017, 11:48 AM [ in reply to I understand that, but our leaders needs to know that in ]

How about facts are reality. This was a tribute to our national championship season, not a hit on OSU. If people don't want the facts, then they're free to cry a river. Get a grip man.

56-3 looked a lot like 56-7

Sep 5, 2017, 8:35 AM [ in reply to I was shocked to see that from Tiger Band. A score from the ]

Sep 5, 2017, 8:45 AM

This is what's wrong with America. Everybody is so scared to hurt somebody's feelings and offend somebody. They were celebrating the playoffs and national championship. It'll be alright. Even if it was a troll or a little bit of a jab it's not a big deal. If the final score was 31-30 and they displayed that would that have been ok?

Sep 5, 2017, 9:21 AM

If it took our band scripting out 31-0 for OSU to be offended then they are worse off than I thought. They should have been offended as soon as that game ended the way our Tigers manhandled them.

"... Tigers as again one of the very elite teams..."

Sep 5, 2017, 10:02 AM

Now everybody is catching on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If tOSU fans don't like

Sep 5, 2017, 10:12 AM

TFB.

If they don't like the truth, get better.

Sep 5, 2017, 11:46 AM

I was there. I saw it coming a mile away. I laughed when they did it. I didn't have a problem with it as many have said, the whole day was a championship celebration and that game was part of that run.

However, I think that should conclude last year's season. I think if it continues, it will just come across as taunting. You know those "obnoxious" fan bases that get labeled here? It doesn't take much to end up in that camp.

And I don't want this to come across as an insult, but I found the whole halftime a bit boring. I get the formations, but I think they could have livened it up a bit rather than just spelling out words/numbers. There's some pretty cool band stuff out there. How hard would it have been to line up on the East EZ and "recreate" the winning play in slow motion? I think there as some missed opportunities... just my opinion.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic