Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CUAD did not renew coaches bonus insurance policy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 4,813

CUAD did not renew coaches bonus insurance policy

Dec 24, 2017, 4:18 AM

Clemson did not renew football bonus insurance policy that saved $1.3 million last year

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney celebrates after the Tigers 38-3 win over Miami in the ACC championship at Bank of ...more
BART BOATWRIGHT/Staff
Facebook
Twitter
Email
Aa
_
+
Manie Robinson | mrobinso@greenvillenews.com
Updated 9:30 a.m. ET Dec. 22, 2017
Before this season began, few people outside the Clemson locker room expected the Tigers to reach the College Football Playoff for a third consecutive year. Adam Goldfarb and Michael Wright were among that confident few.

Goldfarb and Wright operate Risk Point Consulting Group in Marietta, Georgia. Last year, they brokered an insurance policy for the Clemson athletic department that covered the performance bonuses coaches earned through incentive clauses in their contracts.
The policy premium cost Clemson approximately $272,000. It capped the department’s total payout for bonuses at $2 million. Clemson coaches led the Tigers to the national championship and maximized their bonus packages. According to Clemson deputy director of athletics Graham Neff, the policy saved the department $1.3 million.
Prior to this season, administrators requested a quote on a similar policy. Considering the team lost its brightest stars and strongest leaders, Clemson dropped in most preseason projections — except for the one Goldfarb and Wright submitted to the athletic department.

“The rates at which they quoted us were basically the same as last year,” Neff said. “It surprised us a little.”
The athletic department did not share Risk Point’s confidence. After assessing the potential reward against the budgetary risk, administrators elected to decline the policy this season.
They have never been more pleased to be wrong.

Show Caption
Clemson repeated as Atlantic Coast Conference champions and returned to the Playoff. The Tigers will face Alabama in the Sugar Bowl semifinal on New Year's Day.
More: Christmas comes early for Clemson coach Dabo Swinney
More: Early signing period is a 'new deal' for Clemson coach Dabo Swinney
More: Clemson football: Dabo Swinney's coaching staff is maintaining continuity
Clemson assistant coaches could compile a maximum bonus of $1.1 million. Head coach Dabo Swinney earned $1.5 million in bonuses last year. His maximum bonus this season is $1 million.

Swinney earned $200,000 for winning the ACC title and another $200,000 for reaching the Playoff.
According to Neff, the administrators did not beat themselves up about their missed opportunity. The coaches did that for them.
“We were in the locker room in Charlotte after they won the ACC Championship,” Graham recalled. “All of a sudden, one coach pulls me aside. He goes, ‘Did you guys buy the insurance?’
“I said, ‘No, Coach, we didn’t.’ He goes, 'You didn’t believe! You didn't believe in us!' We laughed. Then, we paused, and he says, 'I probably wouldn’t have bought it either.’”
There is prudence in the coach’s tease. The department’s decision was not induced by doubt. It was prompted by practicality.

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney celebrates with his team after their 38-3 ACC championship win over ...more
BART BOATWRIGHT/Staff
Several reasonable scenarios would have negated the merit of the policy. For instance, if Clemson had closed the regular season 10-2 instead of 11-1, finished second in the ACC Atlantic Division instead of first, and played in the Citrus Bowl instead of the Sugar, the cost of the insurance premium would have been approximately $50,000 higher than the staff total for performance bonuses.
“We have to make a value-based decision too,” Neff said. “We don't just pull the trigger on it. We run the values and see if it makes sense. We’re still going to pay a lot of bonuses this year. Hopefully more.”
Now that another championship and another payout are within reach, like most people outside the Clemson locker room, administrators are significantly more confident in the team’s capabilities. They have the developed the faith of an insurance broker.
“This was supposed to be a ‘rebuilding year,’” Neff said with a laugh. “The insurance folks said it wasn’t going to be. That proved to be true.”

text
facebook
twitter
email
Originally Published 10:23 a.m. ET Dec. 21, 2017
Updated 9:30 a.m. ET Dec. 22, 2017
Share your thoughts
Join now for as low as
$9.99/YR
Subscribe Now
Facebook
Twitter
Email
Sponsored Links .
Georgia: Best & Worst Refinance Mortgage Companies of 2017
Comparisons.org
Overwhelmed by Customer Data? Download This from IBM
IBM
The Easy Way to Get Cash That Car Owners Don't Know About
Titlemax
Don't Do It Yourself - Hire a Atlanta Handyman for Your Home Projects
HomeAdvisor
by Taboola
FROM THE GREENVILLE NEWS
Clemson football: How much does it cost to be a fan of the Tigers?
3 days ago
RECOMMENDED
Clemson defense excels when coach Brent Venables gets extra time to prepare for bowl game
Christmas comes early for Clemson coach Dabo Swinney
USC Frank Martin after loss to Clemson
Jake Venables 'excited, nervous,' about playing for his father, Clemson's defensive coordinator
Sponsored LinksAD CONTENT
This New 10-Minute Workout Blasts Fat from Head to Toe
8fit - Download From Android
FROM THE GREENVILLE NEWS
Clemson student killed in wreck on I-85
4 days ago
RECOMMENDED
College football's early signing period makes its debut
Greenville Main Street restaurant Soby's to close for renovation Jan. 1
Clemson men's basketball team gets stingy right before Christmas
Wofford Terriers shock No. 5 North Carolina Tar Heels
Forget Social Security if you Own a Home (Do This)
Clever Economy Quotes
FROM THE GREENVILLE NEWS
Greenville pastor speaks on journey beyond Redemption
6 days ago
RECOMMENDED
Larger trophy room? Dabo Swinney may need the extra space
McKelvey has fond memories of Southside's state championship run
Clemson coach Brad Brownell says rivalry game with Gamecocks 'should be sold out'
Upstate students spend the day with Clemson football players
12 Smart Travel Hacks
Citi
HELP
TERMS OF SERVICE
PRIVACY NOTICE
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE
AD CHOICES
OUR ETHICAL PRINCIPLES
ACCESSIBILITY SUPPORT
FULL SITE
© Gannett 2017

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't drink and copy/paste.

Dec 24, 2017, 6:08 AM

Kidding, but in the future - spend like 10 seconds reviewing your post (or link to the actual article) so it's not so cumbersome to read. Thanks for the article, I'd heard rumblings of it but it's nice to be able to put some numbers with it. Think how many slides we could've built with that money.

Re: Don't drink and copy/paste.

Dec 24, 2017, 7:42 AM

yes know. I just copied the entire article which was broken up with ads and teasers on other article. Plus it came from The State so what you expect. LOL

Can I get Goldfarb and Co to give me their pick in the Semi?

Dec 24, 2017, 10:12 AM

And the natty?

tia

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

They should’ve consulted with ALLweatherfan, who bought tickets in June

Dec 24, 2017, 10:57 AM

To the ACC Championship game for $26 each.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Why does anyone anywhere need to know this

Dec 24, 2017, 11:05 AM

Junk? I surely dont want dan radakovich knowing my financial business. And i dont care about his.

Rough Christmas?

Dec 24, 2017, 12:54 PM

I read and posted the article a couple days ago. I thought it was hilarious that when the coaches and administration got together and discussed the subject they all agree that not one of them would have paid the money betting that we'd get back to the playoffs.

The funny part was that all of them were delighted to be wrong. All in all it revealed a great bonding between our coaching staff and the administration. That's was missing when Danny won our first NC.

It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Doesn't it make you happy?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans***

Dec 24, 2017, 12:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 4,813
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic