Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reality about the Georgia game. It seems that we are
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Reality about the Georgia game. It seems that we are

Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM

hanging our hat on having a better offense than Georgia. The truth is that Georgia has 10 starters back on offense. Where we simply don't have the talent we have become used to at tight end, they have Jay Rome. Actually, we lost our starting tight end in the spring game and he wasn't even close to Dwayne Allen and Branden Ford. We also do not have the big time running backs that we have had in Ellington and Spiller and Georgia has Gurly and Marshall.

I don't think anyone even pretends that we will have the edge on defense as we are still trying to get back to some form of what we used to have on defense.

I think we are going to have a good team that will win 10, maybe 11 games counting bowls and ACCCG maybe, but we are catching Georgia at a terrible time. They are loaded with 10 starters back on one of the nation's best offenses, good defense, and picked to win the SEC East.

Do you have any reasons why I should come in off the ledge or should I just jump.

Your thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reality about the Georgia game. It seems that we are

Jul 19, 2013, 10:37 AM

good or bad you just never know how a team will play in an opener- us or them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jump! We WILL have the "edge" on D and that will do it.***

Jul 19, 2013, 10:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What makes you think they have a good defense?

Jul 19, 2013, 10:43 AM

They lost pretty much their entire secondary and three more have been hurt/suspended already. Also even with all of that departed NFL talent from last year their D wasn't that great. I have little concern about the RB situation as we have plenty of bodies to make up for the departure of AE. TE is an interesting situation and we'll see what Chad is going to do with it. We've got talent there, it's just young and inexperienced.

I agree that UGA has a very good offense but that offense has looked pedestrian at times in the past and UGA doesn't normally come out the gate on fire in recent history. Added in that this game is in the valley and we have more experience then them on D coming back I think it's perfectly reasonable to think we have the advantage on defense.

This will be a hard fought game but I give us the edge because of home field, a more experienced D, and a still powerful offense against a defense with quite a few questions marks.

Re: What makes you think they have a good defense?

Jul 19, 2013, 10:50 AM

Drobins - May surprise you, but I agree with you on the defense. We have WAY too many questions and inexperience to say we have a good defense at this point. The good thing for both Georgia and Clemson - with the offensives we both have we only have to be decent on D (by the end of the season) to post 11 wins. Unfortunately for us we face You, SCu, and LSU early in the season ... a test I would rather not have ...

Re: What makes you think they have a good defense?

Jul 19, 2013, 9:42 PM

Can we get some more Dawg and Chicken fans like you around here? Ones that just like to talk football and don't have to end every reply with "Fear the Thumb Taters!"

Have a buddy push you-

Jul 19, 2013, 10:45 AM

Jumping could cause insurance to be void and it will look better in the eyes of your family

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, this is going to be the best Clemson team since 1989,

Jul 19, 2013, 10:47 AM

I would jump -- for joy if I was you!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not talented at TE?

Jul 19, 2013, 10:57 AM

Brandon ford was a 78 grade WR convert - with very limited experience before playing last year.

Now we have:
Seckinger - 73 grade WR Convert. (decent experience)
Mccullough - 78 grade TE (no experience - RS)
Leggett - 4* 81 grade TE (no experience, but majorly impressing coaches)

I think we'll be fine at TE.

Just wish some of these guys were beefier

Jul 19, 2013, 11:08 AM

Need to get some more weight on in a hurry, without that deer antler spray.

I agree

Jul 19, 2013, 1:23 PM

I think as far as receiving we have a good group of TE's, but I think their blocking will be lacking at least at the beginning of the season. I think Morris said that Seckinger is up 232 if he can get to 240 by the UGA game that will be good.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Pretty sure at media days they said Leggett was 240...

Jul 19, 2013, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Just wish some of these guys were beefier ]

Jay Jay was 233 when we were recruiting him. Having seen him since, he's bigger.

Re: Leggett looked like a veteran in the Orange &White game***

Jul 19, 2013, 7:07 PM

Re: Pretty sure at media days they said Leggett was 240...

Jul 19, 2013, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Pretty sure at media days they said Leggett was 240... ]

Leggett says he got up from 217 in January to 240 now in mid-July. That's impressive. I thought he looked skinny in high school but he's a full grown man now at 6'6" 240.

No experience

Jul 19, 2013, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Not talented at TE? ]

Allen and Ford were both talented and experienced the last two years. Those other guys haven't even played a down of college football yet.

Don't be scared just have realistic expectations....

Jul 19, 2013, 11:15 AM

anticipate a tough game. Hopefully first game mistakes are in our favor and we come out on top. I think we are well matched and have the ability to have a great year starting off with a win over UGA-ly.

Not many teams can reasonably say they would have a shot in hell of winning this game against UGA but we can.

Agreed***

Jul 19, 2013, 11:25 AM

Of course, it will also be in Death Valley. ******

Jul 19, 2013, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Don't be scared just have realistic expectations.... ]

null

Re: Reality about the Georgia game. It seems that we are

Jul 19, 2013, 11:37 AM

You're right, their offense is completely stacked and we should definitely be worried every time Murray and Gurshall have the ball in their hands. But if you compare the two defenses, neither one has proven anything yet, but I think we definitely look better on paper. They will unfortuantely be without some key contributors, and I expect some of the struggles they had last year (particularly against the run) to continue this year. Clemson, on the other hand, is on its way up. Our front seven is lined up to have a spectacular season, and people seem to forget that we're actually returning a complete two deep at corner, since we're getting some guys back from injury. Plus Blanks and Smith are incredibly talented at safety.

So I give their offense a slight edge over ours, with Boyd slightly edging Murray in the passing and overall QB play departments, but you can't ignore the strength of their running game, which gives them an overall edge. I give Clemson's defense an equal edge though, as we were not hit nearly as hard by graduation and the draft, plus we're just deeper up front.

Remember the 2009 ACC Championship Game? Where our D couldn't stop the Jackets, and they couldn't stop CJ? I think this game could be very similar, with the W going to whichever defense grows up and finds it's groove the fastest, to force that one crucial punt or two.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU had a good running game too last year….

Jul 19, 2013, 12:28 PM

and look how well that worked out for them against us.

Re: LSU had a good running game too last year….

Jul 19, 2013, 12:32 PM

Yeah, but they didn't have a passing attack to compliment their running game.

Yeah, Mettenderper was just awful

Jul 19, 2013, 12:45 PM

And he was talking smack before and afterwards? Pfft.

Re: Yeah, Mettenderper was just awful

Jul 19, 2013, 12:55 PM

He's not awful, but their passing game wasn't very good.

He is turribad, there's no sugar coating it

Jul 19, 2013, 1:16 PM

That is an awful QB.

Mettenburger would be 4th on Clemson's depth chart at qb***

Jul 19, 2013, 2:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU's running attack was fine.... their coach blew it.

Jul 19, 2013, 1:13 PM [ in reply to LSU had a good running game too last year…. ]

Not complaining...I partied like a rockstar in ATL that night but lets keep it in perspective. LSU had no business throwing the ball in the 4th qtr.

Because the running game was working so well

Jul 19, 2013, 1:17 PM

Let's not forget our DL and LB getting it done before that.

74% of LSU's rushing yards where on two carries

Jul 19, 2013, 1:27 PM [ in reply to LSU's running attack was fine.... their coach blew it. ]

A 57 yarder and a 17 yarder the other 23 rushes they were held to an average of 1.1 yards/carry

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Not exactly. You have to figure in sack losses. Even so, it

Jul 19, 2013, 1:30 PM

shows DL dominance and major improvement with the LBs.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without the sacks they averaged 7.6 ypc. Taking out

Jul 19, 2013, 1:44 PM

those two TD runs, they averaged 4.2 ypc.

Interestingly, it looks like they got one first down the entire game by rushing.

Of course, 6 sacks will throw off the statistics a bit.

Six.

6 sacks.

null

to me, this is the key to the game. if we can get consistent

Jul 19, 2013, 7:34 PM

pressure on a.m.,
we can make thugu a less talented lsu team (being 1-dimensional), and win going away. if y'all remember, our d-line was a question mark heading into last year, and it became a strength as the year progressed. this year, i see that strength being even stronger, coupled with an lb corp that,imo, will be among the best in the country, and helping out a secondary that is the defensive ? of our team, whom i think will surprise the he** out of thugu, because we will finally have our starters healthy, and, on top of that, we brought in, arguably, the best secondary class in the country.
uga will WELCOME usuc in week 2, after having the wood laid to them all game long in week 1. they will be ecstatic to get back to their sec schedule!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our LB's will not

Jul 20, 2013, 8:57 AM

Be among the best LB units in the country. What are you even basing that on? A SAM that is lost, a Mike that lost his job last year, and a Will that's never played the position?
This sounds more negative than I intended, but our LB situation is in an experimental stage right now.

Right on, but what worries me

Jul 20, 2013, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Reality about the Georgia game. It seems that we are ]

is last year's coot game. Yeah, we played a great game against LSU but the coot game at our place stunk. We were ahead in the polls, favored, them without their best running back and then played with a backup qb. We can definitely beat the dawgs but coot game at home still bothers me as to what can happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uga is gonna get 31-35 pts... Just up to us to get more***

Jul 19, 2013, 12:24 PM

Agree with that general ballpark figure, tho it could be

Jul 19, 2013, 1:09 PM

slightly less. Just the same, I think we get 45-48 range. Clemson by 10+.

My thoughts, if you're already conceding a loss stop being..

Jul 19, 2013, 12:26 PM

a Clemson fan.

Re: My thoughts, if you're already conceding a loss stop being..

Jul 20, 2013, 7:23 AM

Great point! If the Tigers' defense plays a good, solid game of assignment football, I like Boyd, Watkins, and co., in a mostly offensive shootout. That said, I wouldn't bet the ranch on any CF opening game between two traditional powerhouses, because anything can happen.

Reality is they are a top program in the SEC

Jul 19, 2013, 1:01 PM

As much fun as it is to bash the SEC on this board, here is an interesting fact....

Alabama has won 3 National Championships in 4 years and has yet to win the conference in consecutive years in the same time span.

Given where Georgia rates in the SEC, any over confidence on this board is juvenile.

Not OVER confidence, but realistic evaluation.***

Jul 19, 2013, 1:10 PM

Re: Not OVER confidence, but realistic evaluation.***

Jul 19, 2013, 1:16 PM

Against LSU, I was in love with how our D Line played and I'm sure they were a big part of Met looking bad, but the dude couldn't hit wide open receiver after wide open receiver. Murray is a much better QB.

This game is going to be a huge, difficult battle. But now having said that, I expect us to our work them and come out on top.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, it's definitely going to be a WAR. Probably one of the

Jul 19, 2013, 1:28 PM

best games of the regular season and certainly a tone-setter for Clemson and GA. Even so, it's a game of match-ups and I like our advantage of experience on the D side of the game. That's most certainly not taking anything away from their O, but I think we can do more to slow their O than they can to slow ours. Nothing more, nothing less. I also prefer our kicking game offensively but if we don't get a grip on kickoff/punt returns, they could be the caveat to a season run. I still say Clemson by 10+.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Re: Reality is they are a top program in the SEC

Jul 19, 2013, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Reality is they are a top program in the SEC ]

Valid point, however, the threats to Alabama have all come out of the west over that span. To say any team out of the east was a contender over that period is delusional.

Yes, the SEC has been the best conference for awhile, but its been because of their top teams and for the last few years all of those top teams have come from the west!

Tigernet is definately way too overconfident about this game

Jul 19, 2013, 1:19 PM

but I like our chances.

How do we know how good their defense is going to be? They

Jul 19, 2013, 1:33 PM

lost a ton of players, and most all of their playmakers off of a defense that started out crappy, and then was pretty good later.

It seems obvious to me that UGA will try to milk the clock like usuc did, so expect a lot of short passing and running. Stopping them on 3rd down is key, as always but prolly moreso in this one.

Their secondary is depleted especially, so we have a distinct advantage there, especially late in the game since they don't have as much depth.

But the wildcard is kick coverage and returns. We have sucked there, and losing that battle will give UGa an advantage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their offense doesn't play our offense.

Jul 19, 2013, 2:49 PM

The offenses are likely a wash, and while our defense isn't hells bells - there is nothing to suggest theirs was any better and they lost way more than we did.

Every reason you give for us to not be positive, they have no more than us.

Plus it's at our place.

Plus it's July...don't be such a puss.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

# 1, it is in Death Valley

Jul 19, 2013, 9:40 PM

Both teams have questins to be answered.

I think Tajh is the better QB

We are good at running back with hot rod and others

very strong at WR

Secondary, I hope, will suprise us

Just have to play and coach smartly

I tend to agree. I see D's as about even and their O is....

Jul 20, 2013, 7:32 AM

definitely more balanced. Play action will kill us.

how are our d's "about even" ? we have more proven,

Jul 20, 2013, 7:54 AM

returning starters, and progressed throughout last year, meaning also that there is no reason to doubt that the same progression should have continued throughout spring and and into fall camp.
thugu lost quite a few off their roster, and have lost some more due to suspensions. their #'s are already thin at the db positions, and will come into the valley on a hot august night, matched up against our wr's. that does not mix well for them, imo.

Guess we'll see. Hope you are proven correct.***

Jul 20, 2013, 7:56 AM

Re: how are our d's "about even" ? we have more proven,

Jul 20, 2013, 9:37 AM [ in reply to how are our d's "about even" ? we have more proven, ]

Not that I'm trying to correct you sir, but we only lost 1 defensive player to suspension. Also, our secondary isn't thin just inexperienced. There is plenty of talent there. Personally I believe it will come down to your o-line vs our front seven and our o-line vs your front seven.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic