Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A serious question for the board. With the gentlemens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

A serious question for the board. With the gentlemens

May 22, 2012, 11:42 PM

agreement that Fla and Usuc has between themselves to keep Clemson and FSU out of the SEC. Clemson and Usuc both are public schools receiving state funding. Why can't we petition our state representatives to force usuc to end any agreement that would hinder Clemson from getting more money for the University. Something like what happen with UVA and VT. What do you think ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A serious question for the board. With the gentlemens

May 22, 2012, 11:43 PM

The gentlemens agreement may exist, but I don't think the SEC is interested either way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that so called "Gentlemen's Agreement" doesn't exist...

May 22, 2012, 11:47 PM

For one, "gentleman" and SCU are mutually exclusive terms. However, the biggest reason this agreement does not and will never exist, is politics. Plain and simple.

Clemson would be recruiting threat for SC, UGA, TN, AUB

May 22, 2012, 11:50 PM

in SEC. Much more of a pushover in recruiting while a member of ACC. Sadly ... that's the crux of it right now, but winning big changes everything and it's up to Clemson to make our future on the field. Long and short of it.

Mostly though ESPN and TV rights will make the call, and a NC school and VA Tech are best fit for SEC geographically and financially.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson would be recruiting threat for SC, UGA, TN, AUB

May 23, 2012, 8:55 AM

the recruits would still be coming into the SEC...so why would it matter which school they went to?

Besides you can't tell me Alabama isn't a recruiting threat to Auburn and Mississippi isn't a threat to Mississippi State, etc, etc.

Doesn't Matter ...

May 23, 2012, 1:24 AM

SEC is looking to TV markets it is not already in ... With SC's small population, Clemson doesn't add much to its TV coverage.

Re: Doesn't Matter ...

May 23, 2012, 7:08 AM

Really
Lets say Clemson & The Cockerel are on TV at the same
time which one would have the highest Nelson Rating
Ratings = $'s thats what the SEC will look at

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the marginal change ...

May 23, 2012, 2:14 PM

That would only add a small amount ... the increase over USC ... adding a school in another region would add a greater number of additional viewers ... and if they are on at the same time, we're probabaly watching both anyway ...

Don't take this as my not wanting to join the SEC ... I just don't think it is realistic.

May 23, 2012, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't Matter ... ]

for a regional cable network subscriptions = $ more than ratings do. no sense in doubling down in a state that will already have your channel.

May 23, 2012, 2:57 PM

Exactly, the SEC is looking at the creation of an independent cable network, and will get paid by how many households they have. New markets are markets that with the addition of a team increase the likelyhood of getting cable companies to carry the network.

It is the B1G model, 2 tiers of cost for the cable companies... areas with not teams get a low per house cost (.05 cents a month maybe) while states with a team pay maybe .75 a month per house on the cable system.

That is why they do not need another team in any existing state... it is highly unlikely that a second team will result in any additional cable companies joining in the distribution of the network.

It not Nelson ratings, its cable networks.

May 23, 2012, 8:57 AM

> agreement that Fla and Usuc has between themselves to
> keep Clemson and FSU out of the SEC.

there is no way sc (the newbie of the conference) has more power over the SEC as a whole to keep Clemson out if the SEC wanted us.

May 23, 2012, 2:47 PM

The gentlemens agreement probably doesn't exist and if it does it will never matter. The future SEC network is what is keeping Clemson and FSU from the SEC.

The addition of TAMU and Missou

May 23, 2012, 3:31 PM

would make any such agreement useless, as the voting bloc of SCar, Fla, UGA, and Tenn would no longer have enough votes to veto expansion.

May 23, 2012, 3:38 PM

I know some coots who swear it happened. I couldn't care less whether we double crossed them or not.....but if we had left the ACC when they did, we would have ended up in the SEC and now they would be the ones agonizing over this expansion stuff. It is a bit ironic.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic