Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does our bowl game feel like a BCS game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Does our bowl game feel like a BCS game?

Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 PM

Generally I would say no, of course not. But looking at the FSU Northern Illinois matchup, and the Stanford Wisconsin game, I feel like us playing LSU is a much better, and more hyped game.

Just the way the BCS works with all the annoying tie-ins, but what do y'all think? If I looked at this as a non-biased fan, I'd definitely want to watch Clemson-LSU over the other two games mentioned if they were on tv at the same time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does our bowl game feel like a BCS game?

Dec 14, 2012, 12:54 PM

No. In fact our number of recent trips there make it feel like just another game IMO

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True..... but all of the recent times we've been have been

Dec 14, 2012, 12:56 PM

really big games! :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True..... but all of the recent times we've been have been

Dec 14, 2012, 1:01 PM

Just another Saturday night in the SEC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*facepalm****

Dec 14, 2012, 1:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why exactly does this deserve a facepalm?

Dec 14, 2012, 1:16 PM

Just trying to start a topic different from the doom and gloom running around here the past few weeks

Look there's nothing nice I can say about this so I

Dec 14, 2012, 1:19 PM

don't really want to explain it to you. Long story short, this is coot logic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No no no....

Dec 14, 2012, 1:24 PM

coot logic is incredibly stupid, something like, oh well even though LSU beat us, and they beat a Florida team that beat us, we beat arkansas by more points than they did so USuC is still the better team...

That's coot logic.

Me saying, hey look we have a big bowl game this year, doesn't it have kind of a BCS feeling? That's a fan trying to hype up a bowl game, didn't realize that was looked down upon

Re: No no no....

Dec 14, 2012, 4:59 PM

dont worry, this is the same guy who cried for years that PaulJohnson was a better coach than Dabo.

Certainly a better matchup than some BCS games this year.***

Dec 14, 2012, 1:21 PM

Doesn't seem like it...

Dec 14, 2012, 1:53 PM

seems like pretty much everyone expects LSU to smash us(espn poll on this was right at 80% for LSU and 20% for us).
It's a no win nationally; if we win then LSU wasn't motivated to be there. If we lose, then a middle of the pack SEC team beat one of the best teams in the ACC.

Heads they win, tails we lose.

But on the whole, I DO think ESPN et. al. are trying to drum up some hype... I just don't think most people are buying it.

Re: Doesn't seem like it...

Dec 14, 2012, 4:33 PM

> seems like pretty much everyone expects LSU to smash
> us(espn poll on this was right at 80% for LSU and 20%
> for us).
> It's a no win nationally; if we win then LSU wasn't
> motivated to be there.

That is BS, if your team wins it wins. If you let excuses from the fans of LSU or the outside talking heads lesson your team's victory, then you're a loser to start with and are a disservice to your team as a fan. Do you think the team will feel cheated out of something in victory? I doubt it.

> If we lose, then a middle of
> the pack SEC team beat one of the best teams in the
> ACC.

LSU is a far cry from a middle of the pack anything when it comes to football. You may not have paid attention to LSU's games this season, but as a LSU alumnus that watched every game objectively, they are actually closer to being undefeated than middle of the pack. The national perception of LSU by many is that they are overrated, but truth be known, they are underrated.

> Heads they win, tails we lose.

You're probably right. On the outside chance that the coin lands on its edge and you win, don't take it any other way than a good win for your team.

> But on the whole, I DO think ESPN et. al. are trying
> to drum up some hype... I just don't think most
> people are buying it.

They shouldn't have to beat that drum too hard, if you would look past the venue and focus on the match up.(I'm pretty sure this is the point the OP was trying to make) There are only three bowl games that pit higher ranked opponents against each other; the BCSCG, the Fiesta and Cotton. To make the deal even sweeter for Clemson is that LSU is ranked higher than both of the Cotton Bowl participants. Between us, I'll tell you that LSU is better than both K State and Standford too.

Heck yeah it does...better than the rest***

Dec 14, 2012, 1:54 PM

Does that make our game last year a non-BCS bowl game "feel"

Dec 14, 2012, 2:17 PM

because some non-BCS bowl games last year pitted higher ranked teams? We and West Virginia were nowhere near the Top 10.

Once again proving tie-ins are the dumbest idea EVER***

Dec 14, 2012, 3:30 PM

Dec 14, 2012, 4:38 PM

Honest answer is it feels like a let down to me because we had a chance for a BCS game by beating S. Carolina and blew it.

No. Is nice like an entry-level Audi. Not a high-end Porsche

Dec 14, 2012, 4:40 PM

It is around the fourth best match-up as many pundits have said already which is a plus. And the Chick-bowl is one of the rotating bowls moving forward in the Playoffs (I think) which is a plus.

But it doesn't have that BCS-feel because it isn't a BCS game. We are close to "arriving" but as of yet we have not.

So we are in the near-luxury/entry-luxury segment...not quite in the luxury category yet.

I'm still reelin' from the last BCS feelin'...

Dec 14, 2012, 4:46 PM

so I'm going to say, "NO!!"

Re: I'm still reelin' from the last BCS feelin'...

Dec 14, 2012, 5:29 PM

When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, bowl games played on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, were THE big bowl games. For several years, in the 60s, I believe, the Sugar Bowl Classic, was played on New Year's Eve and the traditional Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, and Orange Bowl were all on New Year's Day. These traditional bowls had the word Classic on the end of their title. To me, this BCS phrase has just never really sunk in. This year's CFA game on New Year's Eve between LSU and Clemson will have pretty much the same national audience of this year's BCS games and to me, reminds me of the Sugar Bowl Classic feel I had when I was about 12 or 13 years old. Notre Dame and Bama played for the national championship in one or two of those games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Soldier

Dec 14, 2012, 6:49 PM

i wouldnt say either feels like a bcs bowl but we both got intriguing matchups this year. better than the two you mentioned and both are two of the better non-bcs bowls. really excited to watch both games.

Not a chance*****************

Dec 14, 2012, 6:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic