Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anybody else think baseball rules should change?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Does anybody else think baseball rules should change?

Jul 6, 2018, 1:06 PM

It’s so frustrating to see kids picked in middle rounds of the draft forego their education and opportunity to get so much better at a top program to spend years in a crappy minor league lifestyle. Gosh I wish college baseball rules were like football where the kid has to go to school. It is even worse when schools like Vandy have an unfair advantage on schollys and are able to convince kids to skip the draft bc of a full ride offer while we aren’t able to do so. I just think the whole baseball recruiting show is a $h*t show that needs to be fixed

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anybody else think baseball rules should change?

Jul 6, 2018, 1:40 PM

In my mind, it's a complex deal.
The lack of athletic scholarship money (compared with other sports), and the money a top tier kid can take out of high school definitely contribute to this situation. Yes, college coaches, in some cases, can combine athletic and academic scholarship money to help, but very few players get a full ride.

Players are urged to take whatever money and go on to develop in a professional organization. Combine that with players from other countries who get into the professiona system at younger ages, and develop under that coaching, and the pressure is amped up. And those foreign players for the most part are from poor backgrounds, and would be happy to stay with host families, and live that lifestyle.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 7:46 PM

Should increase scholarships asap.

Yes the college baseball scholarship issue should be better

Jul 6, 2018, 2:30 PM

If that is what you're saying I certainly agree

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes the college baseball scholarship issue should be better

Jul 6, 2018, 6:44 PM

Still trying to figger out why horse ridin' gets more schollys than baseball.

Jul 6, 2018, 2:38 PM

Should scholarships be better, Yes.

Should players be forced to attend school to get a good look in the majors, absolutely not.

The NFL system is the one that is broken. Players who have not put in effort on the academic side or have no interest in college should not become student athletes. Having said that, those that put in the effort and want to attend college while pursuing their athletic opportunities should be appropriately rewarded (full scholarships) and have the opportunity to do so.

null

Jul 6, 2018, 2:40 PM

Very true, hadn’t thought about the academic side of things

Jul 6, 2018, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Does anybody else think baseball rules should change? ]

"Should players be forced to attend school to get a good look in the majors, absolutely not. The NFL system is the one that is broken. "

No player is ever "forced" to attend school to get into the NFL (or NBA). The NFL and NBA, in conjunction with their player's unions (and don't ever forget the player's unions), have decided that younger kids are not welcome in the NFL and NBA.

The NBA has a minimum age of age of 19 (with some legalese words to that effect and defining certain exceptions). The NFL doesn't have a minimum age per se, but requires that player be 3 years removed from high school.

It is in a player's best interests to play college ball: work out facilities, exposure, coaching, competition. But there's not rule requiring him to do so.

A basketball player who doesn't want to attend college as a one-and-done could simply sit home for a year and work on his game with his own resources (e.g., AAU coaches, high-school coaches, practice at the Y or one of the "academy" sports complexes).

Same for football player. Sit home and work out. He could play semi-pro for 3 years.

The important thing to bear in mind is that NONE of this is because of any NCAA rules. The only NCAA rules that come into play revolve around the eligibility. Professional athletes cannot generally play NCAA sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 3:31 PM

Yes, there's entirely too much standing around, scratching privates, spitting on the ground, and not enough action to hold fans' attention. A lot of players are fat and lack the stamina of players in other sports. Since the game is so slow, spectators have to find other things to keep themselves engaged, such as over-eating and drinking too much. I'd like to see more scoring and more homeruns and things to speed up the game. Let's give the pitcher like 5 seconds to pitch the ball or the batter is awarded first base, and let's see what happens. I've also got some ideas to improve soccer, but that's a topic for another day. ;)

Jul 6, 2018, 3:42 PM

No man I love baseball but soccer... now I’ll hear your ideas on that one

Jul 6, 2018, 5:40 PM

OK, ideas to improve soccer...let's maintain the high amount of ball movement, but Americans want to see more scoring.
1) Replace the soccer goal with a hockey goal, but let's get rid of the goal keeper position to make it interesting. We want more scoring, but let's not get too crazy here. Why should one player get to use his hands when the rest can't?
2) Get rid of offsides penalty; it's stupid. This will give opportunities for fast break points more like basketball, which we like.
3) Implement a backfield violation, similar to a basketball backcourt violation. Once the ball gets across mid-field, let's not let 'em completely retreat and let the fans down who want to see a score.
4) Last and not least - unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for taking a flop, let's not hesitate to pull that dreaded yellow card out on 'em.

Jul 6, 2018, 8:21 PM

Not in favor of #1. I have often said the same thing about #2. Calling offsides just because my guy is faster than yours is total BS. I understand why it was created just to prevent offense from hovering at the goal waiting for long kick. But when a guy has control of the ball and brings it forward then that should never be offsides. I would be good with adding #3&4 as well. But what I would suggest is a penalty box for floppers kind of like hockey. Just think of the harassment the opposing fans would give the guy in the "Flop Box"!

Message was edited by: TigerBigBass

I'd like to see it played during baseball season.

Jul 6, 2018, 3:54 PM

trying to play baseball in February and March is insanity.

Month and half shift - season should go from April to August.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 6:44 PM

Yes, the NCAA should take 5 scholarships away from football and give them to baseball. The Title 9 equation will remau n intact.

On another level, games should be reduced to 7 innings.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic