Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does any of the old timers remember the Global Cooling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Does any of the old timers remember the Global Cooling

Jul 26, 2019, 1:16 PM

scare of the 1970s? A new Ice Age was upon us ...

It seem like we just go from one crisis to the next ...

Global Cooling - Acid Rain - Global Warming - Climate Change

If I had to guess, the next one will most likely be Caustic Snow ... burning polar bears and penguins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take any, or all of the above if that's what it takes

Jul 26, 2019, 1:20 PM

to finally be rid of cutigerbob®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I'll take any, or all of the above if that's what it takes

Jul 26, 2019, 1:41 PM

You appear to have a vandata against old Bawb. Did he kick you in the ankle at some point in the past?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just another ax grinder.***

Jul 26, 2019, 2:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

No need for compliments.

Jul 26, 2019, 2:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I don't think "ax grinder" means what you think it means***

Jul 26, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Just another ax grinder.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I was born after the ocean receded from Cootville

Jul 26, 2019, 1:37 PM

In the 70's I remember the gas shortage with long gas lines and even/odd fill up days.
We were going to run out soon.
Good times...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you trust what they have to say, now...? ...Or not?***

Jul 31, 2019, 5:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i remember when it was all about the ozone layer***

Jul 26, 2019, 1:50 PM

Re: i remember when it was all about the ozone layer***

Jul 26, 2019, 2:07 PM

Yep and killer bees were invading from Mexico - think they made a movie or seven about it.

I saw the one called "Tremors"...gald they got those things

Jul 26, 2019, 10:37 PM

taken care of before they became a real problem. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Jul 26, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to i remember when it was all about the ozone layer*** ]

Which, remarkably, starting healing itself when the world went away from CFC's via the Montreal Protocol.

https://www.livescience.com/60858-smallest-ozone-hole-over-antarctica.html

Scientists are certainly not always right, but just as I assume a doctor knows more about medicine than I do or an engineer more about engineering or an accountant more about doing taxes, the usually very bright guys who are climatologists may know a thing or two about climate change themselves.

Well, except for the ones employed by the oil and coal companies that are worth between $75 and $87.5 trillion dollars worldwide, and would seem to have massive vested financial interest in ensuring people continue to use their products, even if it's bad for the world in general. You know, kind of like Big Tobacco was all about denying any sort of link between their product and cancer, even going so far as to claim as late as 1994 that "nicotine was not addictive"...at least until they finally got caught slipping impact boosters into the product to make it even more addictive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6B1q22R438

Jul 26, 2019, 2:43 PM

Instead of going green they are making the green, it’s cheaper to spray aluminum trails in the sky to cool the atmosphere than going green and taking their green and giving to the green companies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

here's another live science article for you

Jul 26, 2019, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: i remember when it was all about the ozone layer*** ]

https://www.livescience.com/62603-new-cfcs-enter-ozone-layer.html

Tobacco execs did exactly what their lawyers told them to say. If you want to smoke, by all means go ahead and smoke. If you don't want to then don't. If you are worried about your carbon footprint by all means don't reproduce which is the largest impact you can make on carbon reduction.

Jul 26, 2019, 3:47 PM [ in reply to i remember when it was all about the ozone layer*** ]

I still miss my right guard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Does any of the old timers remember the Global Cooling

Jul 26, 2019, 4:09 PM

I definitely remember because my dad said we could go hunt saber tooth tigers if they came back!

BTW, who decided that the global temp in 1978 was the absolute optimum? If 1978 were as warm as it now, but we had been cooling off to what the temperature actually was in 1978, do you think everyone would be rejoicing in our approach to a global optimization of temperature?
Or do you think we would have a bunch of gloom and doom stories of the impending disasters and deaths of crops and coral reefs due to the deathly cold oceans?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2019, 4:33 PM

The biggest problem is sea level. If it raises significantly because glacial ice sheets melt then we could be in a world of hurt because coastal cities all over the world - including New York, New Orleans, Charleston, most of Florida - could wind up underwater.

The other problem is that significant temp changes could create massively different weather patterns than the ones we see today. In particular warmer weather creates a lot more opportunity for hurricanes to appear; the concern is that we could see a lethal combo of low pressure and high temps, resulting in far bigger storms, far more storms, and maybe even the creation of permanent storm systems that never dissipate or are constantly spinning off "daughter" storms of their own.

That sounds...problematic.

Climatologists are torn on how bad it might get, but something almost all of them agree on - well, at least the ones who aren't ultimately funded by BP or Exxon - agree that it's going to be pretty durn bad.

The belief is that the extreme weather - extremes of both drought and flooding that's been disrupting crops in Central America and causing the economic woes driving the current refugee crisis - is probably the first major signs of that.

Jul 26, 2019, 5:46 PM

As a civil/environmental guy, I believe fresh raw water supplies will dwindle to critical. In fact, it’s already happening in certain regions.
I’ve seen it with my own eyes, backpacking to various headwaters along the continental divide over the past 15 years.

That said, I probably don’t have too many years left in this body of mine. I should have been a goner twice already.

I wish the younger generations all the best, I really do. I played my little role in the machine as best I could.

2024 free_orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing happening today is new...

Jul 26, 2019, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Does any of the old timers remember the Global Cooling ]

It's all happened before, but we were't witness to it. We ask what happens when a tree fall in the forest, or a bear takes a dump...and say, yes, there's a crashing sound and, yes, it stinks. But anything new today, we act as if it hasn't happened before. Why? $$$

If you need a bunch of cigarette execs to convince you smoking is safe/harmful...you need more help than you can imagine. Other species eat meat...we eat meat. Other species eat veggies...some of us eat veggies... ;)

I don't see any other species smoking.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what's new is that 7 billion people now inhabit the earth

Jul 26, 2019, 5:56 PM

and the population is always growing, most quickly in the poorest areas of the world. More humans means more competition for resources and more potentially catastrophic disasters if things like major hurricanes, typhoons and sea water level rising occurs.

Well, Florida was submerged before...

Jul 26, 2019, 6:12 PM

And Greenland was green. Is there a reason it can't happen again...whether we exist...or not?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

scientist determined that the perfect temperature occured

Jul 26, 2019, 6:14 PM

about 10 years ago, and we should do what ever we can to keep it from changing

And your other 2 sources... to support this ONE paper?

Jul 29, 2019, 8:58 PM

Otherwise, this is just a whackjobs opinion.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Jul 26, 2019, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Does any of the old timers remember the Global Cooling ]

So like how the planer was destroyed after medieval warm period? Or the vicious winters the pilgrims faced?
Maybe all this warming is the result of our coming out of the most recent real ice age.

Ever wonder how many of the politicians claiming the dangers of rising sea levels have ocean front property?

Ever wonder why it’s only the Big Oil scientists corrupted by money and not the ones who depend on grant money to study impending doom?

Since China is the world’s largest creator of CO2 emissions, should we as the rest of the species seriously consider declaring war against them as they are destroying the only home we have?

How does the total greenhouse emissions of termites compare to that of humans?

Why are all the predictions of ultimate doom or the point of no return always 10 years in the future?

How does water vapor increase from global warming and its effect on albedo serve as a counterbalance to other factors?

Jul 26, 2019, 6:13 PM

I definitely remember the coming ice age around 1970. I was a young married mom with a new baby and they had me scared to death. I checked out a popular science or popular mechanics magazine that had an article about how to build a solar heater. It was a desperate situation. Then we had the gas shortage that I've tried to describe to my kids. At night not a single Street light was burning in Greenville. All malls closed around 5. pm in winter and no parking lot lights. You only drove when necessary to avoid sitting in blocks long line. We had a recession then we had inflammation with 18% interest rate on home mortgages. Sheesh!

Jul 29, 2019, 3:05 PM

Myth busted

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2008BAMS2370.1

And your other 2 sources... to support this ONE paper?

Jul 29, 2019, 9:00 PM

Otherwise, this is just a whackjobs opinion.

-Doc

Re: And your other 2 sources... to support this ONE paper?

Jul 30, 2019, 6:38 AM

Yes, all of your posts are whackjob opinions. Lol

Waiting on further proof...

Jul 30, 2019, 7:26 AM

-Doc Tesla

Re: Waiting on further proof...

Jul 30, 2019, 9:59 AM

I posted a peer reviewed paper. Do you understand how those work? They have tons of citations.

You never went to college, did you?

But of course you know I could post 3. Or 7. Or 200. Just tell me what game you're playing.

Peer reviewed means bias, Little One

Jul 30, 2019, 9:59 PM

They all see interest in supporting the subject. Peer reviewed is not a non-advocate reviwer. Bug meets windshield.

Get off your girlyass and provide me another TWO sources.

I've even seen some of these papers presented in person. Presenters busted for plagiarism or blatantly stealing someone elses work.

Get off your girlyass and provide me another TWO or 3 or 7 or 200 sources. Your game is stalling tactics.

You ain't gotshit. Everybody has googled and found nothing else.

-Doc

LOL you bite on an Propaganda that you wanna believe

Jul 31, 2019, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Waiting on further proof... ]

https://medium.com/@qwertie/1970s-agw-consensus-3123a34e5105

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/11/19/the-1970s-global-cooling-consensus-was-not-a-myth/

Now here's one organization BIASED to your fuckheaded side Little Lady:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/01/the-global-cooling-myth/

General conclusion: Inconclusive.

Otherwise, stick with problems you can manage, Little Girl:

1) Pimples on your chin
2) Razor burns on your legs

-PhD

yeah, I remember, and a bunch of other nightmares

Jul 29, 2019, 8:04 PM

the chronic fearmongers on this board would have loved growing up in the '70's-'80's, there was so many whoppers out there to keep them "woke".

Ice Age coming, frozen rivers, icebergs in the Great Lakes. We know now it wasn't real, but that didn't mean the TV people and our teachers didn't scare us to death that it was coming back then. It was Science!! I vividly remember a documentary that Spock (L. Nimoy) narrated about it. As an impressionable youth (like some of you today) I bought every word of it.

Imminence of WWIII. USSR nuclear attack practice, hiding under desks and running down to bomb shelters in school. Olympic boycotts, hijacked planes, hostages, all kinds of chaos. Didn't amount to anything.

President Jimmy Carter said the world would run out of oil by the year 2000 (look it up) - Rations for gas, you could only get gas on odd/even days, gas station lines a mile long. I was convinced we wouldn't have cars when I was an adult. Somehow, we avoided that catastrophe too.

Killer Bees were quickly migrating north and would be all over the USA in less than a decade. Or not.

That O-Zone hole that deodorants and hairspray CFCs cause was gonna doom the Earth in just a few years. We're beyond the point of no return! Plus, we have about 10 years worth of food and fresh water left in the world!! Rain forests! Acid rain! We're going extinct!! Uhhhhh, still waiting on that.

Ronald Reagan - boy, was he was Hitler incarnate. Fascist Nazi who was gonna kill your grandma. Maybe he was even the biblical Anti-Christ! But for some reason, turns out he wasn't. Oops.

Geez.

Today, same stuff with different names. Global warming, world ends in 12 years. Nazi white supremacist president. Race wars. Yawn. I don't believe any of this crap and if you had the gift of perspective, you wouldn't either. One thing you notice about the world as you watch it go by is that there's never a shortage of the gullible. I spent my time as a sucker, your turn now. You folks that wake up angry and go to bed in a rage, y'all can all sweat it out for me now. I'm too busy enjoying this wonderful life. One day you'll realize how dumb you look to the rest of us.

Re: yeah, I remember, and a bunch of other nightmares

Jul 31, 2019, 12:40 PM

If you do not think for one second that the majority of the GOP members in our senate know that Man made climate change is a real thing, but are not allowed to utter a word about so they can keep their jobs, then it is you that is the naive fool. Even George W Bush admitted to it on his way out the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdsxrYfPNi8

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2019, 2:54 AM

Aliens? Russians? White people? Threats abound!

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic