Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does a 2-loss UGA make playoff over 2 1-loss SEC West teams?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Does a 2-loss UGA make playoff over 2 1-loss SEC West teams?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:28 AM

For example, say both Mississippi schools win out until the egg bowl. The winner goes to face UGA and loses in the SECCG. Prior to reaching the SECCG, UGA loses to Auburn. So you have UGA as SEC champ with two losses and both Mississippi schools with one loss each.

Who goes to the playoff?

This and many other interesting scenarios could play out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And before you tell me, I understand this has nothing to do

Oct 21, 2014, 10:29 AM

with Clemson football.

TIA

I don't think we can know that right now.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:43 AM

It seems to me until all the regular season games are played and a true SOS, W/L record head to head comparison and conference champs are determined speculation is worth nothing more than entertainment. All that being said, an SEC champ would be included even with two losses depending on the other big conferences and how their champion's fared.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does a 2-loss UGA make playoff over 2 1-loss SEC West teams?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:34 AM

if we dont go I pretty much dont care except that I want to see Saban not be able to talk his underserving way in like he has in the BCS

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Oct 21, 2014, 10:34 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So the 1-loss non conference winners both go and

Oct 21, 2014, 10:36 AM

the 2-loss SEC champ gets left out?

IMO......no

Oct 21, 2014, 10:35 AM

at that point i would think you look at who you lost to

assuming your scenario plays out Miss/MSU has 1 loss to top 5/10 team......the other will have 1 loss to top 5/10 team, but UGA has 2 losses.......one of which is a "bad loss"

If you lose 2 games you SHOULD be eliminated completely...........unless there are only 3 teams with 1 or fewer losses.

here's the problem...

Oct 21, 2014, 10:37 AM

let's say, in that scenario, ole miss beats msu, but looses SECCG to a 2 loss UGA

if you don't take UGA, and you tell msu... "well, ole miss beat you, so they're in"

hell, but UGA just beat Ole Miss to win the SEC.... can't go both ways

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

yes but UGA has A. 2 losses......and B. a "bad loss" to SCar

Oct 21, 2014, 10:38 AM

who is (and im assuming).....unranked

agreed... but i'm just not sure about going down that road..

Oct 21, 2014, 10:43 AM

cause then you open yourself up to all kinds of stuff... like who's playing better at the time, etc..

what if it's like Clemson, who's only two losses came in the first 3, on the road, to both ACC and SEC champs... but no one in the nation is playing as well as us

lots of scenarios

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

oh i see what you are saying, BUT......imo......

Oct 21, 2014, 10:46 AM

regardless of what team we are talking about........you have to play well the entire season......a true championship team should theoretically play well all the time.........and even if you don't play well.........you should at least keep winning (see FSU)

Then the purists would argue the conference championship

Oct 21, 2014, 10:40 AM [ in reply to IMO......no ]

was rendered meaningless by the playoff.

I still like the playoff, but those critics would be vindicated.

correct........i think the playoffs render the........

Oct 21, 2014, 10:42 AM

regular season somewhat meaningless when/if you go to a 8-16 team playoff..........but that's jmo and that's an argument for another day.

That's why I think they keep it at four teams

Oct 21, 2014, 10:50 AM

under the selection committee.

The only way they could go to eight is if five auto bids for the conference champs and three at- large bids.

Re: IMO......no

Oct 21, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to IMO......no ]

LSU won a National Championship with two losses. Every year people look at the schedule and assume the team that's favored to win will win and come up with these scenarios. The PAC-12, Big 12 and SECW all look like they'll beat each other up and this year ends with at least one two loss team in the playoff.

Sticking with the original question, I don't see any way the committee doesn't take the SEC champ, the media just love the SEC too much. In that scenario where the SECW team goes in with 0 losses and/or there is another one loss SECW team, the SEC probably gets a second team in the playoff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what about this scenario:

Oct 21, 2014, 10:38 AM

FSU finishes 13-0, ACC Champs and #1 ranked
UGA blows through the rest of the season and finishes 12-1, SEC Champs and #2 ranked.

Could happen.

Clemson finishes 10-2, only losses are to #1 and #2 on the road.

That could result in not just one but two rematches.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:49 AM

I think the committee would assume that Clemson has already had a shot at both these teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what about this scenario:

Oct 21, 2014, 11:11 AM [ in reply to what about this scenario: ]

No great wins and FSU was without Winston would be their argument.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good one. Tough call.***

Oct 21, 2014, 10:41 AM

Re: Does a 2-loss UGA make playoff over 2 1-loss SEC West teams?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM

Whom ever is the conference champs go to the playoffs. If you don't pick conference champs why play the championship games?

That's not how it is set up....

Oct 21, 2014, 10:52 AM

The selection committee could easily send both Mississippi schools to the playoff and leave UGA out under my scenario.

Nothing to stop them. They would simply say, "Both Mississippi schools played a tougher schedule and only had one loss."

that makes the regular season pointless......

Oct 21, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Does a 2-loss UGA make playoff over 2 1-loss SEC West teams? ]

have to look at the entire body of work.......not just whether a team got up for ONE game in the conference championship from a division that was pathetic.

i say that in the instance where last year THEORETICALLY FSU played a bad GT team in the ACCCG who did nothing in the regular season but won the division by virtually default.........had they won that ONE game in your scenario they go to the playoffs UNDERSERVING imo

same with this year in the SEC........the east champion could theoretically have 3 losses and sneak up on the WEST team that is the best division in college football currently.........they wouldn't "deserve it"

not last year 2 years ago........duke was last year***

Oct 21, 2014, 10:58 AM

Re: No way. They lost to S. Carolina.***

Oct 21, 2014, 10:51 AM

I think Georgia goes in that scenario

but if it's an extremely close game maybe the loser also makes it on the other side of the bracket.

UGA would go, imo.***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've posted several times that if uga

Oct 21, 2014, 10:53 AM

Wins the sec, there will be 2 sec teams in the playoffs.
Uga earned the right to trump a west team by winning their conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I've posted several times that if uga

Oct 21, 2014, 11:02 AM

What happens if UGA wins the SEC with 3 losses?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's why conference champion shouldn't be the "end all"

Oct 21, 2014, 11:06 AM

it has to be the entire body of work throughout the ENTIRE season

im not going to say what should happen. . I'm

Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 AM

Telling you what will happen if a 1 loss uga wins the sec.

They will put them in the playoffs with a 1 loss sec west team.

I think some of you guys put to Much faith in these committee folks or don't realize the impact the media has on thier opinion.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

This thread is a flustercluck.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:58 AM

As much fun as it is to argue it's impossible to view this through the eyes of the committee members who will have the final information on every team including a reasonably accurate SOS and a poll they have already generated.

Everyone who participated in this thread has made valid points but the lack of information and the temptation to consider the current poll rankings overwhelms reason.

I do not think four SEC teams belong in the top five. That defies all reason and logic and corrupts any conversation. Preseason rankings my ###.

Xactly! +1 for "flustercluck"... Precise description....***

Oct 21, 2014, 11:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

95 % of the stuff posted here is flustercluck.

Oct 21, 2014, 11:30 AM [ in reply to This thread is a flustercluck. ]

Including this made up stat.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic