Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Auburn seem that similar to Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 801

Does Auburn seem that similar to Clemson?

Sep 10, 2017, 4:48 AM

I see and hear a lot of Auburn people say Clemson's campus is a copy of Auburn's campus.

I looked on Google maps street view and I don't think they look similar outside of they both have a clock tower building.

It seems like it must be a confirmation bias thing based on the teams sharing a mascot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Auburn seem that similar to Clemson?

Sep 10, 2017, 5:47 AM

It's more than the architecture. The two schools are not identical, but there is great similarity in the culture and feel of the campuses.

there are certain places on Auburns campus

Sep 10, 2017, 9:07 AM

That if you look down at the sidewalk and up at some of the buildings, you wouldn't know that you weren't in Clemson. The whole campus isn't a carbon copy but it did seem to be a very similar feel to me.

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

Most of that came from Lewis Grizzard

Sep 10, 2017, 9:13 AM

the late, great AJC columnist, author and more or less stand up comedian.

He was a huge Georgia fan who never missed a chance to take a dig at Auburn and Clemson because they were both major rivals of Georgia at the time. He's the one who came up with "Clemson is Auburn with a lake and Auburn is Clemson without a lake"

However there are many historical similarities. Many of our early administrators and professors were either educated or taught at Auburn before coming to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of that came from Lewis Grizzard

Sep 10, 2017, 12:19 PM

I am only talking about the campus. I've seen people say Clemson's is a copy of Auburn's campus and city.

I don't think they look alike or have a similar feel.

Clemson has more trees, bigger trees. Clemson is more hilly, near the mountains and adjacent to a lake. I would say from a scenery standpoint, Athens is the closest one to Clemson in SEC.

Auburn's campus has a street grid layout. It has a ton of ugly bollards between sidewalks and roads.

Clemson has a large reflection pool, Auburn doesn't have any fountain or reflection pool.

The architecture of most of the buildings is different.

Clemson sells its own icecream, Auburn does not.

Auburn has a mall and big box stores in town.

Clemson has a historical drillfield, Auburn doesn't. Miss State is the only SEC school with a drillfield and I think the architecture at Miss State is more similar to Clemson's.

Both have clock tower buildings but numerous other colleges have clock tower buildings designed by thesame architecture firm. I think Tech Tower at Georgia Tech looks more similar to Tillman than Samford Hall at Auburn although Tech Tower doesn't have a clock in it.

The size of downtown Auburn and Clemson is pretty similar, plus both downtowns are immediately adjacent to the historical core of their campus.

I would say Virginia Tech and UVA are the two most similar in feel to Clemson due to proximity to Blue Ridge. VT has a drillfield, in western part of its state 10 miles or so off the interstate, and about 45 minutes from a larger city Roanoke like Greenville's location relative to Greenville. The limestone architecture at VT is obviously a lot different from Clemson's and I think UVA is more similar to Clemson from an architecture standpoint outside of the lawn area. UVA is also more wooded like Clemson compared to Virginia Tech. Both UVA and Clemson are associated with historical figures, Jefferson and Calhoun.

Wisconsin and Washington are the only two large public universities next to a lake other than Clemson that I know but otherwise not similar to Clemson.

Re: Not Even Close

Sep 10, 2017, 1:09 PM

The geographic center of the Aw-burn campus is the football stadium. Clemson's center of campus is academic, with dorms surrounding, then athletics. Well thought out.

You're right. A totally different feel. Also, if you see a fellow student in an Aw-burn shirt you say, "War Eagle" and they reply the same. Hmm, I guess bamer must have copied them with roll tide. lol

Also, flat, boringly flat, and hot, hot, hot. I might add Clemson's food service is worlds ahead. Auburn only has fast food junk throughout the campus. No dinning hall (have you seen ours lately). The only "healthy" option is Panara Bread. lol

Sep 10, 2017, 3:09 PM

> The geographic center of the Aw-burn campus is the
> football stadium. Clemson's center of campus is
> academic, with dorms surrounding, then athletics.
> Well thought out.
>
> You're right. A totally different feel. Also, if
> you see a fellow student in an Aw-burn shirt you say,
> "War Eagle" and they reply the same. Hmm, I guess
> bamer must have copied them with roll tide. lol
>
> Also, flat, boringly flat, and hot, hot, hot. I
> might add Clemson's food service is worlds ahead.
> Auburn only has fast food junk throughout the
> e campus. No dinning hall (have you seen ours
> lately). The only "healthy" option is Panara Bread.
> lol

Auburn has at least two dining halls.

There is also a farm to table restaurant on campus that is only certified gluten free restaurant at a university.

Sep 12, 2017, 8:24 AM

News to me. Our son went on a campus tour in 2013 and the tour leader didn't know about the dining halls when questioned ????

BTW, he didn't like it there and hated the "War Eagle" crap. lol

Sep 12, 2017, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Not Even Close ]

By the way, not disputing your facts, just pointing out the 'quality' of their campus tours.

Actually, it's patterned after Miss St

Sep 10, 2017, 1:26 PM

As much as I hate to admit it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Sep 10, 2017, 1:32 PM

Ive been to Auburn half a dozen times and they have a similar general vibe as well as sharing many architectural elements as others have pointed out. Both Auburn and Clemson's older buildings were designed by the same individual(s).

Just take a look at their signature hall. Looks a lot like Tillman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2017, 2:55 PM

I mentioned that in a previous post.

That is one building and there are a lot of universities with a clock tower type building. As I said, I think Tillman looks more like Tech Tower at G Tech.

Not really.

Sep 10, 2017, 1:46 PM

Aside from the fact that both have a similar looking clock tower, and that both have agricultural roots located in historically rural areas, there aren't really any similarities. Some of our early football coaches and administrators came from Auburn, and one of the theories as to the origin of our tiger mascot is that it was brought from Auburn.

The similarities really end there. Lewis Grizzard called Clemson "Auburn with a lake," but the look and feel of the campuses and towns are not similar at all in my opinion. Any similarity probably lies in the fact that the schools were founded in the same era.

Today, Clemson's academics are far superior to Auburn's, and our campus and college town, while quaint, is technically suburban these days as opposed to Auburn is still decidedly rural. We have significantly less enrollment than Auburn, by about 10,000 students. Moreover, our campus is hillier due to being in the foothills, and theirs is flatter due to being on the plains.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Not really.

Sep 10, 2017, 3:01 PM

>
> Today, Clemson's academics are far superior to
> Auburn's, and our campus and college town, while
> quaint, is technically suburban these days as opposed
> to Auburn is still decidedly rural. We have
> significantly less enrollment than Auburn, by about
> 10,000 students. Moreover, our campus is hillier due
> to being in the foothills, and theirs is flatter due
> to being on the plains.

I don't agree Clemson's academics are superior to Auburn. All these large state universities are the same. Auburn has a great reputation in engineering and architecture.

Auburn is more urban than Clemson. I wouldn't call Clemson a suburb. There are not a large number of people living in Clemson that commute to another city for work.

clemson is designed after Miss State

Sep 10, 2017, 2:15 PM

Not auburn.

Re: clemson is designed after Miss State

Sep 10, 2017, 2:58 PM

> Not auburn.

Thomas Clemson wanted Clemson modeled after MSU academically, because it was an agricultural college. It didn't have anything to do with its campus.

Auburn started out as a teaching college, which were called normal schools.

Replies: 15
| visibility 801
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic