Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you remember .....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,449

Do you remember .....

Mar 12, 2013, 11:10 AM

in the 80's when Clemson was having major problems with the NCAA and many of us said "everyone's doing it"? I clearly remember how my friends from Chapel Hill reacted to that statement. Now, as they are becoming more and more involved in scandal, that is their response. Unfortunately for them, no one else has bent the rules quite like they have. I suspect that before the month is out, the basketball team will be included in this also.
My only regret is that Jim Lampley isn't around to 'defend' them. I would love to know what his take on this situation is now. He's probably in jail somewhere but I bet he is following the investigation of his sacred alma mater!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No I wasn't born yet.***

Mar 12, 2013, 11:15 AM

Re: No I wasn't born yet.***?????

Mar 12, 2013, 11:19 AM

If you mean that you were not born at the time of these events then you missed a great era of Clemson football. Lampley was a guy you would love to hate!!!

That is what I meant.

Mar 12, 2013, 3:52 PM

Trust me. I wish I was alive in 1981.

Re: That is what I meant.

Mar 12, 2013, 4:32 PM

I wish you had been able to see those Tigers, but I am glad that you are in your 20's because you can enjoy them for many years to come. I envy your youth. GO TIGERS!

Re: Do you remember .....

Mar 12, 2013, 11:27 AM

...when we fell in love....we were..young and innocent then.

Those were the days my friend.........***

Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 12, 2013, 11:31 AM

Your President Nixon?
Do you remember the bills you have to pay?
Or even yesterday?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Young Americans we ain't.***

Mar 12, 2013, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember those days well. I seriously doubt that anything

Mar 12, 2013, 11:41 AM

will come down on UNC because they seem to have a "free pass" so no wonder they feel like they are better than anyone else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SCar got away with worse than what we got hit with***

Mar 12, 2013, 12:18 PM

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY IN TODAYS GAME***

Mar 12, 2013, 12:29 PM

UNC learned from the mistakes made by the "everybodys

Mar 12, 2013, 1:29 PM

doing it" 80's teams. They hired Black Santa to funnel money to their players via agents. Back in the '80s, the assistant coaches just handed the money to recruits.

They paid players and gave out good grades from bogus classes. Their penalty? Sit out 1, uno, one bowl game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember it well. So true. I was at '81 game when Lampley.

Mar 12, 2013, 1:37 PM

broke his story....typical tar hole....worm has turned and their smugness isn't going to wiggle out of this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait...you had friends in chapel he!! ?***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:36 PM

Mar 12, 2013, 3:23 PM

the 21st night of September?

No matter what the NCAA does or does not do to UNC...

Mar 12, 2013, 3:58 PM

They are now and forever "cheaters".

Re: No matter what the NCAA does or does not do to UNC...

Mar 12, 2013, 4:18 PM

When I think of how awful it was in those times allowing these people to talk in such a negative way about Clemson and really believing that we didn't play by the rules and now see what those same characters are saying about their hallowed university makes me sick. Clemson got hammered for buying a few t shirts and caps and a few lunches at Hardees and now we learn that the tarheels have been accepting large sums of money, jewelry, trips and wild parties that add up to the thousands and thousands of dollars while claiming to be one of Americas great academic universities is more than I can handle. Clemson was penalized for allowing a player to use a coaches car to visit his ailing mother in the hospital while the heels go to expensive parties in Miami Beach at the expense of agents and nothing is done about it; I could go on for hours but you all know the story. And to make matters worse, it is NEVER mentioned on t.v. sports shows. Lampley made a career of bashing Clemson nightly.

Re: Re: Do you remember .....

Mar 12, 2013, 5:13 PM

That was me. And not on purpose..... Scrolling on phone and touched td....oops will get you a tu later

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

You just mention the "gifts"

Mar 12, 2013, 5:16 PM

IMHO the academic fraud is far far worse

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I'll tell you, FT....That entire fiasco during which the ACC

Mar 13, 2013, 7:40 AM

tacked on the additional penalties to CU is the reason why so many of us older Tigers have had it in for that crowd ever since. In fact there was a movement within the Clemson family to tell those so-and-so's what they could do with their conference.

Now, I've taken the attitude that our younger grads and fans should have their say about our affiliation, as they will have to live with decisions longer than I. Yet, there is no doubt in my mind to which conference we would be affiliated, were the decision left to me...which may well be precisely why others will make that decision. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I remember--UNC is still my least favorite ACC team

Mar 15, 2013, 4:00 PM

I hope somehow that they have to pay for all they have done. Scandalous doesn't begin to describe their athletics. What was done here in the 80's is but a drop in the bucket compared to their shameful mess.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,449
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic