Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One major problem with American culture is...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

One major problem with American culture is...

Sep 3, 2020, 10:52 AM

our cognitive dissonance.

We know the stove is hot. Then we touch the red hot burner and complain that it burned us.

Look at our social media, TikTok for example.

Loads of videos with chicks in bikinis doing suggestive dances with explicit lyrics who then complain about objectifying women.

Then take the songs. In the middle of a struggle over injustice and racism, try to sing the songs people are dancing to: "Tap, tap, tap, tap in...wrist on glitter...waist on thinner...I'ma show you how to bag an 8 figure......"

Glad I'm not a kid growing up today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One major problem with American culture is...

Sep 3, 2020, 11:01 AM

So what you're saying is you spend a lot of time watching girls in bikinis dance on TikTok?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes***

Sep 3, 2020, 11:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?***

Sep 3, 2020, 11:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: link?***

Sep 3, 2020, 11:06 AM

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJS2WKKu/

Thanks for being a dedicated researcher.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to yes*** ]

San Fran needs more men like you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for being a dedicated researcher.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:09 AM

obviously the only response is an attempt at a "gotcha" from one of the worst tnetters I recall

Do you have the same gym playlist as me? Good song.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-fQkd6ZUQ

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nah....***

Sep 3, 2020, 11:11 AM

Sep 3, 2020, 11:08 AM

Or like chicks that want equal pay at work, but want guys to pay for everything outside of work. Anyway, as far as women dressing a certain way and then not wanting to be seen as objects, I think Dave Chapelle sums it up well in this short clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QNw1LRJv4

I know, right?

Sep 3, 2020, 11:39 AM

Woman want equality, but they can't take punch. What gives?

You're bound to have diversity in a country of 300M people.***

Sep 3, 2020, 11:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

India says hi...

Sep 3, 2020, 11:21 AM

and China says hold my beer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand the point...

Sep 3, 2020, 11:21 AM [ in reply to You're bound to have diversity in a country of 300M people.*** ]

what does that have to do with diversity?

I'm not even talking morality here. I'm talking about doing things that lead to obvious consequences or confusions and then complaining about those consequences and confusions.

I think you're describing diversity and not dissonance.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:30 AM

The people who are objectifying women, for example, aren't typically the ones complaining that people are objectifying women.

It only looks like cognitive dissonance if you view the country as a monolith full of contradictions instead of a country with diverse values, attitudes, and perceptions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you're describing diversity and not dissonance.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:42 AM

I see what you’re saying about dissonance. Obviously, the people who are objectifying aren’t complaining about objectifying.

I’m speaking of societal norms that are broadly accepted. Culture accepts these videos where girls are presenting themselves as objects (unless they are only promoting their dancing abilities, which could be done wearing clothes). Culture also rejects the objectifying of women. I see that as dissonance in the culture.

Same reason Donald Trump calls people childish names and gets upset when people push back.

Same reason Nancy thinks it’s okay to go into closed businesses herself to get her hair done.

Those two, as you say, are dissonance on a personal level, but it seems to permeate our culture on all levels.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:42 AM

Problems with American culture:

The internet age and social media. The truth is only what you feel. Expertise and authority don’t matter as much as the number of twitter followers. Idiots have a platform and their opinions go unchecked. Everyone is an expert in everything.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic