Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lutz @ yesterday's camping thread
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 767

Lutz @ yesterday's camping thread

Dec 12, 2018, 2:07 PM

tokillagamecock® handed out a few TDs to people making fun of him.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who the #### wants to sleep on the..............

Dec 12, 2018, 2:14 PM

ground anyway when there's a thing called a bed. (or Lazy Boy)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my camping bed is from Jay at Engineered Sleep

Dec 12, 2018, 2:28 PM

in my CAMPER!

Was so comfortable, we got the one in the house replaced with an exact (larger) replica.

I aint sleepin on the cold cold ground

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I spend a lot of money on a house to NOT sleep outside***

Dec 12, 2018, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Who the #### wants to sleep on the.............. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah...I'd get about a dozen or so steps into that hike

Dec 12, 2018, 3:20 PM

before I called it quits. Two cases of beer is heavy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crack.

Dec 13, 2018, 9:41 AM

You can ALWAYS carry enough crack to get you through a weekend hike without overburdening your load out gear.

RH TIG OUTDOOR TIP #374

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't take much to ruffle his feathers

Dec 12, 2018, 2:18 PM

could you imagine being around him in real life

in the snow?***

Dec 12, 2018, 2:38 PM

I could care less what the weather is***

Dec 12, 2018, 2:39 PM

1 hour later-how much less?***

Dec 12, 2018, 3:39 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 3:42 PM

He could care 7 less.

The real outdoorsy type people are usually super serious

Dec 12, 2018, 3:28 PM [ in reply to It doesn't take much to ruffle his feathers ]

about it. I am reminded of this every time I go into REI for flip flops, I'm not sure they're actually enjoying their chosen leisure activities.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

unfortunately, most "hobbies" have those people

Dec 12, 2018, 3:45 PM

people can really #### up having a good time.

Hey what are you doing?

Sitting by the lake drinking a beer. ALONE

Well if you arent sitting on a $400 yeti barkalounger with the add on gazebo (it only weight 13 oz) , drinking your drink out of this space shuttle aluminum mug with dry ice refrigerant while propping your feet up on this titanium ottoman the you dont know #### about relaxing man. I am gonna get all of my bros over here to taunt and ridicule you until you succumb to our tribe mentality.

#### it I am going home.

Bicycle shops.

Dec 12, 2018, 4:46 PM

Been to one lately?

They have the $5000 carbon fiber super bikes up front for all the cycling geeks in their grape smugglers and their too tight soccer shirts..and then everything else for the rest of us behind that.

I walk in and they are already looking down their noses at me because I laughed at the cost of a carbon fiber wheel or something. I just need something to ride home from the Shelter on a Sunday when I'm buzzed from cheap mimosas; so what'ya got?

Then they show me their $500 Chinese bicycles that don't look any better to me than the $110 Wal Mart specials. And all of them seem bothered by anyone just being in there.

show me on the doll where the bike shop touched you***

Dec 12, 2018, 4:50 PM

goatse.cs***

Dec 12, 2018, 4:55 PM

g o a t s e .cs was edited?

Dec 12, 2018, 4:55 PM

Wow. Old school edit

I can see why he's pretty sensitive about the situation.

Dec 12, 2018, 2:33 PM

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY AND RIGHTEOUS, THE MAN WAS NEARLY KILLED BY SNOWFLAKES.

He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel...

Dec 12, 2018, 3:45 PM

Instead he asked a bunch of rangers whom last time I checked are not weather men. Any fool could have watched the news and seen that area was gonna get at least a foot of snow and maybe 2.

I still find his 3-4 feet claim to be suspicious bc not one place reported that much snow from the storm.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its not like they make radios with special channels for THAT

Dec 12, 2018, 3:46 PM

come on man!

If some places got a foot of snow, I could mebbe see

Dec 12, 2018, 3:54 PM [ in reply to He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel... ]

where certain areas and valleys may have gotten drifts that high.

But overall, stupid. Just stupid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel...

Dec 12, 2018, 4:35 PM [ in reply to He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel... ]

Mountain-forecast.com, raysweather.com, and the Pisgah Ranger district all reported 4 inches max. Its easy to criticize in hindsight after everyone witnessed 18-36 inches of snow. But not a single weather forecast predicted that.

Just 12 to 5 miles to the West from Sylva to Highlands, they only received around 4 inches.
Lake Toxaway/Cashiers area is only 5 miles east of Highlands, and got 18 inches, and Panthertown Valley was sitting at 2-3 feet due to the snow drifts blowing in and settling in the valley. i take it you have never been to Panthertown.

We also were never in a life threatening situation at that time. Uncomfortable, yes, but not life threatening yet. It had the very real capability of turning into one, and was almsot a life threatening situation had we been stranded for another night. But we weren't. We prepared for the worst and out preparations were successful.

Regardless, some people enjoy nature and enjoy challenging themselves. Had we packed snowshoes, we probably would've gotten out. I have experience snowshoing in the Sierra Nevada and Banff in worse conditions, and did not require rescue. This was the first time I've ever needed one. We didnt rent any snowshoes because we were told it wouldnt snow enough to need them. Had we known, we would have used them.

Also, remember that had the Ranger station anticipated feet of snow, they would have closed the road to the valley and posted patrols who would have not allowed us to go hiking. It actually IS one of the job requirements of Forest Service Rangers to track the Weather. They coordinate with NOAA, and they have their own agents set up in remote lookouts throughout mountain ranges all over the US specifically to have eyeballs watching for weather fronts and wild fires. Had they known there would be that much snow, they would not have allowed us to hike. Bottom line. Panthertown actually closes regularly during inclement weather, at least 5 or 6 times a year. The fact they didnt close it is proof enough that even the officials in charge were not forecasting that much. There were also other backpackers in the valley with us. I dont know what became of them.

I live a very outdoorsy lifestyle. God created this beautiful world for us to explore and challenge ourselves, not sit on our ##### and waste away like couch potatoes scoffing at people who choose to live adventurous lives.

I'm not hear to ask for sympathy. Only to share an interesting experience I had, and to let other TNet hikers know there's a really good rescue crew out there they can rely on if they need assistance in the WNC mountains one day.

And yeah, I TD the people cracking jokes because some of the jabs gave me a good laugh. Though, you guys are off your game. No brokeback mountain jokes? I'm really disappointed in you guys.

Re: He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel...***

Dec 12, 2018, 4:37 PM

You aren't built for this place. Go back home.

Dec 12, 2018, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Re: He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel... ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/category/Tiger-Boards-8

Do you believe if you type it all out one more time

Dec 12, 2018, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Re: He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel... ]

we'll stop joshing you?

Re: Do you believe if you type it all out one more time

Dec 12, 2018, 4:44 PM

No, but that also wont stop me from explaining myself.

For crying out loud, at least insult me properly!

That is the insult.***

Dec 12, 2018, 4:45 PM

Aye! Joe.

Dec 12, 2018, 6:38 PM

Name fits. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As someone that lives an interesting outdoor lifestyle...

Dec 12, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Do you believe if you type it all out one more time ]

I've decided to go home and whittle a homemade spear with a stone knife, track and kill a mountain lion, skin it, cook it, and eat it on peta bread. Then I'll come back in the morning and mock you couch potato types.

Jokes on you... bc there are no mountain lions left in the smokies***

Dec 12, 2018, 5:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jokes on YOU b/c I live in Rock Hill.

Dec 13, 2018, 9:03 AM

Which is NOT the Smokies, it's a rock, on a hill.

What was it...1000 yards in 8 hours or something?

Dec 12, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel... ]

You could have crawled that far in that amount of time.

Just curious.....

Dec 12, 2018, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: He was almost killed bc he failed to check the weather channel... ]

You said you walked 4 miles in? Ok. So if you had stayed another night, what would have been life threatening? The shelter collapsing? Starvation? Dehydration since there was clearly no water around? Did your gear all get soaked and frozen in the shelter?

The way I see it, from your story I read yesterday, the only time you ended up in a life threatening situation was when you tried to trudge out and back to your car and got lost. I mean this IS SC/NC. Unless you were WAY high in the NC mountains, it's going to melt. In a day, two tops.

I have no doubt you made the right call to call in the rescue team when you got lost. Not sure leaving the shelter was the right call though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIVE MILES AWAY THEY HAD 3-4 INCHES OF SNOW***

Dec 12, 2018, 8:56 PM

He should have camped there.***

Dec 12, 2018, 9:01 PM

THATS MORE THAN 1000 FT AWAY!***

Dec 12, 2018, 9:10 PM

Replies: 35
| visibility 767
Archives - General Boards Archive