Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do we fans analyze and over-analyze so much that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,086

Do we fans analyze and over-analyze so much that

Oct 27, 2013, 6:31 PM

we can't enjoy being 7-1? For you thinkers and psychanalysts out there, I think about it too much and find myself wanting to be perfect in every phase of the game but then slap myself and say we are on our way to being no less than 9-2 and probably 10-1 going into the game with the Cooterville Peckerwoods, so why do I get so stressed out? I bet if we go back and look at stats, lines, etc. all through the glory years, we would be surprised. I wonder if our memories only include the great things. Now that we have 24/7 coverage, discussion, criticism and video, as much fun as that is, does it make college football too much of an emotional rollercoaster?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do we fans analyze and over-analyze so much that

Oct 27, 2013, 6:36 PM

Bluntly put, yes.

Had a former Clemson Linebacker, who played in the 80's,...

Oct 27, 2013, 6:37 PM

tell me that the defense would tell the offense just to score 14 points and they would handle the rest. And that is basically the way we won games during the Ford years. Run the ball to wear down the opposing team, then our defense would beat up on the other team. Back in the 80's we didn't have a bunch of games where we scored 40 plus points, and we didn't steam roll over everybody. Also, we didn't have games that were basically over at half.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:That is the way, it used to be played and wish that we

Oct 27, 2013, 6:44 PM

still did it that way but, now, we expect to run 90 to 100 plays and throw it all over the place. I, hope I live long enough to see a strong defense and kicking game with the three or four yards and a cloud of dust return.

4 yards and a clud of dust....

Oct 27, 2013, 6:59 PM

I doubt we will ever see those days again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

No you don't........

Oct 27, 2013, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re:That is the way, it used to be played and wish that we ]

Anyone that followed CU football back in the Ford years will tell you that the fans were very vocal about the lackluster, boring, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses that we used to run. Even the most conservative fans longed for some type of passing offense. It often translated to victories, but it also contributed to defeats at the hands of inferior opponents. It was not a come from behind offense. Fans will NEVER be happy but the old grind it out was NOT that fun to watch. It really looked archaic with the offenses of Bobby Bowden and Steve Spurrier, e.g., blowing great programs away.

Re: I still contend that you win with your line play and a

Oct 27, 2013, 7:50 PM

good kicking game. I will take it over this hurry up smoke and mirror stuff any day. I am not saying that it is more exciting. Fumbling and throwing the ball all over the place may be fun but it sure invites disastrous.

Re: Had a former Clemson Linebacker, who played in the 80's,...

Oct 27, 2013, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Had a former Clemson Linebacker, who played in the 80's,... ]

That's also how we lost games inexplicably in the 80s.

Other than 1981 season we lost a game we should not have every season.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

1000% spot on

Oct 27, 2013, 6:56 PM

our offense cost us a game in every single year, if not two games, during the decade of the '80's when we had defenses year after year that were savage dogs out for blood. The '89 team was the best team, talentwise, i've ever seen with a Paw on it's helmet. If we'd had half the offensive firepower on offense in '89 that we have today we'd be talking about the '89 team as the best in history. The '89 team would roll the '81 team and it would not be close. That team and the '90 team were absolutely loaded and our offense destroyed us when we lost.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep***

Oct 27, 2013, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Had a former Clemson Linebacker, who played in the 80's,... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Having attended, watched or listened to nealy 500 Clemson

Oct 27, 2013, 8:27 PM

games for the past 50 years, I've learned to take the wins and losses in stride, simply because we won't win every game we play. Naturally, I get upset when we lose or just play badly; I just don't agonize over it.

Virtually every Clemson coach I remember from Howard to Swinney has received withering criticism at times, including Danny Ford. The difference now, of course, is the social media. During my days at CU in the 60's, fans just griped verbally among each other.

Now, the whole world is watching and listening, so to speak, so the private griping of yesteryear has become a sound of fury upon a vast stage with much of it signifying nothing! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Air Rodney***

Oct 27, 2013, 9:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,086
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic