Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney says Tigers won't hesitate to call Watson's number in running situations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney says Tigers won't hesitate to call Watson's number in running situations

Jul 27, 2015, 3:13 PM

Swinney says Tigers won't hesitate to call Watson's number in running situations

Any time the Clemson offense faced a third-and-short over the past four seasons, there was no doubt in anyone’s mind who was going to get the football. Opposing defenses knew it. Fans knew it. The commentators knew it. We all knew it, and Dabo Swinney said on ESPN this morning that Clemson's won't hesitate to throw Deshaun Watson into the breach this season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney says Tigers won't hesitate to call Watson's number in running situations

Jul 27, 2015, 3:35 PM

People may not see it or recognize yet, but Dabo is changing the way a FB team should look at the big picture for there up coming season. You haven't done or accomplished nothing until you've had the chance to look back over your season after it's over. And when you look at it from that perspective, you can see how good or bad you were Saying what you should be has nothing to do with what you are. Do it first, then tell me about it....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo on defensive staff: "They are the best in the business"

Jul 27, 2015, 3:53 PM

Auburn ain't going to like that:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13250881/will-muschamp-auburn-tigers-top-defensive-mind-football-gus-malzahn-says

LOL

GO TIGERS!!!! That's the Clemson Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN: Mushchamp coaches South Carolina, idiots!***

Jul 27, 2015, 3:54 PM

Do not understand - with all our rb's and all his injuries??***

Jul 27, 2015, 4:11 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes sense to me to design runs for QB

Jul 27, 2015, 4:35 PM

I doubt they will call QB run that often. If you have a running strategy and a QB that can run, you'd be foolish to not use him. With so many RBs now you are right we don't need to as much as we did with Boyd. He still will need to run by design against better defenses. Can't take that option away or DCs will develop a strategy to make things more difficult for us.

Re: Makes sense to me to design runs for QB

Jul 27, 2015, 4:42 PM

Boyd had a better rb than anyone we have on the team now in Ellington. The qb run is part of our offense, plain and simple. It takes our offense to another level, makes it much harder for defenses to defend. I do agree that he doesn't have to run as much as boyd, but he still has to run.

Most of them are better power runners than Ellington, and a

Jul 27, 2015, 5:04 PM

couple may surpass him I hope? Definitely much more depth! SO RUN 'EM!

this - check it out Lex(get over your sour grapes)***

Jul 27, 2015, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Makes sense to me to design runs for QB ]

Re: this - check it out Lex(get over your sour grapes)***

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM

Sour grapes? I just think your an idiot. So I call u out on it. U really have no clue. I guess dabo and staff are dumb for wanting to run Watson. And u are so smart for wanting to take that dimension of the offense away. U should be our oc. Haha, moron.

Re: this - check it out Lex(get over your sour grapes)***

Jul 27, 2015, 5:24 PM [ in reply to this - check it out Lex(get over your sour grapes)*** ]

He's agreeing with me moron. He's just saying not to run him as much as before, which I agree with. U are a special kind of stupid.

Re: Makes sense to me to design runs for QB

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Makes sense to me to design runs for QB ]

Only when plays break down.

Re: Do not understand - with all our rb's and all his injuries??***

Jul 27, 2015, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Do not understand - with all our rb's and all his injuries??*** ]

Haha, big shocker there.

Lex -still shocked that I was right about Cole and win over

Jul 27, 2015, 4:57 PM

Oklahoma - get over it!

Jul 27, 2015, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Do not understand - with all our rb's and all his injuries??*** ]

We have to make defenses respect DW4 as a threat to run, even though I don't really see him on as many QB designed runs as we did with Chad Morris.. That has to be on the table to give them (opposing defenses) something else to worry about.....meanwhile, he will dissect them with his arm.

DW4 in 2015 is gonna be a blast to watch.

SPOT IT!

Hope you are right! GO TIGERS, WATSON FOR HEISMAN!***

Jul 27, 2015, 5:02 PM

Jul 27, 2015, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Do not understand - with all our rb's and all his injuries??*** ]

Personally I hope he (DW4) never has to run unless he has to run out of the pocket to by himself a few more seconds to find an open receiver to hit in full stride!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney says Tigers won't hesitate to call Watson's number in running situations

Jul 27, 2015, 4:54 PM

Let's hope the new OC's put an emphasis on the running game with our backs carrying the load. I'm not talking a Frank Howard offense but if we are ever going to win anything a nasty/physical running game is a must.

this - another intelligent poster Lex - wise up!***

Jul 27, 2015, 5:08 PM

Jul 28, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Tigers won't hesitate to call Watson's number in running situations ]

This is big boy Football. The size and strength is so much more today. Running QB with thin legs is not a good situation. We need to protect him or he will not be playing by October. NFL understands this and rules help out. College is not there yet.

Jul 27, 2015, 8:04 PM

Note to Dabo:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Also, tell Morris to line them up under center when on the opponent's 1-yard line. NOT IN THE SHOTGUN.

Jul 27, 2015, 8:15 PM

The main reason dabo and staff recruited DW is because he is a DUAL threat qb, and fits the Clemson offensive system perfectly. He has to run the ball for the system to work @ 100%. Its much more difficult for dc's to scheme against a dual threat qb. Injury's are part of the game. They happen. U can't play scared. Look at Oregon and mariotta, he ran all the time and never got hurt. Look at nick Marshall and auburn, another running qb that didn't get hurt. And they are both about the same size as DW.

Dabo and staff know what they're doing. They will have plays for DW to run and he is going to shred defenses and open up the pass. Then we will see how awesome this offense truly can be.

Ambivalent about the News Fellas

Jul 27, 2015, 9:02 PM

Mariota has proven to be MUCH MORE DURABLE than Deshaun Watson. And I hate to lose our talented QB for 1/2 our games this year. And I do not want Deshaun to lose out on his NFL future due to Clemson coaching play calls - he is not the same body type as Tajh and not as robust as Mariota at this stage of his young career. Watson will need to be very smart about when to go down and when to run out of bounds. Understanding that the injury in GaT game could be called a freak injury, based on the abuse he was taking on the entire series, it seemed a matter of when not if. Watson likely does not tear his ACL if he isn't under constant duress from GaT with run after run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ambivalent about the News Fellas

Jul 28, 2015, 12:48 AM

GT wasn't hitting him a lot prior to the injury.

Re: Ambivalent about the News Fellas

Jul 28, 2015, 3:44 PM

Really? Was he just falling down or running out of bounds on all of his carries?

Watch the tape ...they were killing him***

Jul 28, 2015, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Ambivalent about the News Fellas ]

We need to return the favor

Jul 28, 2015, 6:27 PM

Thomas should be smothered, covered and stewed every single freaking play. Why we don't put him on his (or any other GT QB) rear-end constantly, I'll never know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2015, 3:42 PM

I hope he proclaims his intention to run from the mountaintops and then calls very few QB runs. You don't put your Porsche in a demolition derby.

I thought we ran way too many QB runs with DW4 last year. If he runs that much this year, he'll get hurt again sooner rather than later.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic