Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do You Remember When?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Do You Remember When?

May 6, 2020, 12:44 PM

If we signed a 5***** recruit, he was a South Carolina resident.

If we signed one or two 4**** recruits we thought we were on fire.

We complained because our coaches never made an attempt to recruit the 5***** recruits.

We never ventured outside our limited recruiting area.

We had to brag about our 3*** recruits because we did not have any 4**** and 5***** recruits.

We were not a threat to the elites when it came to recruiting.

NOW, look at little Ole Clemson. We are among the elites and the Alabamas, Ohio States, Oklahomas, Georgas, Notre Dames and a few others have to go head to head with us in the recruiting game. I'm so happy I've lived long enough to witness this change. AMEN !

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen Joe, Amen!

May 6, 2020, 1:00 PM

Go Tigers AND Stay Well Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

This sounds like the "Fighting Gamecocks" and their........

May 6, 2020, 1:16 PM

recruiting strategy/success.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what cycling-in looks like in Slumbia.***

May 6, 2020, 2:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Do You Remember When?

May 6, 2020, 1:16 PM

The guys we get now were the type of one's we lost out on to the other big schools who offered them years ago. I still have to remind myself a kid with a big time offer list is very likely Clemson bound. We have even overcome our deadly lack of a Chik-fil-A handicap that used to sink our efforts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2020, 11:11 AM

WOW, are you saying that it still isn't a Chick-fil-A in Clemson. With all the 5 star players that our coaches are bringing to Clemson now, I thought that a Chick-fil-A had open up at every other red light in Clemson. I guess these FB kids are eating MO Cow these days ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2020, 1:27 PM

Remember that very well. It has not been that long ago when looking at a recruit's other offers the schools typically were NCSt, WF, GT, and even uofsc and occasionally FSU if he was local and really good (usually lost him to FSU).

The spiny was "we recruit to our needs". As you mentioned, now out main competition is AL, OSU, OK, LSU and a few other blue bloods.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2020, 2:28 PM

I remember in 1974 I had just graduated in Dec '73 and a friend and I were talking about our 7-4 season and not making a bowl game due ti bids going out really early, before we beat UNC 54-36, but we were recruiting steve Fuller, Jerry Butler, et al. I dont know if even Joe Terranova ranked classes back then but it was apparent something was beginning to happen.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Do You Remember When? ]

Dabo and staff recruit to our needs the same as our other coaches did, but Dabo and staff are filling our needs with 4 & 5 star recruits, unlike our other coaches not putting in the really hard work that it takes to get 4 & 5 star recruits to a school like a Clemson in the hills of a small laid back town. Dabo and his staff work really hard to get them to come, and when they get there, they get that feeling that there really is something special in those hills, and they want more of it, of that special feeling they get while at Clemson!!! Dabo knows that he just has to get there!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2020, 2:35 PM

I'm glad we were able to expand to a national recruiting base, especially since the local scene in SC has been pretty poor as of late.

May 6, 2020, 2:42 PM

Judge Keller was loving it back then!

I remember when

May 6, 2020, 3:16 PM

Tennessee, Penn State and ND got every kid that we recruited. Remember the Rice kid at ND? Coach Ford flipped out over him getting away. What Have those three done lately?

Re: I remember when

May 6, 2020, 3:27 PM

And Burris from Rock Hill. That was a real disappointment.

May 7, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Do You Remember When? ]

Was it because our football program took all the heat and left our BBall program alone?

not sure why you put uga. in there with the elites. they

May 7, 2020, 8:33 AM

are the only ones who does not have multiple national championships.

However, your post is accurate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2020, 10:14 AM

I remember when UGA would get the 5* RB's that we were trying to get. Oh wait...that was last year. My memory is getting better now that I'm so old. :)

"What do you mean 'Remember When'?" -South Carolina fans***

May 7, 2020, 10:16 AM

Best Is The Standard

Yes, I remember back when CJ Spiller committed

May 7, 2020, 10:53 AM

on signing day and back then we were so excited to get a 5* that you’d have thought we had won a championship.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, I remember back when CJ Spiller committed

May 7, 2020, 11:15 AM

Just think of what a hard battle we would have today if the equivalent of Levon Kirkland came along today.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic