Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Disolving undercarriage rust
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 2,649

Disolving undercarriage rust

Apr 26, 2020, 11:25 AM

I have used Ospho and Naval Jelly before .
Does anyone use another product and do you have a suggestion as to comparisons with one or the other(s) ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Disolving undercarriage rust

Apr 26, 2020, 11:27 AM

Usually a nice long shower and a bar of soap takes care of it for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 11:27 AM

Good morning Bloodbe-O !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 26, 2020, 11:30 AM

Top o the morning to you sir! Hope you are well!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Disolving undercarriage rust ]

If you don't have one of those detachable shower heads to really get up under there, ya ain't doing it right.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 11:30 AM

We call this Monkey Butt where I am from.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 11:31 AM

Anti-monkey butt is a fine product.

I looked up Naval Jelly out of curiosity,

Apr 26, 2020, 11:31 AM

I definitely will NOT be using this product on my under carriage.

Re: I looked up Naval Jelly out of curiosity,

Apr 26, 2020, 11:34 AM

It's gonna dissolve whatever you put it on ... is my understanding.

DB23

Apr 26, 2020, 11:35 AM

Does it work on cats? Mine has been pushing all of my buttons since this stay home order started.

Apr 26, 2020, 11:59 AM

Cats are great , until you bring one home

DB23

Apr 26, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: I looked up Naval Jelly out of curiosity, ]

There is a sea-man joke in here somewhere.

Apr 26, 2020, 12:31 PM

I was searching for a belly button joke

Only works on ships***

Apr 26, 2020, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I looked up Naval Jelly out of curiosity, ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If this jelly is good enough for sailors...

Apr 26, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to I looked up Naval Jelly out of curiosity, ]

I’ve probably already been in contact with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: If this jelly is good enough for sailors...

Apr 26, 2020, 6:42 PM

Get it looked at , even if it ain't itching .

DB23

Apr 26, 2020, 2:54 PM

Whatever you do, don't take the recommendations of TheRump. Headline from Forbes website:

"Calls To Poison Centers Spike After The President’s Comments About Using Disinfectants To Treat Coronavirus"

He is an idiot.

Apr 26, 2020, 5:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 26, 2020, 3:01 PM

Whatever you do, don't take the recommendations of TheRump. Headline from Forbes website:

"Calls To Poison Centers Spike After The President’s Comments About Using Disinfectants To Treat Coronavirus"

He is an idiot.

Apr 26, 2020, 3:07 PM

Too bad we don't have Joe, or Hillary, or Bernie to take care of this problem (or any problem). They always know the right thing to say and do.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 26, 2020, 3:34 PM

Somehow, I just can't see Joe, Hillary, or Bernie suggesting that bleach be injected into patient's bodies; or asking if there is a way to put UV lights in patient's lungs.

You have to admit Trump is clinically insane.

What's most disturbing, is that he has conned 38% of US voters into giving him a "pass" on all of his insanity and his illegal activities.

Saw an interesting article yesterday that said that Trump and FoxFakeNews have quietly stopped their recommendations to give patients hydroxyquinone and arithromycin due to the bad patient outcomes.

FoxFakeNews and Trump caught lying to you, again! Fauci told them not to recommend those drugs, but Trump wouldn't listen to his experts.

Remember when Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house?

Apr 26, 2020, 5:16 PM

That was awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 27, 2020, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Disolving undercarriage rust ]

If arrogant and snarky would kill it Old Hill would be great

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since you can't soak the whole thing (easily or cheaply

Apr 26, 2020, 4:25 PM

of course) your options are much more limited.

Naval Jelly or sand blasting.

I've used for the first time some non-acid products like https://www.wd40.com/products/rust-remover/

and I was actually surprised how well it worked but unfortunately it has to soak.

Apr 26, 2020, 5:03 PM

I've heard good things about rust converters:

https://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Converters-C10.aspx

Apr 26, 2020, 6:41 PM

We use rust converter and rust reformers on our tug but aside from stealing a quart I don't think I can get those at Wal Mart or Lowe's .
May be wrong , I will check it out.

DB23

Active ingredient in both of those is Phosphoric acid,

Apr 26, 2020, 6:54 PM

I do believe. So, that can also eat the metal itself. Caustic, or good old fashioned lye, will also dissolve rust, but takes longer, and must "soak". It will not eat steel, but it will completely dissolve aluminum, so beware of that. (Yes, there's a story there from LONG ago.) Caustic (NaOH) will also "pacify" the surface and keep new rust from forming for awhile. But, drawback is, surface must be completely cleaned , prepped after its use, or paint will not adhere.

My experience has been that its hard to beat good old fashioned sandblasting when it comes to heavy rust. But, it also has drawbacks. If you sandblast thin sheet metal, and get too close, or linger too long in one place, you will warp the heyall out of it. A commercial sandblaster warped (BADLY) the hood of a '68 Chevy shortbed truck I used to own. I was not happy.

Still, my recommendation would be:

Sandblast
Prime with Alkaline self etching primer (usually called "green etching primer)."
Skuff lightly with sandpaper to promote adhesion of next primer
Seal any joints with brush on seam sealer
Prime with high build epoxy primer
Apply primer / sealer
Apply topcoat

This may seem like overkill for an undercarriage, but it will last a LONG time before any rust rears its ugly head again. As an additional protection, 3M makes an excellent rubberized undercoating that can be applied over either primer or a topcoat. I did the underside of my '79 El Camino with this ~10 years ago, still looks like new up under there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Active ingredient in both of those is Phosphoric acid,

Apr 26, 2020, 7:01 PM

This is good stuff. Thanks 76

DB23

Re: Active ingredient in both of those is Phosphoric acid,

Apr 27, 2020, 9:02 AM

I worked weekends in an Auto Restoration shop a few years back, and learned a lot of useful things. The owner was a master at his craft, but a turribel businessman. Unfortunately, he died of a massive heart attack at age 60, and the shop went out of business. The procedure I outlined for you is what his shop used to do to undercarriages. Overkill to be sure. I asked him once why he took such pains with something that hardly anyone would ever see. His answer stuck with me. "I will know it's there." And, as I got further into the old car hobby, I found out that people actually do plant mirrors all over the ground under their cars at major shows, showing off the undercarriage work.

I watched that guy repaint a particular 55 Chevy Bel Air SIX TIMES. This was with that uber expensive House of Kolor candy paint, too. Any one of the six paint jobs would have THRILLED me if it was on my car, but he found some flaw somewhere, and redid it five times. It was the most gorgeous candy apple red and pearl white two tone I have ever seen when it finally left his shop. I miss him. He was a good guy, even if he was terrible at the business side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2020, 7:12 PM

Depends on how bad the rust is. Sand blasting is the best method.

Too many Yankee winters or marine air/use?***

Apr 27, 2020, 8:10 AM

Apr 27, 2020, 10:35 AM

I restore vintage cars and POR 15 is the best stuff I've found. Don't use it in a closed space and be careful with it. Good stuff.

A good shower does it for me.

Apr 28, 2020, 10:22 PM

I try to always use a good quality soap and floss my buttcrack with a wash cloth. If it's bad down there I use a hand towel so I can long stroke and apply plenty of power to the rusty spot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 2,649
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic